1/24 airfix stuka motorised

hi all! as it turns out this is actually my first build here, so i'm going for it, and building the 1/24 stuka that i recently bought from jacksdad, a member here.

a bit of background, some years ago i decided to start a collection of dinky die cast aircraft, one being their spitfire with a motorised prop. when this came to me from eBay the motor didn't seem to be working at first, so i took it apart, tweeked a few connections, and did get it going.

later i decided to try to improve my tweeking, and broke a tiny wire inside ruining the motor :angry:

i thought that was that until i got talking to a chap i knew at telford 09, who just happened to have a whole box load of these same motors, these were frog boxings meant for their spin a prop range of kits, but also used for the airfix 1/24 kits and dinky die casts.

i asked him for four meaning two boxes as each box contained two motors, however he slightly misunderstood me and got four boxes out (eight motors) i was about to correct him, but then i thought "well it couldn't hurt, these thing are hard to find now"

so moving on, i replaced the ruined motor in the dinky, picked up a frog beaufighter spin kit (still not built!), and recently thanks to jacksdad, got my hands on the real star of this thread a 1/24 stuka kit!

in order to get the motor fitted into the engine block i had to track down a set of original instructions, because the modern one make no mention of fitting a motor, even though airfix now make a modern motor to use on these kits.

one interesting thing that turned up from these vintage instructions is that there are parts for a simplified engine block that the motor can be mounted to if you weren't planning on having the cowling open, again there is no mention of this in the modern instructions although all these parts are in the kit.

anyway thats enough waffle, time to get to the good stuff-

351iir9.jpg

test fitting of the motor

wikg78.jpg

test running of the motor, you didn't think i would seal it up inside before i made sure it worked did you? :D

2ltrfc7.jpg

engine block finished and painted, another test run..................................well alright i'm just playing with it here, but its looking good already.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks Steve!

well its more or less been a month since i updated this, and basically that's how long its took me to get the engine built and painted!

i read somewhere that this engine is a kit on its own and its certainly felt like that as i built it.

its been built straight o.o.b. with the exception of the motor, and painted with various mr metal color metallics

jree6d.jpg

hrn7mb.jpg

15xcm0.jpg

couldn't resist dry fitting it in there! now that looks like a stuka!

@ Steve- deciding which scheme to do will be the hardest part of this build! the trop version looks great on the box artwork, but the battle of Britain era is one of my particular favorites.

@ Mike- i will be using a modern battery box as opposed to the fittings in the stand so that with the use of a connector block, the stand can be disconnected and the stuka can stand on its wheels.

@everyone else- thanks for the encouragement! but i must warn you all my build rate is usually near glacial, but with a tasty project like this i'm sure i may get finished in under a year :thumbsup:

• 11 months later...

"but i must warn you all my build rate is usually near glacial, but with a tasty project like this i'm sure i may get finished in under a year"

well its nearly been a year and my glacial build rate hasn't let me down!!

actually due to one thing and another i haven't spent a lot of time modelling since that last post of mine, and what time i have spent on this kit has gone on fettling stuff to make sure stuff like cowlings go together nicely before i commit to any paint. however i now feel like i'm actually building it again as opposed to scraping parts to fit and hollowing out bits (AM hollowed exhausts would be a hit for this kit!)

so, here we go....

2u60ad4.jpg

extra wiring added to the interior, and i will add more.

2z4ib5t.jpg

something else that was like a kit within a kit, the main wheels. decals and matt coat apart these are finished so i could get an idea of how the humbrol paints looked (117 and 91) as i was thinking of using xtracolor paints, but i've got plenty of the humbrol colours, and no xtracolor RLM 70 and 71.

vhz57n.jpg

its got knobs on! this is the moulded on kit part cut off, drilled and the shaft replaced by wire to give a more three dimensional look.

well thats about it for now, see you next year! :winkgrin:

• 7 months later...

blimey! I've been telling people I've been working on this for "just over a year" looking at the dates on this thread its closer to two years then one!

anyways to sum up. from about the middle of 2013 to November 2013 I went through a bit of a modelling dry spell, didn't entirely stop, but wasn't exactly throwing myself at kits like I did before either, and this build was probably the biggest casualty of that, what did give me back my modelling impetus was quite simply scale model world 2013, I was there all weekend caught up with quite a lot of people I hadn't seen for a while (members of my club included!) and wallop! I was back in the game!

so back to the stuka, I did carry on scratchbuilding bits for the interior, and adding a bit more wiring-

6gvbzb.jpg

2dv7806.jpg

the firewall had more wiring and control rods added to match photos of the real thing

2zozo83.jpg

1073u5j.jpg

29bnkmc.jpg

i used an airscales transfer set for the panel dials-

a0guiu.jpg

28l8lfs.jpg

and that more or less brings me up to date, fuselage together, engine mounted and rudder on-

2dr9c2g.jpg

rkoc47.jpg

2ljjb04.jpg

2mpg07s.jpg

Edited by phil B.
  • Like 3