Spitfire ix D-day stripes

dazdot

Hi all I'm building the revell (hasegawa) 1/48 ix not with any fuselage correction however,

Now knowing that you might think I don't care about other things but......

I have the Eagle Strike decal sheet and am building PT396 EJ*C WC "Jack" Charles RCAF

I have looked at various drawings photo's and on here with the thread about D-Day stripes and well I need help

I understand they were approx 18" wide on the wings maybe slightly Narrower on the fuselage

so masked that and looked huge......... would have reached the roundels

so looked on the net and found a tamiya 1/32 that someone had built and they were approx 14" in scale so thought great go with that

then the decals arrived today and the instructions for that make them look about 12"

So does anyone actually have a photo of this A/C' wings?

or does anyone know how this was painted? luckily I haven't painted them yet

Please help or the cat I don't like may get it..........

Darren

I've never seen a photo that showed the stripes on the wings, and profiles, decal instructions, and built models disagree wildly with one another. I doubt there is anyone alive (or dead) who "knows" the answer. Best bet - find photos of other a/c in the same squadron and make an educated guess. Welcome to the world of historical aviation research! :)

Can't recall a photo of that particular aircraft but the "rules" called for 18"-wide stripes starting 6" inboard of the underwing roundel (so, yes, probably all but touching the upperwing one) and 18" forward of the tailplane. Source: Ducimus Camouflage and Markings 1: Supermarine Spitfire by James Goulding. What the squadrons actually did was not necessarily the same eg Spitfire VIIs of 131 Sq had roughly 10" stripes.

Hi all I'm building the revell (hasegawa) 1/48 ix not with any fuselage correction however,

Now knowing that you might think I don't care about other things but......

I have the Eagle Strike decal sheet and am building PT396 EJ*C WC "Jack" Charles RCAF

I have looked at various drawings photo's and on here with the thread about D-Day stripes and well I need help

I understand they were approx 18" wide on the wings maybe slightly Narrower on the fuselage

so masked that and looked huge......... would have reached the roundels

so looked on the net and found a tamiya 1/32 that someone had built and they were approx 14" in scale so thought great go with that

then the decals arrived today and the instructions for that make them look about 12"

So does anyone actually have a photo of this A/C' wings?

or does anyone know how this was painted? luckily I haven't painted them yet

Please help or the cat I don't like may get it..........

Darren

does this help? The stripes are wide. Note fuselage roundel is 36".

d-day-stripes-735617.jpg

note the crisply masked precise paint job ;)

Reccon-Spit-normandy1944-747532.jpg

Just to check, 18" which scaled down to 1/48th = 3/8th inch [or about 9.5mm]

here a link to pdf's [as .rar files i think] of the Ducimus publication mentioned above.

http://ebookee.org/Camouflage-amp-Markings...-45_342615.html

In cast this is computer gobbledegook...in best Blue Peter style..here's one I prepared earlier....

on the ebooke, look for 'download from' , in this case, rapidshare, hotfile, Depositfiles.

All have free downloading, Just read the page carefully.

then do this, click free download, you have to wait a minute, and the enter the 'captcha code', then just follow the instructions.[note on rapidshare]

free download might take 10 mins, probably less.

it's a .rar file, which means you need to un-rar, win-zip will do this, but you can get freeware called 7-zip which works just fine. google it.

download 7-zip, install, and right click .rar file, extract to wherever you want it.

It's a pdf, you need abobe acrobat or another pdf reader.

standard disclaimer, the Ducimus stuff has been out of print for about 40 years, which is a shame as youll be hard pressed to find a clearer primers on the subjects covered. All are avilable as downloads, look at the bottom of the ebooke page for more.

cheers

T

Edited by Troy Smith

PICT0044-1.jpg

Note that, for the wing stripes, the order says "inboard of national markings," but doesn't actually say which, top or bottom, so there's ample room for confusion; there was an extra caveat, which said that paint should not encroach onto the roundels or the ailerons, which rather implies that the drawing was of the top surface, but you can't blame crews, thinking of the aircraft flying over them, if they went for the undersides.

All of this doesn't help you much, but will explain the plethora of "yes, but" photographs which will now turn up.

Edgar

The Spit VIIs of 131 certainly had narrower stripes than standard and I think there's been a photo on here of a 41 Sqdn Spit XII with vestigial narrow stripes. My understanding - and I can't now remember where from - was that all aircraft in Pete Brothers wing had narrower stripes. There are plenty of photos of 131Sqdn aircraft in Spitfire At War Vol.3 and I think I have one or two others somewhere, I'll try to remember to look when I get home from work,

Ross

Am I missing something here?

PT396 was at 45 MU on 1/7/44,nearly a month after D-Day. Surely what ever stripes it carried would have been applied at the MU and would therefore be regulation size. The regulations are posted above and the maintenance units would have had time to query any uncertainties by this date.

I know those applied by squadrons to aircraft already in service at the time of Overlord varied a great deal but surely this is not the case for this aircraft.

Cheers

Steve

Am I missing something here?

PT396 was at 45 MU on 1/7/44,nearly a month after D-Day. Surely what ever stripes it carried would have been applied at the MU and would therefore be regulation size. The regulations are posted above and the maintenance units would have had time to query any uncertainties by this date.

I know those applied by squadrons to aircraft already in service at the time of Overlord varied a great deal but surely this is not the case for this aircraft.

Cheers

Steve

thats the conclusion I came too as well, so I'm going with my insticts on this and factory stripes

Darren