Airfix 1/72 Westland Sea King RAF SAR

Hey everyone,

I know, I know - like a London bus (or an Me-363) you don't see any of these kits for ages and then a load of them come along at the same time! Hot on the tail of Dave's (xw 302) excellent build, I've resurrected this kit from the shelf of doom for a "Multi-Engine" GB on another site. I think I first started it over a year ago before it got put away but thanks to a GB and Dave's inspiration, i've gone back to it.

Airfix172SeaKing.jpg

Fairly early I decided to add some detail to the internals.

Airfix172SeaKinginteriorribs.jpg

Airfix172SeaKinginteriorWIP1.jpg

Apart from the bench seats which are from the spares box, everything else is scratchbuilt. It's not 100% accurate and one of the bulkheads is a little too far aft but I can live with that.

Airfix172SeaKinginteriorWIP3.jpg

Just before getting buttoned up...

IMG_2292.jpg

And after all that work, it's great to know that most of it can't be seen! :doh: Oh well, you live and learn...

AirfixSeaKingWIP.jpg

The fit of this old Airfix kit is amazing. That's amazingly awful by the way. Thankfully, those who have tackled it have passed on some tips to improve the fit, such as fitting spacers behind the intakes and under the nose to help those parts. And leaving a gap in the nose join is a big help to making the canopy fit more accurately.

As she was last night with sponsons and tail added. You can just make out the trimmed back card just ahead of the main rotor head area..

AirfixSeaKingWIP4.jpg

She's certainly a big 'un - here next to the Police EC-135 I'm also currently building.

AirfixSeaKingwithRevellEC135.jpg

Thanks for reading and enjoy your modelling!

Dermot

• Like 1

ahh okie... her i go,i got th new revell seaking.. basically.. i did the one you have here and the yellow paint the come with the kit i has, didnt stick n was horrendous, BUT, i did the resent airfix seaking with the pod of the side, and ... again i was disappointed thet... they havent new tooled it, but have released 3 i think kits for this year,, but its still the same crappy moldings, however, the revell kits are the best i know of, with i had the patience to correct the parts propperly, and knew how to construct the beams you have added to the interior ... i consider myself a novice, altho, novices i know put me at the top of there best list... i can make any model look like it does on the box. as well as some of that i think great customs lik my array of hawks :P .. brand new looking, i fail at weathering, altho... only i would see the fults, every one else sees beauty, anyways, im going to take the time here,,, to appreciate what your doing and looks FANTASTIC ... no no hatters reporting me please ¬¬ .. i just avoid this myself at all costs.. however, having said all of that... your Eurocopter.. the pait job i can do... but how/where do the decals for that come from, iv thought abotu doing the British one for a long time, i needed a few parts, and the Swiss army euro copter provides a brilliant babis for a British helicopter, but decals... i have the polizi heli EC145.. and was very much considering doing that myself, thats the issue with Revell.. its a german company, so the germans get there version first :L... im NOT hater... just the slightest thing prompt me into good conversation :P

yolly good and hope you see this in the ready for inspection ... id like to say soon, but take your time, its ausome ;-)

Danny

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone and here's the latest on this one.

A coat of primer and two coats of Humbrol British Rail Yellow later (seemed like the best match to me) The blades are also being upgrade to the newer spec.

AirfixSeaKingbladesWIP.jpg

The canopy masked up and painted.

AirfixSeaKingcanopyWIP.jpg

And now coming together - the fit of the windscreen is shocker but hopefully the worse parts are hidden by the black surround. The filter box is a resin aftermarket bought a few years back.

AirfixSeaKingWIPright1.jpg

AirfixSeaKingWIPleft2.jpg

Will hopefully tiidy up some bits over the weekend, followed by Future and decals.

Thanks for reading!

Dermot

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all and just a quick update on this one which I'm finally nearing finishing. Pre decals last night...

Airfix172SeaKingpredecal_zps41e37721.jpg

And about an hour or so later..

Airfix172SeaKingpostdecal_zps7e70f132.jpg

Some bits left to do like aerials, decal the rotors and weathering.

For an old kit, I'm happy how the old girl is turning out!

Thanks for reading, enjoy your modelling.

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245

• 3 weeks later...

So after all the decals were finally on, the Sea King looked like this...

IPMSDublin9220912_zpsec935b03.jpg

And after some ProModellers Wash and weathering powder last night, she looks like this now...(picture not the clearest, sorry)

AirfixSeaKingHAR3Right.jpg

I had a good search of images online and while many examples I saw were very clean, some were quite weathered. Hope I haven't overdone it....

Still have some tiny aerials to add but almost there!

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

Good work on an old kit Dermot. Any time I've seen a big yellow helocopter it's always been filthy so if anything your weathering looks slightly restrained.

• 2 weeks later...

Dermot.

I think it looks great, I know what you mean regards the interior, all those hours of getting it right, then you button it up and no one can see your handy work.

I think the dirty look is a refreshing change, I dont have the ability/confidence to do weathering, so mine always look production line fresh.

I'm building the RN version the HU5, its quit similar but the inside has aslightly different configuration, but I have decided to open up one of the engines and will model that.

Regards Dave