Am wondering about this

I'd like to know if anyone is familiar with a rather obscure version of the DH60 Moth.

I'm referring to the Genet Moth.

There was an RAF flight demonstration team which used the Genet Moth for a while.

I'd like to bash a Moth kit to take the Genet radial, but have been able to find only one photo, and that one of poor quality, with the nose nearly covered in a blur.

I'd like to see the lines of the nose to see how it could be modified to take the radial, when it was designed to have an inline Cirrus engine, which was decidedly skinnier than that little bitty five-banger radial.

I'm not even going to begin to ask about the paint scheme, because I have to see if there are any other photos period. Making it pretty will be the next logical step, though.

I'd like to know if anyone is familiar with a rather obscure version of the DH60 Moth.

I'm referring to the Genet Moth.

There was an RAF flight demonstration team which used the Genet Moth for a while.

I'd like to bash a Moth kit to take the Genet radial, but have been able to find only one photo, and that one of poor quality, with the nose nearly covered in a blur.

I'd like to see the lines of the nose to see how it could be modified to take the radial, when it was designed to have an inline Cirrus engine, which was decidedly skinnier than that little bitty five-banger radial.

I'm not even going to begin to ask about the paint scheme, because I have to see if there are any other photos period. Making it pretty will be the next logical step, though.

Does this help ?? 1927-p101007-DH-Genet-Moth.jpg

O yes, very much so.

I do have a question about that. Why is there something of a dearth of information on the Genet Moth?

There are tons on the Cirrus and Gypsy engine Moths, but next to nothing on the Genet Moth.

And yes, I know I'm biased toward radials, because I have some time under my belt working on the silly things, but even so, the Genet Moth does look fascinating, to say the least.

Then again, I'm partial to radials, because their song can almost make the angels weep with pleasure, especially when the radial engine powered aircraft has just rotated, and is clawing for altitude, like a homesick angel.

After all, in the industry, it has been said over and over again that two wings and a round motor makes for a real aeroplane.

BTW, almost forgot, were those silver-doped, or was another color used?

The dearth of information is probably because the photo shows 5/6ths of the entire RAF Fleet, Only 6 were supplied (1927) (J8816 -8821) and were used by the Central Flying School in the Hendon Displays of 1927 and 1929. There is a photo on photo of an aircraft in inverted flight in Aircraft of the RAF Since 1918 (Putnam) but none of the usual three views found in these books.

Richard McC

A nice front 3/4 view about 1/3 of the way down on this page.

Steve.

Yes, that is a nice view. It's helping to answer a question I have about the nose. What I would like to do is bash a 1/48 scale model of a Cirrus Moth to take a Genet engine, so I wanted to see just how the nose area is contoured. I wish I could find a three-view, but, in lieu of that, I'll try to find as many photos as I can to get the general idea about that, and I am.

I found an Aero Club Genet metal engine, so had been looking for a kit of an aircraft which had this as an alternative powerplant. But, one can't simply stick another engine on, especially when going from a straight 4 to a radial, without some kind of smooth transition from the around the cockpit to the firewall, which is why I've been looking for photos.

Also, I'm not quite sure, but what might the color scheme of that particular Genet Moth be?

A nice front 3/4 view about 1/3 of the way down on this page.

Steve.

That is a very nice view. Any idea as to the color scheme?

The reason why I'd like to find more photos of the Genet Moth is because I can't find a three-view of that specific model aircraft. I want to get a better idea as to the contours of the nose, as this was originally designed for an inline 4, and a radial engine replaced that late on. But, they didn't simply change engines and be done with it, there had to be some sort of contouring in order to render it more aerodynamic, as well as just look a bit better.

And I'm getting a better idea as to how that looks.

I really don't like how they put a hold on posting a reply, and I'm thinking that it's been deleted, so I try to duplicate what I said later on, post it, only to find that the first reply went ahead and was posted anyway, so it appears I'm more hiccupping or stuttering, than anything else. Apologies for the apparent redundancy.

And everyone, please join me in trying to stamp out and eliminate redundancy.

Try this

http://www.aeromovies.fr/articles.php?lng=en&pg=991

it's about a third of the way down the page

hth

Trevor

Snap :lol:

SSRP, the are some pics in post #3 if this thread, one of which shows some models with red uppers, which seems to be confirmed here This site has a lower side view which might help with nose contours.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Snap :lol:

SSRP, the are some pics in post #3 if this thred, one of which shows some models with red uppers, no way of knowing how accurate this would be.

Steve.

One of the links still worked, the one to the DH Club, so I'm going to fire an email off, ask a few questions about the Genet Moth, and see what happens. In the thread, someone mentioned the Genet Moth, so it isn't like I'm the only one curious about it.

One of the links still worked, the one to the DH Club, so I'm going to fire an email off, ask a few questions about the Genet Moth, and see what happens. In the thread, someone mentioned the Genet Moth, so it isn't like I'm the only one curious about it.

Tried to send an email to the club, and it was bounced back as there not being a valid addy. Guess I'll have to keep looking elsewhere.