Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
JMChladek

EW-5894 Oscar from Hot Shots (Airfix Folland Gnat)

Recommended Posts

Okay, well here it is, two weeks from the end of the GB and I haven't gotten one thing finished. The Hunters "MiG" sits partially built, but I got tied up with another commitment at the time. As for other GB candidates, I've got two Hobby Boss F-5Es I've been working on. One (an OOB build) will become a Top Gun Mig-28, although I didn't want to post it here since I didn't want to steal the thunder from the Mig-28 already in the works. The second one using some bits scrounged from an Italeri F-5E I built when I was a wee lad (canopy and intakes mainly) is going to become Shin Kazanma's jet from the Area 88 Anime/Manga series. Maybe I'll get back to that and bang it out, but I don't feel like working on it just at the moment.

So I come to a quickie project. Yesterday at my local hobby shop, I see they've finally gotten in the all new tool Airfix 1/72 Folland Gnat kit for a great price. So I picked it up. I admit, the dayglo orange and HSS paintjob is tempting, but I see most every Gnat done on Britmodeler has been the stock scheme. While I plan to do one in that scheme eventually, I figure it is time to trick this bird up a bit.

Therefore, I am going to do the Gnats used in the parody film Hot Shots. I don't have the DVD, but I was able to find a few excellent screen caps online. So I've got enough to start. Plus, 24 Hours of LeMans starts in a few hours, so I think I'll have a go at seeing how much I can do while watching the race (no I am not going to try to bang this out in 24 hours). Wish me luck! Pictures to follow in a few...

And I might try to use a little 2 part epoxy putty to see if I can scratch a suction cup Garfield for the back seat canopy. ;)

Edited by JMChladek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice idea! Not seen the new Gnat kit, but should come together quickly enough for the deadline, and the paint job is straight forward :)

Good luck!

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I got some work done on the bird this weekend. First off, kudos go to Airfix for designing a cracking good little kit for a price that won't break the bank. This little kit has some beautiful detailing on it and if the rest of my build goes as well... I should end up with a very nice model. I'll have to get more of these kits though as I still want to do a normal Gnat in the HSS and orange colors, as well as the Yellowjacks and Red Arrows schemes.

boxart1.jpg

First of all, we have the cockpit. This kit is being built out of the box. Even though the planes in Hot Shots had a cover over the rear seat, I probably won't add one (or I'll make it removable if I do). Once the canopy is down, I doubt much will be seen in back anyway (especially if my plan to scratchbuild a suction cup Garfield is successful).

ckpit1.jpg

I added some small strips of tape for the seat belts (although next time I'll go with thinner tape as these look a little thick). I won't be putting pilots in the pit for this build as I'm scrounging the pilots for another project.

ckpit2.jpg

The pit fits into the fuselage halves perfectly. A light wash of enamel black over acrylic gray pops out the details on the side walls just enough for my uses. How did anyone ever fit in these planes?

ckpit3.jpg

So, this is where I am at now. I've dealt with most of the seams on the bird. BTW, I recommend sticking the fuselage halves together before putting the undercarriage bays in. That way, you can deal with seams on the bottom of the fuselage more easily. Granted one can still deal with the seams after the bays and gear struts are installed, but you do have to work around them. And I can't see an effective way to stick the struts in AFTER the bays are installed and the fuselage is together. I love how these bays practically slotted into place!

undrcrrge1.jpg

And here she is with the wing installed. I did add a tiny amount of weight to the nose as an insurance policy against tail sitting. I may not have needed it. But I wasn't going to take any chances. In a nose that tight, a little is all you can fit anyway.

wip1.jpg

So that is where I am. Next come the sausage tanks (rocket pods in Hot Shots) and the tailplanes. I should be ready to primer this bird in a day or two. I had better get busy on designing the decals then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This should be good, looking forward to seeing this all built up. The Navy ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...