RAF pre war silver dope colour

Graham T

What paint do others use for this purpose? I've ben using Humbrol 11 which goes on quite well & dries quickly but I've had adhesion problems with it & it can be a bit grainy. I apply a gloss varnish to it to deal with both issues but is there a better option out there?

I use Lifecolor LC74 for High Speed Silver. Admittedly that's a post-war colour, but I intend to use it for silver dope when I build that Airfix Swordfish I keep promising myself.

I had adhesion problems with all sorts of paints. They all stopped once I started using Alclad2 grey primer.

Edited by Enzo Matrix

Gents,

Further to this question, as a very new airbrush user (I cant believe how much paint I can get everywere but the model) do any of you have any recommendations for which silver will spray well and look good, I mainly make interwar bi planes, however if I can master the beast Luftwaffe aircraft are looking interesting.

Cheers :rolleyes:

Gents,

Further to this question, as a very new airbrush user (I cant believe how much paint I can get everywere but the model) do any of you have any recommendations for which silver will spray well and look good, I mainly make interwar bi planes, however if I can master the beast Luftwaffe aircraft are looking interesting.

Cheers :rolleyes:

Well as I said above, Humbrol 11 sprays rather well but doesn't seem to adhere very well through an airbrush, causing it to lift when you remove any masking. I'm going to try Xtracolour X216 as someone here suggests on the next project, however I find metallics from this brand of paint rather grainy so a coat of gloss varnish will no doubt be necessary before decalling. HTH

Citadels Mithril Silver sprays very nicely thinned with Tamiya thinners (white cap) and soesn't have that grainy finish that other silvers have, Tamiyas XF-16 to name one.

Alclad also have an excellent finish and the Vallejo model air metallics brush and spray beautifully too.

Well as I said above, Humbrol 11 sprays rather well but doesn't seem to adhere very well through an airbrush, causing it to lift when you remove any masking. I'm going to try Xtracolour X216 as someone here suggests on the next project, however I find metallics from this brand of paint rather grainy so a coat of gloss varnish will no doubt be necessary before decalling. HTH

Hello

I didn't have any trouble with the decals on this little kit :

m_168298112_0.jpg

m_168298113_0.jpg

Patrick

Edited by VG 33
  • Like 2

What paint do others use for this purpose? I've ben using Humbrol 11 which goes on quite well & dries quickly but I've had adhesion problems with it & it can be a bit grainy. I apply a gloss varnish to it to deal with both issues but is there a better option out there?

Alclad White Aluminium sprays nicely and doesn't need trhe black undercoat. Could also be another job for Halfords Nissan Silver with a top coat of artists acrylic matt varnish. Looks great on my silver Meteors. I expect the pundits will now hit the keyboards and berate me for not telling you to get the correct pre war dope!

• Like 1

I use a mix of Humbrol 11 Silver and Matt White 34, at I would guess roughly a 50/50 mix, maybe a touch more Silver.

003-23.jpg

Haven't tried the Mithril Silver, seems popular though.

Hi, found that Mithral Silver gives a nice High Speed Silver effect,

for silver doped fabric also find that silver and white mix gives a

nice metallic greyish finish, don't think it matters too much which

silver is used, I have a jar of Humbrol polished aluminium metalcote

mixed with white which I have used for ages.

Cheers

I use a mix of Humbrol 11 Silver and Matt White 34, at I would guess roughly a 50/50 mix, maybe a touch more Silver.

003-23.jpg

Haven't tried the Mithril Silver, seems popular though.

Thanks for that Doug ....adding the white gives that nice contrast between the doped fabric and the metal surfaces...

Regards Trevor .. :D

I used Mithril silver mixed with some skull white on my Demon build, then over varnished with Quick Shine ( ie Klear acrylic type stuff) that had some SNJ aluminimum polishing powder mixed in. Worked really well I thought.

The Mithril Silver/ skull white mix also looks a lot like Post WW2 USN Corro-guard for leading edges too - just in case Im not the only interwar aircraft fan with a penchant for early USN jets too!! :)

Cheers

jonners

• 3 weeks later...

A little late, but I recommend one combination not to use. For my pre-war Airfix Swordfish, I decided to use a mix of Tamiya Chrome Silver and Tamiya Flat White (approx 50/50) It looked great till I tried masking, even with Tamiya tape, I had lift-off that clearly showed stripes where the tape had been applied. Now I amy puzzling how to remove all this 'bad' paint so I can try something else.

More tape perhaps?

LOL, slow but maybe ... Based on the aftermath of removing the masking, my theory is the flat white didn't mix nicely with the chrome silver and some of the white pigment lifted of with the tape since I ended up with more silvery stripes where the tape had been used. Since I use acrylics, I will try the Talon aluminium once I buckle down and clean off the previous attempt.

• 4 weeks later...

One of my basic rules, learned after more than 50 years of modelling experience: Never ever use masking tape over metal paints! It is asking for trouble.

Another of my rules: Don't use enamel varnish over Humbrol 11. It makes it look even more grainy.

[DSCF5018.jpg

DSCF5015.jpg

Graham,

I am working on these using Floquil Old Silver as silver dope and Model Master Silver Chrome Trim as polished metal. Unfortunately, after I masked over the silver chrome trim, it was necessary to use some SNJ aluminum polishing powder to restore some of the finish. Also, in order to avoid rubbing off the Old Silver in handling (which I did, and had to respray), I sprayed Model Master Metalizer Sealer over, masking off the polished panels. We're all curious, I'm sure, to see what you chose.

Bob