G-ARPY

Hello everyone

I'm thinking off doing a display up Norwich aviation museum to remover the four crew that lost there lives in the trident crash in Norfolj.

It's greatly unheard off, it was the first crash of a trident. It was te planes first flight, it was due to be delivered the next day, but the pilots accidentally put the aircraft in a unrecoverable super stall.

The red square BEA livery never even saw commercial action.

I'm only 16, so this is long before my days, but can any one help me get some information on the accident, the Internet isn't very helpful.

Does anyone know why happened to the wreckage, it was pretty much complete, other than the tail breaking off and the fuselage was squashed flat.

Where can I get a crash report?

Where can I get part of a trident to put on display?

Thanks Bradley

Hello everyone

I'm thinking off doing a display up Norwich aviation museum to remover the four crew that lost there lives in the trident crash in Norfolj.

It's greatly unheard off, it was the first crash of a trident. It was te planes first flight, it was due to be delivered the next day, but the pilots accidentally put the aircraft in a unrecoverable super stall.

The red square BEA livery never even saw commercial action.

I'm only 16, so this is long before my days, but can any one help me get some information on the accident, the Internet isn't very helpful.

Does anyone know why happened to the wreckage, it was pretty much complete, other than the tail breaking off and the fuselage was squashed flat.

Where can I get a crash report?

Where can I get part of a trident to put on display?

Thanks Bradley

To get hold of the crash report you need to contact the aaib if you want a part of a real trident you will need a bank lone as aircraft parts are well over £10,000 the older the aircraft the more it costs

I think I will just spend the rest of the year with a metal detector hunting for the remains of the wreck.

The reports not on there website.

No you will have to ask for it but they might not let you have them as they are a bit funny about it and might have to go to there office to see it

Think you will be best just using what you can find on the Internet

Coincidentally Monday is the fortieth anniversary of the loss of G-ARPI (Papa India") at Staines with the loss of 119 lives. 'PI was also the victim of a deep stall, precipitated by premature retraction of the leading edge droops. There was much controversy surrounding this crash and certain sectors of the red top press unfairly and unreasonably made a great deal of the lack of experience of the P2 and P3, Jeremy Keighley and Simon Ticehurst. P1, Stanley Key,was the handling pilot at the time and suffered from a heart condition and this may have affected the way in which he flew that day.

The aircraft wreckage was too badly damaged for the investigators to determine who had retracted the droops (the autopilot "height acquire" selector and indicator, for example: if it could have been seen to have been set to the next cleared flight level of "60" it could have indicated that Captain Key had retracted the droops while Jeremy Keighley set noise abatement power and Simon Ticehurst updated the flight log.

Whoever retracted the droops appears not to have realised what he had done or its implications: there was little time for trouble shooting as within seconds the aeroplane had enetered the stall regime, resulting in operation of the stick shakers and stick pushers, coupled with autopilot disconnect audio and visual warnings. One of the crew over-rode the stick pushers, but by then the situation was already almost irretrievable. From brakes off to impact the flight lasted 150 seconds.

The aeroplane was not fitted with a CVR: in fact it was this crash which brought about their mandatory introduction.

There is also uncertainty over the actions of Captain Collins, a Vanguard freighter captain who occupied the jump seat on Papa India's flight deck. He was a former Trident pilot and was positioning to Brussels that afternoon.

The accident report for 'PI is available on the AAIB website. It is a sobering read.

Edited by stever219

I have seen them all in my hunt.

Im friends with soneob at fekthorpe flying club. Do i have seen the photos.

translation please....?! :)

fat finger syndrome on the keyboard?!

interested in this thread, not seen much of this incident before. gotta love the Trident

Edited by JohnHull

Sorry John

I'm on my iPod now, the keys are bigger lol

Felthorpe is a villiage in Norfolk, I live about one mile from it. At felthorpe there is a small airfield. The Trident crashed next to the airfield.

On the felthorpe flying club page there are 2 photos of the crash.

I had previously seen these as I'm friends with a couple of members at the flying club.

It also helps that my grandad was the first fireman on the site.

I will be drilling him for info lol.

This crash is the least commonly known trident crash. It was keep rather quiet.

The Trident crash wasn't kept quiet as such and this one is well known and talked about often.

A number of airliners have crashed during tests and this one is no more or less known about than the rest.

If it had been in airline service it would be different but test crashes do happen.

How often do you hear about the One-Eleven protoype crash or the Dash Seven in the West Country a few years ago, how many know about G-ASJD that pulled out at the last minute from a deep stall and belly landed on Salibury Plain and was repaired.

Out of the many airliner test crashes, if anything this is one of the better known along with the prototpe One-Eleven and Britannia 300 prototype.

Even the Britannia 100 second prototpye that ditched in the Severn in a very public manner full of KLM officials doesn't get much of a high profile.

Truth is, in those days, crashes were far more common and as such just accepted so it was quite normal then to not make a big thing out of it.

Does the book covers the stains crash and the felthorpe ow crash? I will get that of it covers G-ARPY.

What does it say about the crash?

I'm going to build a pair of trident models.

Will the kit need any conversions or is it fine?

How will I make the trident crash diorama?

Does the book covers the stains crash and the felthorpe ow crash? I will get that of it covers G-ARPY.

You don't ask for much do you? :)

At some stage you will have to knuckle down and do some research and this will not be a quick process. People on BM may be able to help wih that but there will be a bit of effort and investment required and you will have to provide that.

As for how to make dioramas I would suggest an internet search on "Shep Paine" and a lot of study of pictures of dioramas. This is not an easy subject to master - I have yet to do that myself.

:giles:

Darius

Good job they don't charge by the question here!!

Good luck with your research :)

Try and get 'Trident, A History' By Dr Frank McKim its a good book and covers the loss of PY and PI in detail.

Yes it does. Get on the net and research the crash, look for pictures and info. Thats how you will learn stuff! There is lots of info out there.

Well......

I wouldnt bother buying a kit for the builds, not much of either aircraft looks like a trident on the ground. Just alot of bits of metal.

Now, I will talk about taste. Is modeling a crash where people died in good taste?

Well......

I wouldnt bother buying a kit for the builds, not much of either aircraft looks like a trident on the ground. Just alot of bits of metal.

Now, I will talk about taste. Is modeling a crash where people died in good taste?

A 30 second Google Images search using "G-ARPY" came up with this image:-

G-ARPY

Still looks like a Trident.

I must admit that the idea of a fatal crash diorama did strike me as a tad imappropriate and I am not sure that a museum would be willing to consider it.

:giles:

Darius

Edited by Darius at Home

Still looks like a Trident.

Darius

Not the best view, but the fuselage structure has collapsed, Im sure you couldnt get the kit plastic to give that effect. Maybe laminated sheets of tin foil painted and shaped that will give the shapes and creases needed.

As for PI, the one and only bit left is the tail section.

I must admit that the idea of a fatal crash diorama did strike me as a tad imappropriate and I am not sure that a museum would be willing to consider it.

agreed - i'm sure there are more tasteful ways are commemorating this terrible accident.