His Imperial Majesty's Cigar Battleship HMS Duke of York

Gentlemen

I think the title says it all; I intend to build one of our finest ships of the line, the Duke of York.

Although the Winan's cigar ships have, of course, been around for more than a hundred years and have been adopted by all of the world's navies, I have been unable to find a mass produced injection moulded kit of any of them. So I have borrowed Bastable's Epochimetapodia machine to hop over to a parallel universe I know of and acquire the following:

PA060019.jpg

PA060021.jpg

PA060020.jpg

I now propose to cut these chaps up and stick them back together again in more appropriate form.

Wish me luck

Your servant

Andy

Edited by It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

What what, I say top drawer that man! Bastable's Epochimetapodia machine eh - I thought that had been outlawed and consigned to a Chinese Launderette in Limehouse! Rum cove that Bastable chappy, always thought he was a wrong 'un...

Look forward to witnessing your engineering prowess!

Yrs

Prof Marmaduke Kallisti

Sirs,

The Limehouse Laundry is a well known opium den in which I suspect Bastable spent too much time chasing the dragon when he devised the Epochmetapod thingummy. If you happen to run into Chan please ask after his health and remind him I'll be back with more special packages by Christmas.

Sincerely

A Woolley-Cardigan

Ps nice boat!

Gentlemen

Thank you once again. Don - I hope not to disappoint.

Modelling has been occurring and some photography, but updating of this log has been sadly remiss. However fret no more, for I have news.

Firstly, I can show you how I mean to represent the mighty screw that this vessel possesses:

PA230023.jpg

yes, it is a humble cooling fan. Here it is divested of its cage

PA230024.jpg

and here it is as part of a test fit of the main parts

PA260027.jpg

Hoping I have not disappointed, I shall make my exit

Andy

Don - I hope not to disappoint.

PA260027.jpg

Andy

Splendid idea! Never seen anything quite like that before.

Please turn the fan round though. Lack of torque compensation I can ignore but reversed air(hydro)foils are somehow abhorrent! The mind is a strange thing. Well, mine is anyway.

Gentlemen

Thank you for your comments. Don you are quite right about the screw, which will definitely be the right way round on the final version, though it may appear both ways in mock-ups.

I can report that the hulls are now assembled and primed ready for their final finish:

P1090027.jpg

and the same is true for the main superstructure components

P1090029.jpg

Until next time

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen

Exciting news! HMS Duke of York is complete. I thought I had been undone by the 5 minute epoxy that took 50 minutes to cure, but not so. I'm sorry that there have been no interim progress reports, but I have been beavering away to get this finished in time and it has come right down to the wire.

I shall post this picture here and in the Gallery, but will take better tomorrow when I have some light.

P6230001.jpg

until tomorrow

Andy