1/72 AZmodel Spitfire XIV

Hello,

this is the second AZmodel Spitfire I've finished.

Building this kit is not an easy task - some smaller parts have to be adjusted to make them fit, the wing to fuselage joint is poor, and the canopy isn't very clear (even though I used clear cote to enhance transparency).

The propeller blades have to be lined up individually - something I never manage to get right ....

In endless sanding sessions I erased most of the engraved detail on the inner wing, tried to re-engrave the panel lines but failed due to the amount of filler used (which simply splittered away when trying to restore the panel lines).

The model was painted using Gunze/Mr.Hobby acrylics and my trusted Evolution airbrush.

Decals come from Red Roo, representing a machine of RAF 451 (Australian) Squadron in 1945.

a_DSC5327.jpg

a_DSC5331.jpg

a_DSC5323.jpg

a_DSC5332.jpg

a_DSC5326.jpg

a_DSC5330.jpg

a_DSC5329.jpg

a_DSC5328.jpg

a_DSC5335.jpg

a_DSC5334.jpg

All in all not my best effort ever made but a welcome addition to my ever-growing collection of Spitfires.

I'll be trying my clusmy paws on the Sword Spitfire series next time, they promise to be an easier build for mediocre modellers like me.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers from Vienna, Austria

Roman Schilhart

• Like 3

Well done Roman,

Thanks for building one of our Australian Griffon Spits.

I have the Red Roo sheet and want to do a Mk XIV - up to now I have to choose whether to build my Ventura kit or get a Fujimi. I think the AZ would be somewhere between the two in ease of build.

Cheers

Michael

Great work lad !! I have the AZ model spitfire VII next on my list after the Legato Hurricane currently on the bench... This certainly gets me excited to get started on it :)

Any particular things to remember ? :)

Any particular things to remember ? :)

Dear Chris,

you really need to take your time with this kit.

It may look crisp in the box with all that fine engraved detail and the relative low parts count (ca. 60), but a quick build it ain't.

The major problem area is the wing/fuselage joint.

The propeller blades need to be assembled individually, which caused a bit of headache regarding the correct angle.

A jig would have been very useful.

There is no aiming device included in the kit.

Even though the canopy is nicely detailed, there is no option to display the cockpit open, as the canopy is a one-piece affair.

I also built this F21:

a_DSC1621.jpg

It suffered from a poor quality canopy, just like the XIV.

I strongly recommend to replace this kit part with aftermarket item or, regarding the VIII, with the 1/72 Italeri Mk.IX, like I did on my F21.

The canopy is the weakest part of the kit I think.

A few years ago, most short-run manufacturers included Vacuform canopies with their kits - a pity this tradition doesn't continue....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A few years ago, most short-run manufacturers included Vacuform canopies with their kits - a pity this tradition doesn't continue....

Unfortunately a lot of those vacform canopies eg MPM's start turning brown after a few years in the stash so it's swings and roundabouts.

Hi Roman,

Pretty result there, hope mine turns out as well. I have that kit and their Mk.XVIII also. I gather from Colin Ovens that I'll have to reposition the camera ports on that one.

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor

Thats a nice pair of Spitfires,I really like the Mk.21 any chance of a couple more photos of that. These AZ kits are a lot of work and I'm not real keen on the canopies but if you are doing a few Spitfires you could always get the Falcon set of Vac canopies for Spits its not very expensive and covers all the diferent types .

Hello Roman

Well it looks like a Spit and a nice one ..

I have this kit in my stash with some Fujimi ones ..

I am currently building the Sword Mk IX and the wing to fuselage fitting is far from perfect ..