british subs

fatalbert

From what I understand, NO. Although saying that, Mirage do a 1/400 HMS Undine and a Polish U class. I've asked a couple of companies about this lack of wartime subs, particularly S, T and U classes. They were interested, but somewhat busy at the moment, so don't hold your breath.

HMS Undine in 1/400 from Poland (Mirage?) with the Polish-manned Sokol(?) as an alternative. Choice of early or later bow.

I also have a pair of resin T-class in 1/700, but I don't know of any others. Unless you can do HMS Graph from one of the U-boat kits - any ideas, anyone?

u570 was a standard type v11c so could be built from any type v11c from the 1/144 to 1/72 scale , their were no extenal mods made by the rn as she was used as test boat to learn how a uboat handled. in fact the name graph was a pun on all the paperwork she produced in reports

Pitroad resin 1/350

T-class Group 2 (HMS Hens teeth ?)

Also K class but that's between the wars really.

Mirage (& AGA) U Class HMS Undine

Mirage (& AGA) ORP Sokol which is a later type U class without the upper torpedo tubes.

Also a huge RC T Class but I forget which RC brand.

And always one of my rants... :angrysoapbox.sml: that our national model maker, Airfix, has never done submarines from the home nation. I'm not being zenophobic but every nation with a model manufacturer seems to have model subs from their home nation....except Britain. Pah and now the Italians are going to produce an x-craft which will sell like hot cakes...

Oh I forgot Pavla or Chorozy have done resin x-craft.

:cheers:

Adam

Try post 4. Loose Cannon sell the T class but they have been "inherited" and are not their own tooling.

Airfix did repackage the Mirage 4-stacker DD but perhaps missed a chance to do the same with the Undine. Surely any British supplier would have sold it under the name Unbroken? Perhaps it was the resin and etchings that put Airfix off, assuming they ever considered it.

Yes, the T class were originally from Toms Modelworks, but I wouldn't worry about inheritance at least they are out there, just a shame they are waterline only. Flankerman has done them with scratchbuilt hulls.

We are currently negotiating a trade deal with a company who produce 1:700 scale waterline subs.

They produce U-class (group 1+2), O-class (group 2) and Ex USN S-class.

We have a couple of enquiries ongoing about T-class boats but still awaiting replies.

Shame revell didnt follow up there 1/72 german and yank subs with a brit one.one can but hope.

I don't generally build subs as modern ones anyway are just a bunch of black cigars :rolleyes: , but even I would be seriously tempted by a 1/72nd T class, meanest looking subs ever.

There was also a Pit Road ww2 O class, I managed to find both the O and the T on eBay a few years ago, but never again. Personally, I'd love to see S, T and U classes kitted.

My ones are here:

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/ss...a/aa-index.html

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/ss...a/aa-index.html

Nice work!

We are currently negotiating a trade deal with a company who produce 1:700 scale waterline subs.

We have a couple of enquiries ongoing about T-class boats but still awaiting replies.

Sounds interesting John, but we NEED then in 1:350 as well :pray:

Indeed a T class submarine in 1/72 would be my cup of thee.

Also to build it for my father in law, who was a cook on one in the late 50's. This was with the dutch navy (who was operating 4 T class submarines I believe).

I built a couple of T class boats in 1:700 scale - waterline models from a company called Seawaves.

I scratchbuilt the hulls as I prefer them this way rather than waterline.....

HMS%20Totem_01.jpg

I've also scratchbuilt a few pre-WWII British subs in the same scale....

HMS%20K-4_01.jpg

HMS%20M1_01.jpg

Surcouf_01.jpg

I've now 'upscaled' to 1:350 scale - and I agree, it would be nice to have some WWII British subs in this scale.

I have the Pitt Road 1:350 resin O Class in the stash.

If the Ukrainian companies called Micro-Mir & AMP can do 3 Soviet WWII subs in 1:350 scale.......

350_K%20Class_01.jpg

350_S-Class_01.jpg

350_SHCH-303_01.jpg

.... why not some British stuff ???

Ken

PS - All my subs are here

@ Flankerman: Thats a nice collection of subs you have there, and some nice work scratchbuilding the hulls.

@ Everyone: Is this not something that us modellers could work together on ? We all have skills in a wide range of areas such as: Scratchbuilding, CAD, Resin casting, research etc. Could we put our skills together and come up with a group of modellers who could make this sort of thing happen............or is that just wishfull thinking on my part ?

Edited by John Day

@ Flankerman: Thats a nice collection of subs you have there, and some nice work scratchbuilding the hulls.

@ Everyone: Is this not something that us modellers could work together on ? We all have skills in a wide range of areas such as: Scratchbuilding, CAD, Resin casting, research etc. Could we put our skills together and come up with a group of modellers who could make this sort of thing happen............or is that just wishfull thinking on my part ?

A great idea....tried herding cats lately? I think you'd need a few in the same place. Model companies have probably been formed this way!

A great idea....tried herding cats lately? I think you'd need a few in the same place. Model companies have probably been formed this way!

That made me laugh, I can just picture it.

My train of thought was to have someone who was good at CAD draw up or re-scale some plans and then pass them on to a scratchbuilder, who, in turn passes his scratchbuild on to a resin caster etc, etc. You are probably right though, would be hard to keep on top of. The people involved would have to be really committed.

Just a thought.

John