HMS Oberon class submarine

Shar2

HMS Oberon class submarine

1:700 OKB Grigorov

Box.jpg

History

The 295.2 feet (90.0 m) long Oberon class was based heavily on the preceding Porpoise class of submarines, which were in service from 1956 to 1988. Changes from the Porpoise design were primarily to improve the strength and stealth of the submarine. Instead of UXW steel, the hull was built from QT28 steel, which was easier to fabricate and stronger, allowing the submarine to dive deeper. Glass-reinforced plastic was used in construction of the casing.

Electronics, sonar, and radar systems were also upgraded to the latest standard. The submarines were equipped with a Type 1002 surface search and navigation radar, Type 187 Active-Passive attack sonar, and Type 2007 long range passive sonar.

The Oberons were constructed at a variety of shipyards in the United Kingdom: the six Australian and two Chilean submarines by Scotts Shipbuilding and Engineering Company; the three Brazilian submarines by Vickers-Armstrongs; and the three Canadian submarines at Chatham Dockyard. Construction of the British submarines was shared amongst four dockyards: the three mentioned above and Cammell Laird.

Armament

The Oberons were originally armed with eight 21-inch (533.4 mm) torpedo tubes: six tubes in the bow, and two short tubes for anti-submarine defence in the stern. The submarine normally carried a payload of 20 torpedoes for the forward tubes; a mix of Mark 24 Tigerfish and Mark 8 torpedoes, while only the two pre-loaded torpedoes were carried for the stern tubes. Naval mines could be carried instead of torpedoes: the forward torpedo payload would be replaced with up to 50 Mark 5 Stonefish or Mark 6 Sea Urchin mines.

The Model

The model arrives in the standard small sturdy cardboard box with a picture of one of the class moored alongside. The model, as stated on the box is 129mm long. Inside, beneath the small instruction sheet, the parts are well protected in the companies usual manner with the main, one piece full hull is in a poly sponge wrapper within a bubblewrap cocoon with the other parts, both resin and etch. The six resin parts include the propeller shafts, fore and aft diveplanes, plus the propeller bosses. Etched parts are provided for the propellers, the propeller shaft support brackets and display stand. Detail is very nice and fine with the possible exception of the deck hatches which, as in their other kits are a little deep, but should look ok with a coat or two of paint. Construction is pretty simple, just attach the diveplanes to their relative positions, fold the prop shaft “A” frames and glue into position with the shafts. The propeller blades need to be twisted to shape and glued onto the end of the shafts, and then attach the bosses to the centre of each propeller. There are no painting guides, so research will need to be carried out to assess the correct colours.

Oberon.jpg

Hull%20side.jpg

Diveplanes.jpg

Etch.jpg

Etch2.jpg

Conclusion

This is another great little model of a British submarine, always a good thing to see, as there are too few of them about. I can easily recommend this to all submarine modellers. Even if you don’t normally build in 1:700, buy one, you never know, it may lead to one in 1:350 being released.

bin.jpg

Many thanks to Georgi of OKB Grigorov for supplying the review sample.

logo.gif

You and me both mate. I've sent them an email asking for such.

Nice, but I wish they would do them in a bigger scale!

Julien

You and me both mate. I've sent them an email asking for such.

I got one of the O class from finewaterline I think it was a group of moddellers who do limited runs of resin kits £7 waterline not full hull they are worth keeping your eye on cause you dont know what to expect

Edited by grahamwalker

Resin Shipyard already do a very nice Canadian O class in 1/350 (http://www.resinshipyard.com/pages/kit_pages/ojibwa.html) if you wanted to build an RN O or P depending on which boat and when, I think the biggest change needed would be the Sonar dome. My one built as Oppossum returning from the Gulf in '91 with camouflage is here: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/ss...a/aa-index.html

opossum-01.jpg

Prices vary. You can buy direct from OKB Grigorov or White Ensign Models and Britishforcesmodels have it in stock.

Watch WEM as I just ordered from them only to be told they are waiting for a restock!

You would think in this day and age a live stock level would be on a web site!

Julien

A nice little kit SHAR2. I have one set aside which I would like to modify as HMS Alliance. I think some scopes and masts would finish it off nicely !! It is a shame the kit does not include these.

I can also recommend the Finewaterline O-boats. I have about 10 of these waterline models for a diorama I am planning, but am not sure if they are still being produced.

MT Miniatures do a waterline Oberon in 1:700. To my eye, they seem to sit a little too high in the water and being cast metal may make it more difficult for less experienced modellers to lower it.

There is also another 1:350 scale Oberon down in Australia. 1:350 Oberon

At $33 it seems quite a good price, however, I would imagine the postal costs may be quite high. It is also quite difficult to see the level of detail due to their photo.

As you have probably guessed, I like Oberon class boats !!

John

Oh, good find John. Yeah, I've found importing from OZ get rather expensive. Might give it a go though, and I think you're right with the masts etc.