Queens So Called Flypast

maudesman

Hello all.....

As the topic heading says, the Queens Flypast... Is it me, or was it a piddle poor showing? I know our proud forces have many major operations ongoing... But at least on the queens special day, they would of pushed the boat out a bit more! Or is it just me?

God Save The Queen.......

Whatever the reasons; cost, commitments, will - it is a shame, a real shame, that the Diamond Jubilee flypast did not contain one, single, current operational aircraft. One would hope that the Air Staff's made the decision for the right reasons, or perhaps there was a conscious decision to limit the number of staff that would have had to work today, (he said, fumbling around for sound rationale...).

Disappointing... :fraidnot:

That is all.

we had the flypast a while back i think this was meant to be vet aircraft wish i could have heartd all those merlins though

"wish i could have heartd all those merlins though"

Here Here! just a pity they didn't fly over last night when Gary and Chessa were on stage....my goodness can that girl sing...ducks sound better!

Even with the flypast as it was the BBC portrayal of it was another dismal exercise in poor camera work and pointless commentary, the camera shots of the Lanc, Spits and Hurricane were particularly disappointing. What was so special about the King Air planes (I'm sure there were 2 consonants and vowel missing!) that they should appear in the flypast?

Despite being an aircraft enthusiast I have not missed the flypasts this weekend!

Its a ceremonial occasion and for me the history & service at St Pauls is what today was all about.

Flypasts are irrelevant-bit like getting all the toys out at the end of a serious occasion.

the Queens Flypast... Is it me, or was it a piddle poor showing?

There was the Queen, there was a flypast. Did what it said on the tin. Did you see the Queen's reaction to the Lancaster & the BBMF fighters? That reaction was all the validation that you'd ever need to see that it hit exactly the right spot with its intended audience.

It's a bank holiday, how many servicemen & women would you like to drag away from precious extra time with their families to satisfy your need for entertainment?

As has already been said, there was a large flypast in her honour not long ago, and there will be another in the next 2 weeks for her birthday. Too many, and the impact on the public at large will be lost.

G.

Edited by ursa_major

I'm mystified why the Red Arrows weren't in diamond formation? Talk about missing a trick.

Wasn't there a larger fly-past, Typhoons, Tornados and Tucanos in 'ER' formation a couple of weeks ago?

jh

Edited by jch_in_uk

The Reds flew the "Diamond" for the official jubilee flypast on the 19th May. Todays much smaller affair was supposed to be just a salute to the Queen and apparently it was decided high up in the chain of command that the "Big Battle" formation would be a more impressive sight as it would be able to fully span the Mall. It did look more impressive than the more bunched "Diamond".

Edited by turnerdad

Whatever the reasons; cost, commitments, will - it is a shame, a real shame, that the Diamond Jubilee flypast did not contain one, single, current operational aircraft. One would hope that the Air Staff's made the decision for the right reasons, or perhaps there was a conscious decision to limit the number of staff that would have had to work today, (he said, fumbling around for sound rationale...).

Disappointing... :fraidnot:

That is all.

like the King Air?

Know what you mean though, no Typhoons or Tornados... personally I would have loved to have seen the Synchro Pair going up the Mall inverted with smoke on.. ah well

The Reds flew the "Diamond" for the official jubilee flypast on the 19th May. Todays much smaller affair was supposed to be just a salute to the Queen and apparently it was decided high up in the chain of command that the "Big Battle" formation would be a more impressive sight as it would be able to fully span the Mall. It did look more impressive than the more bunched "Diamond".

The Red Arrows did fly the "diamond" formation, at least according to C5 news, although the accompianing pictures clearly showed a "V" formation. That's the quality of media we have I suppose.

Andrew

I'm mystified why the Red Arrows weren't in diamond formation? Talk about missing a trick.

Simple. Big events like this, just as they used to do entering airshows from crowd rear, are done the in the "big 9" vee. It allows them to put the biggest smoke footprint down in the sky, particularly for a national event such as this, which is visually far more impressive for spectators and TV coverage.

As for the compact flypast, as has been mentioned earlier, the larger flypast was saved for the military salute.

Edited by Vickers McFunbus

The pictures weren't the best, the Dakota got all the coverage and the Lanc got bugger all!

But then again I must say much of the BBC coverage was poor, and whoever thought it was a good idea to include Fearne Cotton is an idiot.

"wish i could have heartd all those merlins though"

Here Here! just a pity they didn't fly over last night when Gary and Chessa were on stage....my goodness can that girl sing...ducks sound better!

Heard some of the music concert on the radio and apart from Tom Jones and R williams the rest apart from another odd one or two acts which were average, were absolute crap!! Even Macca and JohnElton were so rough that it was embarrassing to hear or see them.

It's a bank holiday, how many servicemen & women would you like to drag away from precious extra time with their families to satisfy your need for entertainment?

Um, not sure what all the ceremonial regiments, to say nothing of the hundreds of service personnel lining the route, would say about that. :whistle:

Love the flypast update, by the way.