british subs

fatalbert

Pit road M-class 1/350 resin to add to the list.

And a pit road X-craft on evilbay at the moment.

Every model maker has subs except airfix (ok recent Trafalgar apart)

I would be ok with anything in 1/400, 1/350, 1/144, 1/72 though 1/72 would be huge.

I just don't get on with really wee scales.

I have a mere 18 built subs (nothing compared to the amazing Flankerman)

and I have tiny 62 in the stash (don't tell Fiona GeeBeez)

One built Brit, Undine

and 4 different brits in the stash, another u class, sokol (a u class) and the airfix trafalger, HMS Victorious

But I do have, built and otherwise, German,French,Polish,Italian,Chinese, Japanese, Russian, American submarines

Oh I have just remembered the air-speede 1/144 x-craft (resin) and tiny

I maintain that a 1/350 T-class (ww2 era) would sell well and is capable of being varied through at least 3 design stages so several models could be made by adding variation to the basic molds (but this might be ignorance of the manufactoring process on my part)

And I'm sorry I wouldn't buy 1/700. Brilliant work out there in 1/700 but not my bag and I don't think as popular as 1/350 0r 1/72 though I actually think 1/144 is the perfect subscale

Heyho

I'm of to see if my pig can fly.

:cheers:

Adam

I guess I am still in the military mindset of getting things done regardless of the barriers put infront of us.

Time is the real enemy of most manufacturers. It takes time to research the subject, aquire/produce scale drawings, build a master model, produce moulds and then casting.

If we could relieve the time burden by doing our own research, scale plans and a master model, we could then present this package to a resin casting company who would only be left with making the mould and casting the object.

If you think I am talking rubbish then I will gladly get back in my box and say no more, but personally, I feel that if you really want something, it is just a matter of doing what is required to make it happen.

John

Certainly not rubbish, but where are the people you need? You can certainly find some of them with WEM, and others in the finewaterline group.

http://www.finewaterline.com/default.htm

There's no need to reinvent the wheel. There are people who have followed the route ahead of you, and will be willing to help. There's no need to bash through or vault the barriers if you can walk around them. In military terms - reconnaissance.

The first step will made by an individual who wants it so much as to gather up the necessary data and produce the necessary plans. If you have other individuals with the required skills and fire - and preferably experience - then fine. Otherwise work those already established or even sub (sorry!) contract.

@ Graham Boak:

You are exactly right in what you say. I never meant to start from the begining from scratch. I used the term "resin casting company" as I did not want to mention specific companies like WEM or Finewaterline incase it was not something they would not like to persue. Naturally, we would seek their advice as we are far better off working with people who have experience in this field.

What I am saying, is that between us all, we could decide on a class of Sub, decide on a scale and then set to work gathering as much info and scale drawings as we can. Then, in liason with a resin caster we could set about building a master model and progress towards having a model made/commissioned.

There is a wealth of knowledge and experience between us fellow modellers, and if we want a model of a certain sub or a certain scale, lets put our heads together and come up with a plan.

As for plans I am pretty sure the plans for T class, U class and S class went from Cammell Lairds to the Merseyside Maritime museum.

I know they were in the archive when I was poking around in there before I left.

We were in there finding stuff on the CSS Alabama.

I saw all the Admiralty photos taken inside HMS Thetis when it was raised, not pretty I can tell you.

I know there were some offset books in there (basically all the hull dimensions)

Julien

Just an idle thought.....

Hobby Boss have done a 1:350 scale kit of the French Surcouf.....

Surcouf_350_01%20.JPG

I don't know what it sold like - but they do have a 'Feedback' page here :- http://www.hobbyboss.com/plus/guestbook.php

I've just been on it and suggested a T Class - maybe if we all did it, they might respond ???

Just a thought....

Ken

Just an idle thought.....

Hobby Boss have done a 1:350 scale kit of the French Surcouf.....

Surcouf_350_01%20.JPG

I don't know what it sold like - but they do have a 'Feedback' page here :- http://www.hobbyboss.com/plus/guestbook.php

I've just been on it and suggested a T Class - maybe if we all did it, they might respond ???

Just a thought....

Ken

Added my thought...