Westland Wessex HAS Mk.3 Royal Navy

I agree, using the detail set woud be very easy, and i'm planning on building another Wessex at some time so i might go that way then. I just really fancied a challange and to improve my skills. I've done plenty of scratch building in the past and always with great results, but i've never done any on this scale, i mean i didnt realise how much there was to do to the kit, so i'm going to stick with it and give it a go. Like Mike just said i'll tackle one bit at a time until hopefully im left with sub assemblies, and the help and support so far has been amazing, so hanks everyone for that. I think the most daunting part of this build is the sonar equipment, and if i could build the cabin in another config, then i would. But we'll have to see, so here we go......I'm going in.. :hobbyhorse:

If needs be you can always do the sonar bouy and winch with its cover over it.

Martin

If needs be you can always do the sonar bouy and winch with its cover over it.

Martin

haha, i lik the sound of that idea, any pictures of it covered???

Collective you collect (lift), cyclic goes round and round in cycles!

And according to David Gunson, if where put the stick works, that's where you always put it! Or words to that effect, it's ages since I listened to his record.

Tony :clif:

Right then, here we go. I made a start on the Avionic racks yesterday that sit on the prot side just under the cockpit floor.

Thee is a photo of the real thing half way down page one to compare.

Now i know it might not be 100% accurate but this is my attempt at recreating it.....

DSCF7846.jpg

DSCF7848.jpg

DSCF7849.jpg

So only a small update but if you could let me know what ya think.

nice work !!

great post from martin as well, the times I screw up are when I get impatient and try to do one more thing or try to gild the lily. I really admire the guys who attempt scratch building , I have enough trouble with photoetch.

great info from everyone chipping in with drawings and advice, Im waiting to see what the italeri kit is like before deciding on which to buy

Right then, here we go. I made a start on the Avionic racks

So only a small update but if you could let me know what ya think.

It looks like you nailed it. Excellent work.

Of course, stuck out there on its own you (not I) may be aware of all the things that didn't go quite as you planned. Remember, when it's in the fuselage, only visible through the cabin door, few people will even notice it's there.

Am I correct in assuming that most of the bulkheads of the Wessex cabin, HU.5 and HAS.3, would be covered by the olive green quilting? Any pictures of the cabin of an aircraft in service?

Dave :undecided:

haha, i lik the sound of that idea, any pictures of it covered???

I'll have look for you, I still have the file out.

Martin

That looks much better Martin!

I have not been able to find a picture of the sonar cover and the only picture of a confirmed operational HAS3 shows the sonar with no cover over it. I do remember seeing a drawing or picture of a cover somewhere but, for the moment, just where escapes my memory. If I recall correctly, it was made of some quilted padding which was a silvery grey in colour.

As to cabin quilting on HAS1s and HAS3s, in all the pictures I have it seems to be confined to the cabin roof and the door in the rear bulkhead. This seems to confirmed by this drawing from the manual. The colour seems to be silvery grey again. It is quite possible that the type was designed to have the entire cabin covered in quilting but that it was later dicarded in non essential areas to improve access for servicing, and/or as a way of reduding weight. Fully armed in the hunter/killer role the range of the HAS1/3 was marginal and I suspect that any means to get weight down was taken advantage of.

Hope that helps

Martin

File-1.jpg

Edit, I suspect that I saw a drawing of the sonar cover in the AP on the type when I was researching it but did ot copy it as I was always intending to show the sonar uncovered on my model.

Edited by martin hale

That looks much better Martin!

I have not been able to find a picture of the sonar cover and the only picture of a confirmed operational HAS3 shows the sonar with no cover over it. I do remember seeing a drawing or picture of a cover somewhere but, for the moment, just where escapes my memory. If I recall correctly, it was made of some quilted padding which was a silvery grey in colour.

As to cabin quilting on HAS1s and HAS3s, in all the pictures I have it seems to be confined to the cabin roof and the door in the rear bulkhead. This seems to confirmed by this drawing from the manual. The colour seems to be silvery grey again. It is quite possible that the type was designed to have the entire cabin covered in quilting but that it was later dicarded in non essential areas to improve access for servicing, and/or as a way of reduding weight. Fully armed in the hunter/killer role the range of the HAS1/3 was marginal and I suspect that any means to get weight down was taken advantage of.

Hope that helps

Martin

File-1.jpg

Edit, I suspect that I saw a drawing of the sonar cover in the AP on the type when I was researching it but did ot copy it as I was always intending to show the sonar uncovered on my model.

Martin i must thank you as you have been so help full with this project, if not giving me more work.lol

BBut all these pictures and info has been fantastic, as it has from everyone else as well.

I think i might brave it and have a go at building the sonor equipment, im starting to enjoy this now :-)

Hi Martin, Great work so far but please don't get disheartened as long as you are enjoying yourself, that's all that matters. Your doing a lot better than some of us have bothered to do! We're all just sat around moaning.

Colin on the Africa Station

Hi Martin, Great work so far but please don't get disheartened as long as you are enjoying yourself, that's all that matters. Your doing a lot better than some of us have bothered to do! We're all just sat around moaning.

Colin on the Africa Station

Well Colin i'm gonna give it my best shot, so hpefully it'll turn out ok :-)

Looks great...

Never forget, modelling is a hobby, the only one you really have to please is yourself.....

I couldn't have put it better myself!

Martin

Afternoon all.

Well been doing a little on the wessex, and i have to say its turning into my Everest, but i do seem to be getting somewhere at last.

Been working on the cabin and the equipment, e.g. Avionic racks, sonor bouy winch, and the electronic suite that goes with it.

Well let me know what you think, so on with the photos......

We'll start with the crew seats, remember this is all scratch built, so might not be the best.....

DSCF7854.jpg

DSCF7855.jpg

DSCF7857.jpg

DSCF7859.jpg

Avionic racks.......

DSCF7864.jpg

Sonor operators seats and sonor bouy winch......

DSCF7898.jpg

DSCF7899.jpg

DSCF7900.jpg

DSCF7901.jpg

DSCF7903.jpg

And the view through the door.....

DSCF7906.jpg

DSCF7908.jpg

So there you go, still got alot of detail to add and a lot of wiring and cabling around the electronics and cabin, and then on to the cockpit.

So i will see you all soon, hope you like and thanks for looking.

• Like 1

those seats look sensational Martin, how did you do them?

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, i made them out of styrene rod, and then made the covers and belts from tamiya masking tape.

• Like 2

Martin you are making a very fine Wessex here, it is extremely well done

And you recovered from the blow of finding that there is better info about than you had when you started by incorporating the details

great modelling

bill

• 2 years later...

Right then, here we go. I made a start on the Avionic racks yesterday that sit on the prot side just under the cockpit floor.

Thee is a photo of the real thing half way down page one to compare.

Now i know it might not be 100% accurate but this is my attempt at recreating it

Those look beautiful, but don't be fooled by the photo on page one; those lovingly painted silver blobs on your boxes are cable connectors - I assume that when fully rigged, they would each have a blooming great piece of cable coming out of them, going who knows where. I never flew the Wessie 3, but some of the black boxes look familiar from the Sea King. There two cylinders lying flat on the floor are 2 Gyro compasses (they were in the ennoble bay in the Sea King), and I am 90% sure that the small round one next to them is some kind of magnetic compass too.

You're doing a great job with this, though - and I am looking on avidly, since I have the Italeri HAS3 in my stash...

• Like 1