3D Printing Services

Hurricane363

it is expensive that l know. a member over at Large Scale Planes did a 1/32 Lavi and had the wheels done much as you want. He did the CAD work and I think Aries did the printing but three wheels l think cost almost $50 US but do not quote me as l can not find that posting

"cheap" and "3d printing" don't really go together, certainly for making parts that are good enough quality for scale models. For a set of parts to make for example a 1/72 spitfire, you're looking at around £700+VAT. Individual parts are around £20-50 depending on size but there will be a set-up fee on top of that, so it's cheaper to do loads at the same time.

I'm an industrial designer by trade and regularly get things rapid prototyped. For model-grade parts or for making parts for resin masters you need to be looking at Stereolithography rapid prototypes rather than true 3d printing as the resulution of 3d printing is rubbish.

Edited by lufbramatt

I have a 3d printer - its a bit basic but should be fairly good for making a start on large surfaces and shapes. I've been using it to develop an Bf-108 Taifun kit, but, I'm saving up to move on in the 3D printing world to something with much finer resolution and commercial build quality - that's going to be in the region of 6k.

Shapeways are one of the more popular and cheaper 3D printers out there. Most 3D printers charge by the cubic cm - Shapeways start at $1.40 per cm3, plus a set-up charge. Looking at your design and its size I would recommend that you build it out of stock plastic sheet as it will be considerably cheaper than having it printed. Your bounding box is 300mm X 180mm X 36mm (1944 cm3) - if your walls were 2cm thick, the inside shape would be 260mm x 140mm x 36mm (1310.4), leaving a volume of 633.6 cm3. Making the walls hollow would save a lot of that volume, but it is still very expensive for the simple shape you are building.

I have also used 3D Print UK to print a few of the following pieces in the past, but Shapeways are cheaper.

rib.jpg

HTH,

Ian