Airfix kits that need a re tool ? whats next?

keith in the uk

BUT NOT all of them!

Though some that do come to mind are:

Grumman Avenger

Dauntless

Gosling

Wildcat

Typhoon

Gladiator

DH Heron

and a New tool DH Dove/Devon to go with it!!

Tiger Moth

Chipmunk(!)

Defiant.....

and so on.

Edited by Paul J

ALL OF THEM as the old Airfix models should be consigned to the recycling bin.

Can't say that I agree with that. Some of the old Airfix kits are pretty bad - Defiant, Battle etc. Many others are perfectly useable with a bit of applied modelling skills. Look at SimonR's Firebirds Lightning build for a perfect example. As has been mentioned in recent days, the Airfix B-26 Marauder is still a very good kit. I myself am currently building an Airfix VC-10 and thoroughly enjoying it.

I agree that all of the old Airfix kits should be retooled to current standards, but no way should they be junked.

Their mid 1970s stuff are quite delightful litle models - F84, F80 etc. The main argument against them, is their raised panel lines - but only if that is an issue for you.

The pre 1970s mouldings are by and large tired and often inaccurate and these are the ones that need replacing.

Their mid 1970s stuff are quite delightful litle models - F84, F80 etc.

I don't know what that Airfix F-86D is like. But I do know that they need to re-release it now with a decal sheet that reproduces the original scheme that was available in the 70s. And can you imagine what the box art of that scheme would be like these days? That would ceertainly get the pocket money brigade buying it in droves. :bounce:

I don't know what that Airfix F-86D is like. But I do know that they need to re-release it now with a decal sheet that reproduces the original scheme that was available in the 70s. And can you imagine what the box art of that scheme would be like these days? That would ceertainly get the pocket money brigade buying it in droves. :bounce:

The F86D is another lovely little kit. Whoever did the masters for those 1950s USAF jets did a good job.

I've never checked the accuracy, but it's quite a nice kit with some interesting details. As F-86Ds carried some very colourful markings, it would be a welcome reissue. Of course the hasegawa kit is much better, but it seems quite hard to find.

I've never checked the accuracy, but it's quite a nice kit with some interesting details. As F-86Ds carried some very colourful markings, it would be a welcome reissue. Of course the hasegawa kit is much better, but it seems quite hard to find.

And would be a great deal more expensive too.

The most pressing need IMHO is a decent bubble canopy Canberra B.2 in 1/72. The B(I)6 was OK in many ways but needs a new forward fuselage, better cockpit and engraved lines.

i'll second that! airfix would sell a shed load!

he, speaks who is finishing an airfix Canberra PR.9 as the proposed EE Canberra P.12 interceptor [using the freightdog conversion kit].

I have to say, we could do with a GOOD Me262 in 1/72.

Hasegawa, is hard to find, expensive and a little dated, Academy didn't nail it right and Revell needs a new canopy.

Plus none of these make any money for Airfix and the 262 always sells. They need to tool it for a two seater as well.

What I'd Like to see? now that's a different question.......

And on reflection the answer is a Halifax BIII.

Which would also sell, especially after the disappointment around the Revell kit.

Stuart

The F86D is another lovely little kit. Whoever did the masters for those 1950s USAF jets did a good job.

I can't believe I forgot that one in my posts here! :doh:

That little kit is some sweet nostalgia for me. I cut my modeling teeth on it, have built it several times over the years and would build it again in a heartbeat!

I can't believe I forgot that one in my posts here! :doh:

That little kit is some sweet nostalgia for me. I cut my modeling teeth on it, have built it several times over the years and would build it again in a heartbeat!

Back in 2008, people on BM were asking for that kit's return Linky.

But just look at the box art - and that of the F-80 further down the thread. Modern recreations of those in the current style would be stunning.

If you were to look at Airfix's re-tools over the last couple of years, there is a pattern - either those kits that are the most popular/regular in the tange (Spitfire, 109, Hawk, Harrier, GNat) or tose that they can tie into a specific event of theme -Swordfish, P-40/A6M

Like others, I find this judgment just a trifle sweeping. In fact there are a number of Hornby era issues that I would consign to the flames, let alone recycling bin, well before the best of the pre-Hornby era kits, not just the P-80 and F-86D but also, say, the Sopwith Pup and D.H.4. Yes, many of the old generation kits might be even better if retooled to the standard of the Swordfish but not if retooled to MiG-15/Bf 109G standard. Let's help Airfix focus on the out-and-out shockers first!

Their Spitfire Vb in 72nd is looking very tired these days. Actually, it did in 1990 when I got into Spitfires big for the first time. A new Vb wing sprue to go with the I/IIa kit, along with one for the Vc, the later canopy and possibly the IX tailplanes would be very welcome indeed.

Other than that:

Blenheim

Beaufighter

Defiant

Typhoon

And a re-release of the Beagle Basset. When was the last time that was out? 1970s?

I've three part started ones - I sold the only unstarted one a few weeks back to a mate. More interested in Mitchell's finest at the moment!

Actually, bunging it in a post war RAF trainers set, with the Chipmunk, Bulldog and Tucano, may be a good idea. But it MUST come with the white/grey with blue cheatline option on the decals!

Edited by The wooksta V2.0

Like others, I find this judgment just a trifle sweeping. In fact there are a number of Hornby era issues that I would consign to the flames, let alone recycling bin, well before the best of the pre-Hornby era kits, not just the P-80 and F-86D but also, say, the Sopwith Pup and D.H.4. Yes, many of the old generation kits might be even better if retooled to the standard of the Swordfish but not if retooled to MiG-15/Bf 109G standard. Let's help Airfix focus on the out-and-out shockers first!

I'm all for helping Airfix. My advice would be; produce better models or die. If they just keep pumping out the old kits that by todays standards are, well lets face it, beyond their use by date, they will fall over....again.

I'm all for helping Airfix. My advice would be; produce better models or die. If they just keep pumping out the old kits that by todays standards are, well lets face it, beyond their use by date, they will fall over....again.

They didn't fall over in the first place . It was Humbrol that went under

Terry McGrady

Edited by Terry McGrady

And a re-release of the Beagle Basset. When was the last time that was out? 1970s?

82-ish in the 'Regal Beagle' colour scheme. (According to ATF, it was in the 83 catalogue under 'Limited Availability', which meant it was dropped and existing sticks only - I couldn't remember it being released by Palitoy, but it must have been.)

I second the spitfire Vb as my Ia is rapidly approaching completion and will be the first aircraft I've finished in 15 years!! I have one of the old moldings and a load of shiny add ons, but would love a new tooling.

Fingers crossed for next year!!!

Revell, hasegawa and tamiya all put out old, tired kits in new boxes. At the end of the day, pumping out "old tired kits", from tooling that has been paid off many times over, is basically free money . . . the production costs of a model kit is literally pennies, all the investment is down to the cost of the R+D and tooling.

Airfix didn't fail last time - Humbrol did, largely as a result of unforeseen external events. Even when pumping out "old kits" the brand was still very profitable. And in the last six years under Hornby there have been, what, close to 60 all new products, some replacing older kits.

As Lufbramatt says, every kit company has its share of old kits - with Revell its a lottery of who's old kit it is - so they're not unique in that respect.

This comment can surely only be made with zero knowledge of a lot of the older kits. Some of them are stinkers, for sure, but a lot of them are still perfectly good.