A Miniture Multi-Build

TonyR

Hi all,

I couldn't quite make up my mind what to do for this GB (which will be my first :unsure: ) - but then found three of these in the stash, so I thought why not! -- I've not made up my mind what schemes to put them in yet either (I have a couple of ideas, but markings will be a bit of an issue!) but that'll come when they are ready for painting.

This will probably be a rather quick build because the parts list to these kits is not exactly huge . :fraidnot:

Tony R

P1010071.jpg

Edited by TonyR

Hi Andy,

You're right mate, they are kinda tiny compared to some of the 'Heavy Metal' coming up in this GB. :analintruder:

Got a bit of a shock when I started though - a bit good, and a bit not so - The Amodel kit turned out to be an S1 variant and not, (as it says on the box) an S2A, and being as it's only a single seater, it makes it that much smaller than the two seat LS models - The good bit was = there were two kits in the 'Rothmans' box, so I've now got four to do!! :hypnotised: --- Anyway, I've made a start - No sprue shots I'm afraid, 'cos my camera decided to play up just when I was about to take some, I've comandeered the wife's for a little while, so I can still post pics. Here's a quick shot of the LS kits - with all the small parts in the dish, (The fuses' are not glued yet only tacked together for the piccy.) I think you can get an good idea how massive a job this is gonna be!! :lol:

P1010065.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

In case you missed it, this is one I finished a few weeks before this GB. So I thought I'd share with you. I do have another and might make it to complete the pair of this team.

IMG_0017.jpg

Nice little example there Paul, :thumbsup2: a very colourful scheme, and you've done a lovely job. Did you hand paint or airbrush? - It's one of the options I have the markings for, but not sure about using .... but, you never know!! after seeing how your's has turned out I might. Thanks for showing.

Thanks for the encouragement AD210. :D

Tony R

Decided to go to work on the S1 version today, I've mainly concentrated on the LS models so far because, to be honest, they are a joy to work with, they just seem to fall together with hardly any flash and the fit is excellent, so hardly any filler is required . The Amodel kit is a different matter! . the fit is not great and it needed filler for a few areas - There is a fair amount of flash on almost everything, which obviously needs to be cleaned off before any serious building can start . I also had to make a new tailwheel 'cos the kit part disintegrated into three pieces as I tried to remove it from the sprue. :angry: nevertheless it does make up to a neat little subject and I've now decided which team this one will depict. but more on that later. - Here's where I've got so far.

Thanks for looking.

Tony R

P1010073.jpg

Edited by TonyR

Hi Tony.

I did airbrush the red but hand brushed the red edging to the wing underside. The white was Halfords, primer and appliance. A quick squirt was enough! The decals, being a bit old, took some encourging to get off but worked OK. The trickier decals were the ones for the wheel spats. There are more pics here in RFI somewhere under "Pitts S2, Canadian Reds CF-AMR" but I'm not good at doing 'links' here afraid!!. As you say, a nice little kit. I replaced the aileron strut with plastic rod of the same diameter because the kit parts broke on cutting from the sprue. Shouldn't take you too long to complete it either.

Have fun.

Edited by Paul J

Had a break for a while to do some of SWMBO's chores, but have completed all four basic builds and now at the painting stage. have decided which schemes to do, and will post piccys as the schemes take shape. This is where I am at the moment. Thanks for looking.

Tony R

P1010075-1.jpg

Hi all,

Not much to add at the moment, except all subjects have had their primer coat and overall main colour applied, and are taking shape slowly,

(and sorry AD210, but I'm afraid you are gonna have to wait till they're all done before you find out which schemes I've chosen ~~ (I'm evil like that!! :wicked: ) - BUT! I did have a minor glitch with the scheme I chose for the smallest (Amodel) kit, when one of the colours I chose turned out to be much too dark, :rant: -- so, it was out with Mr Muscle and the placcy bag, and off it all came back to the beginning!! :raincloud: -- luckily the only misshap (so far!! :shutup:) Anyway, it'll be back to the same level as the others pretty soon. So, with a bit of luck and a sizable lump of peace n quiet, It shouldn't be too long before I have them all finished ready for the final show.

Before that though, as a small query - Has anyone any idea if there is somewhere that does vacformed twin seat cockpit covers similar to the one in this pic, or is there some kind person on this site who could make one for me?? While I have the bug for making these little blighters, I have an idea for another, but I'll need a twin canopy for that one. :hmmm: ........... Thanks for looking

Tony R

S-2aTwinCanopy.jpg

(and sorry AD210, but I'm afraid you are gonna have to wait till they're all done before you find out which schemes I've chosen ~~ (I'm evil like that!! :wicked: )

Tony R

As Mrs Doyle in "Father Ted" would say "Go on, go on, go on, go on" (I could go on!) :analintruder:

Sorry to hear about the paint mishap. I'm really looking forward to seeing these finished.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouragement AD210, I'm afraid I never ever watched Father Ted, so your comment passed right over the top!! hypnotised.gif - A lot of bits to do around the house has meant things slowing down for a while, but I did manage to do some work on the GB too - I got the S-1 stripped and ready for another try - fPittsS1Stripped.jpg - and got the topcoat on along with the last of the S-2a's - gLasttwo-topcoat.jpg - Then came the tricky part - getting the liverys painted (Which thankfully, didn't take as long as I thought it would,) and the main problem - getting the markings etc, some of those I'd chosen didn't have anything from the aftermarket that I could use, so it was a case of getting some decal paper and making my own ..... Not 100% happy with some of the results, but close enough, at least for me . I'll let you all be the judge ....

No 1, is Dave Puleston's S-1 from 'The Pitts Pair' - As these are all in 1/72 scale, I've put a £1 coin in the piccys just to compare size.

- 1PittsPair1.jpg - 1PittsPair3.jpg

No 2, is G-WILD, former aerobatic mount of Brian Lecomber, during which time it wore Toyota sponsorship - 2Toyota6.jpg - 2Toyota4.jpg

No 3, is an 'old faithfull' S-2a G-BADZ of the Rothmans Team -3Rothmans1.jpg -

3Rothmans3.jpg

No 4, Just to be 'equal handed' by not supporting one brand more than another winkgrin.gif - This is Phil Symmans' G-WREN during it's time with the 'Marlboro' Team -

4Marlboro5.jpg- 4Marlboro6.jpg

and last but not least - No 5!! This is an S-2a as flown by 'Los Halcones' of the Chilean Air Force between 1980-90. - 5Halcones6.jpg -

5Halcones7.jpg

I hope these match expectations for this GB - they've been great fun to build if somewhat fiddly, especially for someone with hands like bunches of bananas!! blush.png - Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy.

Tony R.

Edited by TonyR

Very nice, Tony! I have a soft spot for Pitts kits as well ... I have a whole bunch of the LS/ARII molds, and am searching high and low for the 1/32 Airshowmodels multimedia kits.

I particularly have a soft(er) spot for the Rothmans Aerobatic Team colors ... saw them when they performed in 1980 or so, I even had a poster that was signed by the entire team, which sadly is long gone after several house moves. When I build my kits, at least one will be in Brian Lecomber's mount ... G-BADW, or as he called it (at least according to news reports), "Bad Whiskey" :)

Tony, they've all come out superbly! :clap:

I'm particularly impressed by the quality of your edging around the wings etc. I've tried doing that myself a couple of times in the past, but never with such good results.

Cheers

Cliff

Thanks Eric and Cliff,

Glad you like my little collection, I quite enjoyed doing them, but I think I'll try something a little bigger next :D

Cliff, you have a PM -- Eric, I also have a soft spot for the Roths, and can fondly remember seeing them at numerous airshows around the UK. Funnily enough I came across a thread on another forum that you may find interesting - started in Dec 2003 and still running!! - contains a lot of history of the team(s) along with some nice piccys, and related by a lot of ex team members (including Brian Lecomber!) Some very interesting reading.

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/111405-rothmans-aerobatic-team-others.html

Tony R

Thanks, Tony, I'm aware of that thread, though I hadn't been back for a few months now. I've been meaning to post scans of my photos taken back in about 1980 (yes, I still have them!), just had not gotten round to it yet.

Anyhow, not to detract from discussing your builds, they are simply superb, these kits are teeny tiny and you did a great job with them!

• 1 month later...

Had a short rest and then went back to one that I'd planned to do for this GB, but then started it beforehand and got too far for it to be eligable to scrape in under the 25% rule. It's all finished now so I'll show a piccy on the understanding that it's NOT intended as a GB entry.

This is an Aero L29 of the (now defunct) South African civilian team 'The Sasol Tigers' a four ship outfit that performed in the early 2000s but unfortunately disbanded after losing most of their personnel in two fatal accidents.

P1010053.jpg

Edited by TonyR

Thanks Antony,

Glad you liked them . The little'uns were good fun to build and I enjoyed doing them - It was just my own impaitence to get going, that caused me not wait for the start of the GB before getting stuck into the L-29! -- Ahh well!! :violin:

Tony R

• 2 weeks later...

Not long to go now for the results --- Many thanks to those who have voted and congratulations to whoever is the eventual winner. This has been a great & friendly little competition, with a lot of terrific builds, and a brilliant experience for me, as it was the first one I've ever taken part in! - Special thanks to AD210 for overseeing the build and being such a good host. :thumbsup: - and I echo Cliff who said - "I look forward to Aerobatic GB II"

- I think I'll attempt something a little bigger next time -. :hmmm: :hmmm:

Tony R.