Micro Sol/Set

Steven

Hi I was just wondering if Sol and Set have a shelf life?

Sol is supposed to make the decals wrinkle up and when dry they will have conformed to the contours of the model. The Sol I have is quite old and never does the above.

Any advice would be greatfull.

Regards Steve

Steve

I've had my two pots for about six years now and they still work. How old are yours ? . I can't see anything on the bottle with an expiry date or shelf life.

Gary...

Hi Gary,

I must have had them for over 10 years!!

Steve

The very first time I tried Micro Sol/Set (with some Tamiya decals) I had the scrunch up and then settle effect, however I've not had it since, irrespective of manufacturer (Revell, Trumpeter, Dragon, Italeri, Academy). Luckily I've not had any complex shapes to conform to and the decals look OK once set, though am curious as to why it seemed to 'work' the first time and never since!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi I was just wondering if Sol and Set have a shelf life?

Sol is supposed to make the decals wrinkle up and when dry they will have conformed to the contours of the model. The Sol I have is quite old and never does the above.

Any advice would be greatfull.

Regards Steve

Hi Steve, Micro Set is the horrible one and needs to be tested carefully because it can attack some decals. Micro Sol is much gentler and will not normally cause wrinkling. I'm using bottles of both that are over 30 years old now if that helps.

As an aside, don't get either near wet Klear because it causes it (the Klear) to go lumpy with solids appearing. I found this out when using Klear to settle decals which it does nicely (but work quick becauise it dries quick!) and I used Micro Set on a large decal to get it into panel lines and it hit some wet Klear on an adjacent decal.