Want a silencer for your M109?

Graeme

Found this pic while looking for something else...I don't know anything about it (I don't even know if its a genuine bit of kit or not) but I think it is a some sort of noise reduction equipment under test, somewhere in Germany?

haubitzenschalldaempferme3.jpg

Think it's real - it's at a location where they need to keep the noise down. Not sure if they use blanks or live rounds though. In that pic, I hope it's blanks, as otherwise he might blow the side out of the thing! :S

Thats not an M109 but a German Panzerhaubitze 2000 ("Armoured howitzer 2000") their version of the AS90.

And yes the silencer is real. Dont know why they bothered with the camo though?

Julien

Thats not an M109 but a German Panzerhaubitze 2000 ("Armoured howitzer 2000") their version of the AS90.

You are wrong.

It is a M109, please look closer.

I think it is to test the muzzle velocity, could be wrong though.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Shaw

Julien

Julien,

Although I originally titled the thread "...PzH2000", on closer inspection, especially of the turret which has a very squared shape, it's clearly an M109; and while the AS90 and PzH2000 fulfil the same role, they are entirely different designs so one is not a 'version' of the other.

Graeme

• 6 years later...
On 08/06/2012 at 13:54, Julien said:

Julien

Sorry, but it a M109A2 (G)  , I used to be in 27 Field Regiment RA so I know that had M109A2 in Lippstadt, Germany in the mid 80s