(Airfix Spit F.22) Look what's just out!

Vulcanicity

As with the mk I, drill out the fuselage locator ports and the fuselage closes easier, giving a tighter fit. When the cockpit goes in, clamp the fuselage shut at the fuel tank. After that, it should just clip into the wing. Not tightly but it's not likely to fall off either.

I also noticed that a swipe with a sanding stick on the front mating/leading edge helps fit too.

Thanks for the advice on that Wooksta, much appreciated!

If you put the cockpit frames in without trimming/filing, then I'm not surprised if they force the fuselage too wide, though I only checked the wing fit and didn't get as far as fully fitting the wing. Removing the small amount of flash around the frame helps - and yes, that troublesome location where the floor fits that Wooksta mentioned. The only fuselage location pin I had trouble with was the one in front of the fin, the others closed firmly but without gaps. I was quite impressed with the quality of these location pins, but if they are such a good interference fit now then this may deteriorate with wear. Or do the short production runs nowadays mean that producers don't have to worry about such things on new tools?

The outer one is too short - maybe the inner one too, but less noticeably. This is right for late Mk.24s but Mk.22s and early Mk.24s have two long barrels each side.

Thanks Graham

If it's mainly the outer that's too short , does it mean that we've basically got late Mk24 cannon outboard & Mk 22/early 24 cannon inboard ?

Might be worth looking at a set of those beautiul turned brass gun barrels from Master in Poland. Can be bought t some reasonable prices from traders on ebay. I've a set or three and they look absolutely perfect.

Yes , I'd been thinking about that . Or let natural meanness come to the fore , shorten the inner barrel too & call it a 24 !!

I believe what we've got is a Mk.24 set-up, and you do not want to shorten the inner one for any option. I think the inner one is the right length for an outer Mk.22 (or near enough, maybe a bit long, confirmation would be nice) but I'm simply intending to swop with the barrels from my AZ Mk.24 - which are the right length for a Mk.22 but not for a 24! That's what comes of offering common tooling for 22 and 24 kits without looking too closely, perhaps. The different fuselage hatch position prevents me just swopping decals.

I agree that the turned brass barrels will look nicer still, with the additional benefit of presumably removing any residual doubt over the precise lengths they should be.

Has anyone seen further comment on the prop diameter? This was brought up earlier but I didn't see it enlarged upon, so I've gone digging. I think it to be a fair match for the 10ft 5in prop as used on the earlier two-stage Griffon Spitfires, as opposed to the 11ft 10in as used on the Mk.24. Spitfire The History doesn't give diameters for the Mk.21 or 22, but I'm sure I've seen it suggested that they had the smaller and larger props respectively. The Airkit Mk.22 gives the larger prop - the AZ one is somewhere in between but nearer the larger. Hopefully Quickboost will help out here? From a quick and dirty estimate the Airfix is just under 45mm diameter, the AZ about 47mm and the Airkit 48mm. You might like to check my measurements and my calculations.

One question I have about this kit for anyone in the know is the colour callout for the cockpit. Instead of the usual Humbrol 78, Airfix suggest a colour numbered 120, which from the picture on the Humbrol website looks nothing like a British cockpit colour:http://www.humbrol.com/paints/all-paints/aa1328-120-light-green-14ml-matt-enamel-tinlet/?searchguid=2012620142929&resultspage=

To me this suggests one of four things:

1. Humbrol are correct, and late Spitfires had a totally different darker green cockpit colour which is represented by 120

2. The colour swatch on the website is way out, and Humbrol 120 is a new colour which represents the paler, "Sky-like" colour of earlier Spitfires (Was this still used on mk.22s?)

3. Both the Humbrol website and the instructions are wrong, and I should just use the pale "Sky-like" green of other Spitfire cockpits.

4. I thought that post-war Spitfires had cockpits repainted in Black anyway. Is this right? (I've not seen a picture of a Spitfire 22 cockpit)

Any ideas?

Humbrol 120 was added to the standard range, about 30 years ago I think, having originally been one of the later Authentic colours, intended to match Israeli Green FS 34227. I would see it as an apple green. Sounds to me like it's intended to be an alternative to 78 for cockpit grey/green. Airfix suggested 90 for the Spitfire Mk XII's cockpit. I used Tamiya XF21 for that application as it's darker than any other representation of Sky that I have, including 90.

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone who pre-ordered this kit at the "special low price" from Amazon got their kits? My order is still shown as pending delivery even though elsewhere Amazon are showing the kit in stock for £8.00 + £3.00 delivery!

Has anyone who pre-ordered this kit at the "special low price" from Amazon got their kits? My order is still shown as pending delivery even though elsewhere Amazon are showing the kit in stock for £8.00 + £3.00 delivery!

Well, not me. And I'm still waiting for the Bf 109 and Skyhawk as well.

Edited by Seahawk

I ordered 3 of the kits, especially because of the silly low price! Unless they end up as usual sending a e-mail, stating that suppliers dont hold stock! In two minds to cancel order and just buy the kit at normal price! But living in hope, and keeping me fingers crossed! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I ordered 3 of the kits, especially because of the silly low price! Unless they end up as usual sending a e-mail, stating that suppliers dont hold stock! In two minds to cancel order and just buy the kit at normal price! But living in hope, and keeping me fingers crossed! :)

Hello one and all..... My space to shout and curse those damn Amazon!!!!! Concerning the Mk 22 Spitfire, they kindly sent me a e-mail saying their suppliers could not get hold of any more stock of said kit! I thinks a few of us were mugged, because of the stupid price they originally said they were going to sell it for!!!!! There was me hoping to get three of the beauties for 16 squid! Feel let down..... Take it there are a few out there feeling the same! Flippin Amazon! Seeing ive spent god knows how much on there with one thing and another! Well there is my shout!!!!! Noe going to rip a sheet of paper in anger!

Well, not me. And I'm still waiting for the Bf 109 and Mustang as well.

Two e-mails received yesterday cancelling Spitfire, Bf 109E, Skyhawk and Swordfish floatplane. Sent snortingly rude e-mail to Amazon, suggesting that 2 of the 4 were now in the shops and that, if they were serious about wanting to obtain stocks, an order to Hornby of Margate, who are not exactly difficult to track down, might do the trick.

I picked up my Spit 22 from eBay and it arrived over a week ago. Not started it yet as I decided (rather stupidly!) to have a crack at my old Matchbox Spitfire 24. It's a pig of an aeroplane to put together - especially the cockpit and engine areas - so I've decided to "simplify" things by leaving out the fiddly bits and making it like a large 1/72 model!

Anyway, I do look forward to building the Mk.22. I did build a 1/72 resin Mk.24 a few years back and that was a nightmare!