Double Ugly! F-4E Phantom, IAT Greenham Common, 1986

As seen at the International Air Tattoo, Greenham Common 1986. Build thread HERE for those interested in the Flightpath detailing set.

DSCN3939

Revell 1/32 kit with Flightpath detail set, Paragon ejection seats, AMS resin nose, Hobbydecal probes and a variety of deliberately obtuse decal sets! I was really disappointed with the decals, really put me off finishing the model. You can't really make it out from the photos, but most of the stencils and insignia went on rubbish.

DSCN3941

A real labour of love like most Revell big-scale aircraft, phinally phinished with phlaws!!

11-06-12_0150.JPG

Courtesy of IPMS Farnborough website

Finished as 68-480, the CO's ship of 512th FS, 86th TFW based at Ramstein AB in 1986. The 512th nickname was Dragons, so the 'sharkmouth' is actually a dragon mouth! 

DSCN3942

DSCN3943 DSCN3944 DSCN3945 DSCN3946 DSCN3947 DSCN3948 DSCN3949 DSCN3951 DSCN3955

Only the second model I've completed this year, but one of my part-built shelf-sitters since 2008 completed at last!

Cheers 🍻

Alan

• Like 20

Hey Al another great build, ya know this repetitive thing of consistent great builds is gettin kinda old mate...can't ya have a goof now and then so that we know you're still human...looks and feels like ya dun terned inta a durn modlin machine.

Nothing ugly about that!

Fantastic job! :speak_cool:

Thank you HL ,as a died and dyed in the wool Phantom II lover There is nothing ugly about a Phantom II.

Edited by Angels49

As seen at the International Air Tattoo, Greenham Common 1986. Build thread HERE for those interested in the Flightpath detailing set.

Revell 1/32 kit with Flightpath detail set, Paragon ejection seats, AMS resin nose, Hobbydecal probes and a variety of deliberately obtuse decal sets! I was really disappointed with the decals, really put me off finishing the model. You can't really make it out from the photos, but most of the stencils and insignia went on rubbish.

A real labour of love like most Revell big-scale aircraft, phinally phinished with phlaws!!

DSCN3949.jpg

DSCN3948.jpg

DSCN3943.jpg

DSCN3942.jpg

DSCN3952.jpg

DSCN3945.jpg

DSCN3941.jpg

DSCN3951.jpg

DSCN3939.jpg

Only the second model I've completed this year, but one of my part-built shelf-sitters since 2008 completed at last!

Al

Beautiful work!!! gotta love an f-4 :)

Thanks very much for the replies :wub: yes, you gotta love a Phantom!

Its a big beast in 1/32nd scale, but I would find the space to display it.

Yeah struggling with that, it might not get displayed at all...

you missed the nose gear door :)

Good spot :lol: just found it on the floor!!!

I really want to do an Israeli one of these now - anyone got a Tamiya F-4E kit going spare?? :please:

Thanks a lot

Al

Phlippin phantastic Al....great job on the old beastie. Great camo finish.......

Only just read the wip Al, don't know how I missed it !...the extra work was well worth the effort mate, the FP set looks the dogs 'doo dars' !. (Re the decals I always apply them with Klear now...no silvering at all) !!

Know what you mean about number of builds...only managed three myself so far !! :o

Funnily enough I want to do an Israeli kurnass too but wasn't sure wether to start with the Revell thingy as a base for super detailing or a Tamiya jobbie to make things a bit easier! adding one of these,

ISC32028.jpg

Edited by general melchett

Thanks matey!

Funnily enough I want to do an Israeli kurnass too but wasn't sure wether to start with the Revell thingy as a base for super detailing or a Tamiya jobbie to make things a bit easier!

Decisions, decisions! The Tamiya "E" isn't a great choice as you need to find slatted wings (even the F-4EJ has the simple l/e flaps not the slotted, actuated ones on the IAF version) - also the reshaped MIDAS gun muzzle. Otherwise I'd say the Tamiya EJ was a good place to start. Unless you have the Revell kit, in which case Robert is your father's brother. But you'd better have a stress ball handy.

Al

Interesting stuff Al !...might just get a Revell one, a lot cheaper for the purposes of hammer and chainsaw surgery, (all the good stuff would either be scratched or am stuff in any case, I'm more interested in the basic shape really),

But you'd better have a stress ball handy.

Got a few mate,

328046537_632-1.jpg

Saw this in person last night at IPMS Farnborough and it is a beautiful build, but heartbreaking how the stencil decals have silvered up :( Its a real shame but thats Revell decals for you!