The King's Mechanism

Well, old Beardface finally made a personal appearance. It's hard to stay cross at that man. He can be such a charmer. I must say he's scrubbed up well too, and looked quite ravishing in his 'rough sailor's outfit'. I never could resist seamen.

IMG_0044.jpg

We had a very cozy chat over a cuppa and I showed him my rocket launcher. He was right taken aback. A pale green 'weapon of war' is a bit off-putting, he says! I told him. I told him!

IMG_0048.jpg

(and all streaky and smeary too - nasty!)

After a bit of a chin wag we are agreed that something along the lines of firey purple with red veining will be much more attractive. So here's me off to the paint shop again. See you later.

God Save His Madge!

Don, you're a nutter. Good to see you back at the bench, though!

Cheers Dave, good to be back.

We have been exceedingly busy today. Talk about messy, I have not seen so many different fluids flying through the air since the old Queens Diamond Jubilee!

IMG_0049.jpg

We experimented with Games Workshop paints - outstanding coverage and flow; Vallejo - Satisfactory, and some cheaper craft shop supplied paints in tubes and bottles. These were of poor quality and were useful only for modifying the higher quality paints.

The paintstorm lasted through the early evening and produced fair results. Fair enough to bring the King erect upon his block for a quick once over. The job's not reached it's climax yet, but we are well into the task and will be making an official entry later in the week after a little more tickling of the vessel. May I present a few pictures of our progress.

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

I hope that you are as pleased as we are with our huge purple weapon? Alas, you can only see the pictures and may not experience the throbbing mightiness of the thing in action!

[Thinks: I'm getting a bit too good at this character. Time to drink some beer and talk about football and birds!]

I'm worried, I don't quite comprehend the purpose of those four square whirling dervish blade appendages. Are they a weapon? If so how does one tempt the prey into their doom? Does one travel facing the wrong direction?

These new fangled war weapons. They look very pretty but are ungentlemanly in their fierceness.

A mighty contrivance I'll be bound.

Perchance will the "aeronaut" be subjected to a device as such that will physically restrain him from the more excessive manoueverings of the machine?

Trevor

Edited by Max Headroom

What what! Do I perchance espy four billiard ball launchers in the front nose of this beast of engineering pulchritude? Capital thinking that man!

I am pleased you have overcome your tiff with His Glorious Maj. He has fortunately quite forgiven me for the ah devastation caused when I demonstrated my patented sinusoidal semi-articulated billiard automaton at Sandringham a year or two back. It was a close thing, His Maj had to vouchsafe to his security chappies that I wasn't one of these rascally radical anarchists but was in fact a top notch inventor or excellent - if somewhat lacking in control - devices!

very well done sir a mighty fine flying machine you have there

Well, thank you very much for your felicitations and admirations which are only slightly diminished by the fact that it's a b****y boat! As you very well know, ye little tinker! :)

I'm worried, I don't quite comprehend the purpose of those four square whirling dervish blade appendages. Are they a weapon? If so how does one tempt the prey into their doom? Does one travel facing the wrong direction?

These new fangled war weapons. They look very pretty but are ungentlemanly in their fierceness.

I believe you refer, sir, to my 'rotary sails'. Imagine, if you will, the mongrel offspring between a common windmill and the propeller of a dreadnaught. They are nothing less than 'air propellers' which thrust (one of my favourite words) the vessel forwards by propelling the very atmosphere backwards. And a mighty fine job they do of it. They rotate at the astonishing rate of {secret} RPM and drive her through the foam at {even secreter} Kts. They are constructed of lightweight wood with a 'leading edge' of silver, for protection from the ablative effect of salt spray, and because they look very pretty in the sunshine.

The weapons, with their sticking-out spikes were inspired by Ted's (Yes, I am re-admitted into the inner ring!) own father's researches. You will remember Prince Albert?

A mighty contrivance I'll be bound.

Perchance will the "aeronaut" be subjected to a device as such that will physically restrain him from the more excessive manoueverings of the machine?

Trevor

There is much remaining to be accomplished in the 'cock pit'. We intend to reform the upholstery in a soft rubber, for stain resistance, and as you imply, a means of holding the victim, sorry pilot, down when the thrusting and bounding reaches its climax. Perhaps a little leather work will suffice.

What what! Do I perchance espy four billiard ball launchers in the front nose of this beast of engineering pulchritude? Capital thinking that man!

I am pleased you have overcome your tiff with His Glorious Maj. He has fortunately quite forgiven me for the ah devastation caused when I demonstrated my patented sinusoidal semi-articulated billiard automaton at Sandringham a year or two back. It was a close thing, His Maj had to vouchsafe to his security chappies that I wasn't one of these rascally radical anarchists but was in fact a top notch inventor or excellent - if somewhat lacking in control - devices!

Indeed, you have divined their purpose absolutely. I think them very fetching in gold. I was not aware of your Sandringham mischief, though I am well acquainted with HRH fondness for amusing tricks with one's balls.

Can't help thinking that's mostly pink, but then of course pink is a most manly shade...

HOT pink. It was a difficult decision. Had to be something from the snooker table you see, and though we were edging towards the brown... In the end, hot pink carried the day.

what do i think?

why quite simply old boy its Splendid

:hobbyhorse:

Thank you for introducing me to something Splendid! Outstanding!

And the King's Mechanism is indeed splendid too, love the accents you have added!

HOT pink. It was a difficult decision. Had to be something from the snooker table you see, and though we were edging towards the brown... In the end, hot pink carried the day.

I must respectfully disagree with the good Mr. A. Pink is a colour more deserving of the distaff side, a rather common colour one might find in a lady's boudoir, whereas HOT pink is indeed most certainly a decidedly masculine colour, quite suitable for His Most Royal Majesty Himself.

Yours, etc.

Admiral etc.

Edited by Learstang

The beast is complete.

IMG_0078.jpg

General arrangement. The suggestion to fit restraints to the seat was rejected as ungentlemanly. Sigh. He spoils all my fun.

IMG_0079.jpg

Coming at you, sir! Purple, powerful and proximate.

IMG_0080.jpg

From the side I find her a little busy. Aesthetically disappointing perhaps.

IMG_0081.jpg

The view up the back is better, one feels. She's a dirty little thing when she gets going.

IMG_0082.jpg

The business end!

IMG_0085.jpg

The throne and lots of twiddly bits.

IMG_0086.jpg

The air sails. My favourite part of the whole creation. The Queen says it's ALL a load of air sails!

IMG_0087.jpg

For close quarters battle we have a battery of four exploding billiard ball launchers. Directly below is the extendible spike for dealing with survivors in the water.

IMG_0088.jpg

The steering thingies.

IMG_0091.jpg

This is how she rides at the trot...

IMG_0090.jpg

...and at the canter! The air sails appear to be striking the water but in fact they run in the depressed wale of the float-o-planes. We thought of everything!

Well, I learned a bit about acrylic paints. I relaxed and finished something. Most of all I had a larf! I really enjoyed speaking in the voice of the 'engineer', though I was getting a bit too good at being camp, I decided. I hope you enjoyed it all too.

This group build has been great fun. Everyone here seems to have enjoyed it. Even my non-modelling, non-geeky, daughter-in-law said "Wow!" when she glimpsed it this morning. (One last time - Ooooh Matron!)

Thank you and goodnight!

Good of your daughter in law to be appreciative of viewing your morning glory!

Superb contraption squire, and I hear the King's Mechanism has come in on time and on budget! Been great to see this evolve and I'm glad you've had fun, something we sometimes forget to do when modelling.

What what, I say old chap what a marvellous exemplar of the engineer's craft - a truly frightening vision coming out of the mists of the North Sea I suspect, sure to put the wind up those who oppose the mighty Britannic Empire!

God Save the King!

Edited by Kallisti

A most splendid machine, indeed, Sir! And quite deserving of His Most Royal Britannic Majesty, King Edward. God Save the King! I say, that should put the fear of God into the heart of the heathens most foul!

Yours etc.

Admiral etc.

May I, at the last minute- congratulate you on a truely fabulous contraption, the like of which has never been seen and will likely never be seen again :)

Awe-inspiring work.

Major Woolley-Cardigan RMLI (Highland Div.) (Retd.)

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you all for your appreciation of my little pink thing. I shall be playing with it in the bath for months to come.

Cheeky monkey! Thank goodness His Majesty has now toddled off to your smashing build of that German flying contraption thingy, and is not here to read such (implied) filth! For shame, Sir!

Yours etc.

Admiral etc.

Cheeky monkey! Thank goodness His Majesty has now toddled off to your smashing build of that German flying contraption thingy, and is not here to read such (implied) filth! For shame, Sir!

Yours etc.

Admiral etc.

Whatever floats your boat, Admiral.