Recommendations for Liquid Masking Media

Nigel Heath

I would like to know what members preferred liquid masking product was. I have Humbrol's Maskol but find it quite tricky to use, when it starts to dry out while being applied and further brushing removes what you have just applied. Brushes are also difficult to wash out....

Thanks,

Nigel

I use Copydex glue. It is far cheaper than a modelling masking medium. I clean the brush by dipping it in any sort of solvent - liquid cement and white spirit both work admirably. Once the dried glue has softened on the brush, it can just be pulled off.

gunze do a mr mask product which I find works well

I wonder if that is 'Mr Hobby Mr Masking Sol R'; this is unusual in that once dry it can be cut with a sharp blade to an exact shape -useful!

I believe it is carried by MDC in the UK.

The issue with cleaning the brushes afterwards can be avoided by using a special "brush" called a "shaper" (I think). Any decent art supply store should carry them. Basically, instead of bristles, the end of the brush is a wedge-shaped rubber tip. They come in various sizes. The advantage of them when using Maskol or any similar product is that all you need to do to "clean" them is to peel the material off the end of the brush when it dries.

• 2 years later...

I ask to Enzo Matrix & SaintsPhil if they are saying

[for masking action as well as the Humbrol Maskol]

about the glue “Copydex” 4598 adhesive, i just ordered to Amazon.co.uk.

I wonder if you can confirm that we are speaking about the same stuff. Ty.

Livio

All I've got is vallejo liquid mask.

Only used it once, so far, it seems rather thin and runny.

When I applied it, it tries to shrink back, and not sure if I got coverage right up to the edges.

It also dries quick on the brush, and clogged it up and was hard to get off.

Might look at alternatives, copydex sounds good.

The issue with cleaning the brushes afterwards can be avoided by using a special "brush" called a "shaper" (I think). Any decent art supply store should carry them. Basically, instead of bristles, the end of the brush is a wedge-shaped rubber tip. They come in various sizes. The advantage of them when using Maskol or any similar product is that all you need to do to "clean" them is to peel the material off the end of the brush when it dries.

From time to time sets of these are available in LIdl very cheaply, they have no end of uses in modeling as well as applying maskol

Artists liquid masking! Either Windsor and Newton or Rowneys. I find these similar to Humbrol maskol and can be bought i Art shops or WHS9if you're lucky) Hobbycraft etc.

As I started this topic all those years ago I would now like to contribute my cultural learnings. I have Humbrol Maskol but it is very difficult to work with and although it has some possible niche uses I would not recommend it.

Instead I have tried both the Mr Hobby and Micro Mask:

P1090503_zpse6392161.jpg

Both are good products and brushes can be easily washed just with water. I tend to favour the Micro Mask as I had a slight disaster with the Mr Hobby product after leaving it in situ for about 11 months on my Rotodyne windows and it proved very extremely difficult to remove. I think removing liquid masking as soon as you can is a good idea.

• Like 1