F35B - Hollywood Superstar?

Whitewolf

He got shown up by an 11 year old girl who only ever screamed!

I thought he was spectacularly miscast in that film - for a blue collar average joe single dad he looked like worked out at the gym a little too much, when he wasn't spending his medi-care on dental work. Ironically, Tim Robbin's would have been so much better in the lead role, instead of being a bit player.

IMO WOTW had some great set pieces, but nothing substantial to really link it.

Edited by Jonathan Mock

There was just so much to hate in that movie. However, I must admit that I haven't seen it all the way through. I walked out of the cinema.

I had never done that before and never since. Although that's only because Cloverfield was so short.

There was just so much to hate in that movie. However, I must admit that I haven't seen it all the way through. I walked out of the cinema.

I had never done that before and never since. Although that's only because Cloverfield was so short.

Edit: Er... how did that happen? :shrug:

You're showing repeats already!

NAME DROP ALERT!!!

I met Tom (to his friends....) once through a vaguely tenuous work connection and I have not yet met a nicer fellow. It wasn't a showy thing in front of cameras but just a private cinema thing. He seemed genuinely glad to meet a no-one (a fan nonetheless, with a severe case of star-struck-itis) and chat about the weather and the Lake District (where he'd been on occasions). If I were to see him again I reckon he'd remember my name.

Maybe he is a good actor after all...

Sadly, he *can* be a good actor at times. I thought "Minority Report" was actually a good film. My problem is that he's gone off the deep end with his "religion" and feels the need to shoot his mouth off about it at every (inappropriate) opportunity. You can worship dog food cans if you want to, just don't ram it down my throat.

Mel Gibson, on the other hand, while also at times a good actor (his Hamlet is outstanding), is nothing but a slime ball of the highest order.

Tom Cruise is a lot like you and me... a human being with all the cool stuff mixed in with a bunch of faults and foibles. I don't like everything he does, but I have to admit he is a good actor. What makes him different from the actors that were around in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s is today the public eye is merciless and quick to judge. Frankly, there are probably some things I wouldn't have liked about Steve McQueen, Cary Grant or James Cagney... but you never heard about that stuff as the press backed off a bit in those earlier days and there was more of a code of conduct back then. Granted current actors like Cruise exploit the spotlight for more personal gain, so it is a two way street. But personally, I try to ignore that stuff as much as I can and just look at the body of work being presented on screen rather than focus on the excess baggage. Even an actor should have his private time and is entitled to a few mistakes now and then... just like the rest of us.

Anyway, will I see Top Gun II? Yes I probably will. If it is done right, it could be a good thing. Maverick is likely going to be in the back seat though (figuratively, not literally) as the focus would more than likely be on the younger "best of the best" crowd. I will say this about Tom, he has maintained his body shape rather well (I doubt we will be seeing any sand volleyball scenes though). It really needs to be the right script though and take it further rather than just being a remake.

Personally, something I would love to see in a Top Gun 2 might be a flashback scene to the dogfight Maverick's dad got in during the Vietnam war with F-4Bs versus MiG-17s. So you could have Tom perhaps playing the elder Mitchell perhaps with a slightly different voice (a little makeup can mask things slightly) and throw in Tom Skerritt as Viper doing a cameo in one of the other jets (just his voice with a different actor wearing the helmet and oxygen mask). It would be a unique way to tie that aspect into the second film since it was integral to the first one since it helped to tell the back story of who Maverick was.

Personally, something I would love to see in a Top Gun 2 might be a flashback scene to the dogfight Maverick's dad got in during the Vietnam war with F-4Bs versus MiG-17s. So you could have Tom perhaps playing the elder Mitchell perhaps with a slightly different voice (a little makeup can mask things slightly) and throw in Tom Skerritt as Viper doing a cameo in one of the other jets (just his voice with a different actor wearing the helmet and oxygen mask). It would be a unique way to tie that aspect into the second film since it was integral to the first one since it helped to tell the back story of who Maverick was.

Okay... now that sounds interesting. Let's hope that you get to write the screenplay and direct the movie. :thumbsup:

Tom Cruise is a lot like you and me... a human being with all the cool stuff mixed in with a bunch of faults and foibles.

I very strongly reject that notion, when it comes to my persona anyway. I am in no way a flashy show-off whose mind and in fact every aspect of life, every thought is controlled by and adheres to the teachings of a dodgy cult. Do I have faults, do I make mistakes? You bet - but I do not need to have them brainwashed out of me; they're part of my persona, and I accept them for what they are.

Can you imagine Tom Cruise strring in a Top Gun/Brokeback Mountain crossover? Me neither. :fraidnot:

Edited by Calafati

Am I the only one who thinks this whole movie stinks of propaganda?

It feels as if the US Govt. has told Hollywood to try to change the public's perception of a plane that, let's face it, is not particularily welcomed by all it's potential customers.

Maybe that's why Top Gun ie US Navy is going to be flying a US Marines aircraft? I know Hollywood deals with lies and fantasy, but come on....!! :)

Let's leave the politics away from what is A FILM... Movies use the latest tech when they're doing present day style movies. F-35 in Die Hard 4.0, remember? And that was rubbish too... especially when he started using it as a surf board :rolleyes:

Sadly, he *can* be a good actor at times. I thought "Minority Report" was actually a good film. My problem is that he's gone off the deep end with his "religion" and feels the need to shoot his mouth off about it at every (inappropriate) opportunity. You can worship dog food cans if you want to, just don't ram it down my throat.

Mel Gibson, on the other hand, while also at times a good actor (his Hamlet is outstanding), is nothing but a slime ball of the highest order.

Lol!! Speaking as a Scot, I still cannot forgive Gibson for a truly laughable portrayal of William Wallace in the equally laughable "Braveheart" :winkgrin: . As for "Top Gun", it was a complete waste of Tom Skerrit & Michael Ironside. I felt the film would have been immeasurably improved if Mr Cruise had been killed baling out of that F-14........................!! Dreadful film but nice aeroplanes!

Still, "Top Gun 2" might be good for a laugh! As for the original, bad it may have been but, compared to Iron Eagle and, Wings of the Apache..............................!!!!!!

val-kilmer-fat-2.jpg

That's Ice....with a Bacardi breezer, two crates of Stella, 3 Pizza Hut Triple Meat Italianos, a Subway 12" Italian B.M.T., 3 McDonald's Angus Chipotle BBQ Bacon, a Sonic SuperSONIC Bacon Double Cheeseburger and a packet of crisps..please !

Still the F-35's fugly and bloated enough for the part.

Hope it's done in the same vein as Hot Shots parts 1 and deux...now that might actually be worth watching.... :coolio:

Some how I dont think Kelly will be doing the lead hottie role on this one.

kelly-mcgillis.jpg

Time I think has been a lot kinder to Tom than the other 2.

Like a lot of actors Tom has had some good roles and bad roles.

Julien

val-kilmer-fat-2.jpg

I spose he could return as Pieman....

Still the F-35's fugly and bloated enough for the part.

Don't try raising my fanboy ire with such inflammatory comments - I just won't bite.... :hobbyhorse:

Al

Give me True Lies anyday, with Arnie in an AV8B

mqdefault.jpg

Nothing like a few 20 mm rounds from a Harrier to take out a floor full of bad guys lol

Edited by hacker

Some how I dont think Kelly will be doing the lead hottie role on this one.

kelly-mcgillis.jpg

Time I think has been a lot kinder to Tom than the other 2.

Looks pretty good for 54, what do you want? I suspect Tom's "time" involves quite a lot of hours in a clinic....