RAF pre war silver dope colour

Graham T

Graham,

Yes it sprays very well. I used Floquil Dio Sol as the thinner, I believe. And as I say, afterwards, spray with Metalizer sealer. This does not change the appearance of the Old Silver, and will prevent the finish from rubbing off during normal handling. I also decal over the sealer without spraying a gloss coat over it, but you may want to spray a gloss or semi-gloss to seal decals in, though I think in the past I have just recoated with the sealer.

Bob

Just had an email back from Metalsmiths. No stocks of this colour & they are discontinuing the range due to "import difficulties". :hanging: Therefore I'll give Citadel Mithril silver a go. What does it thin with? White spirit? Enamel thinners?

Edited by Graham T

Just had an email back from Metalsmiths. No stocks of this colour & they are discontinuing the range due to "import difficulties". :hanging: Therefore I'll give Citadel Mithril silver a go. What does it thin with? White spirit? Enamel thinners?

Hi Graham - it thins with Tamiya acrylic thinners, or Future/ Klear/Quick Shine, or water, or a mix of the three. Neat Isoprop s a bit hot for it, though in the past, Ive thinned a little with tamiya first then added isoprop - whick seemed to work OK.

Cheers

Jonners

Any of the non-buffing metalizer type finishes work really well for painted aluminum (okay, aluminium) or dope. Especially so if you put a coat of satin over it. The grain is very fine.

BTW, I ***highly*** recommend the Talon acrylic line. They don't stink up the house, and they work like a charm. I don't know why they're not more wildly popular than they are. People seem to strugge with Alclad and primers and such. Talon recommends *against* priming, and the acrylic paint won't melt your model.

Edited by Jennings Heilig

• 1 month later...

I use Alclad Duraluminum for fabric surfaces and Alclad Aluminum with a light overspray of Alclad Polished Aluminum for metal surfaces.

That's the same colors I use also. I overcoat it with Testor's Metallizer Sealer before and after decal application with good results.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...