Airfix kits that need a re tool ? whats next?

keith in the uk

This thread could bring the server down!!

a new 1/72 scale Javelin, EE Lightning (down scale of the 1/48 would still be miles better than anything around at present) and Canberra (bubble canopy versions) with a 1/48 Javelin and Hunter F1. Oh and downscale the Sea Vixen too please.

Edited by Duncan B

I would like to see (all in 1/72) a retooled Stirling, Beaufighter, Westland Whirlwind, Buffalo, Defiant (with some air-sea rescue marking) and Lysander (with Indian Air Force markings, but that would be stretching it :wicked: )

Since this is the WWII forum, I will confine myself to that era, all 1/72:

Blenheim, Hampden, Tyhpoon (car door preferably), Stirling, ... well, just about all the WWII subjects in the catalog :) (although I could probably pass on a retool Bv 141 or He 177)

Don't know if it's been put forward (had a quick look through the suggestions), but what about the apalling Boulton Paul Defiant?!

eg. HERE

They could pay Nobby royalties for his efforts!

I hope its steady as you go at Airfix! Its been bad enough that they have forced me to buy some WWII german stuff, but then forced me to up scale from 1/72 and buy the 1/48 Spitfire XII, Seafire XVII, Lynx AH7 and now Sea Vixen!!!

Keeping it to re-tools, or rather new tools of old subjects, it would be great to see in 1/72 in no particular order, Typhoon, Tempest, Defiant, Battle, Firefly, Mosquito, Beaufighter, Blenheim, Spitfire Vb and then a bit more modern with the Javelin, Lightnings, early Harriers, Buccaneer, Bulldog T1, Tornado (GR and F) and an Islander/Defender to cover all the current Army and Air Force machines!

Then if they are not too busy with that lot, new to Airfix 1/72 Albacore, Skua, Beaufort, multi version Shackelton, multi version Victor, early Harrier twin sticks, Super King Air, multi version HS-125 and Jetstream.

Would buy multiples of some, if not all of these and if they considered dropping some of the bigger stuff to 1/144 and add a new multi version VC-10, i would be made up for the next 10 years i think!

Arabest,

Geoff.

Ps, would it be too much to ask for a 1/144 C-5A/B Galaxy?

Any chance of adding the Westland (S-55 type) Whirlwind (ignore the Italeri kit, it's the Yankee one to the list we've got two of the other type of Whirlwind, a decent Belvidere, and a bunch of Wessex UK types ie, a HAS Mk1 Ala the old Frog kit. A new Scout/Wasp, a Skeeter.......

Colin on the Africa Station

I have noticed that since Airfix have come under Hornby ownership the company in my opinion has gone from strength to strength with some surpurb new kits like the Sea Vixen , Nimrod , Valiant

and a soon to released Spitfire MK22-24 in 1.72nd scale and of course the Lightning reissues.

Looking through the current Airfix catalogue there are still a lot of the old tool kits which could do with an update.

I was wondering if this is Airfixs current policy to update the old kits or compleatly release new tool kits of the same subjects ? ( And some new ones along the way )

If so i would love to see the Typhoon , Tigermoth , Hampden etc get the same treatment.

Keep up the good work Airfix i look forward to your next releases. :thumbsup:

Before we take the time to do this, do they (Airfix) notice forums? Perhaps Nicholas Cove might give us an indication!

Interesting thread. I would like to see 1/72 new tool Hurricane Mk. I, Ju 87B-1, Bf 109C or D, Defiant Mk. I, Ju 88A-1, Do 17Z. All the early war stuff that has been neglected by the main-stream manufacturers. For the Hurricane it would be nice to have early fabric wing version as well as later metal wing and Rotol prop version.

cheers!

Edited by Ham

This thread could run!

In no particular order, I would love them to retool in 1/72 (or rebox someone else's) a Boulton Paul Defiant; a Hurricane Mk1; Westland Sea King; P-38 Lightning (any mark), a HS Dominie, a proper Battle of Britain early model He-111, a more modern RAF Puma, an accurate WAH-64 Apache....

Going to be a long list...

Cheers,

Dermot

My wish is simple they dont even have to retool it just re release it BSA C15 star and the Aerial Arrow both with chrome

please

please

preety please

IWANTONEANDIWANTITNOW

. BBWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAHSOB

What would I like to see Airfix re-tool? :hmmm:

Let's see......

Blenheim,

Beaufighter,

Twin stage Mosquito,

Boomerang,

Late P-40's to go with the early one.

Completely new?

Beaufort,

P-36/Mohawk,

Wirraway,

Ki-43 - could box this with the AVG Hawk.

That's just the WW2 stuff! :D

Mike. ;)

I forgot the Defiant from my list - 1/48 new mould would be brilliant, or even an accurate 1/72 scale version. Given that Nobby "did the business" with the current kit...er, I mean approximation...surely murphy's rule must come into play with Airfix announcing a completely updated version of the kit anytime now?

How about a boxed set of a victor, valiant and vulcan in 1/144 scale, I'm sure it would sell

I will certainly join you in those sentiments! :cheers:

As for what Airfix do have to hand that I would like to see them work a bit more out of:

I wouldn't mind seeing their 1/72 Javelin make a comeback in a touched up form. An extra sprue for a better cockpit and other smaller details. If the moulds can be adjusted to iron out the rear end issues, so much the better.

Scaling down their 1/48 Sea Vixen and Lightnings to 1/72 goes without saying. If they could do the same with their Buccaneer and Jaguar kits so that the geriatric existing 1/72 ones could finally be put out to pasture, it would also be good by me.

I don't know how much parts commonality there was between the Sea Fury and Tempest II, but if enough of the parts in their 1/72 Sea fury could be used as is for a Tempest II so that a minimum of new tooled parts were needed to bring it the rest of the way, I'd be all for it. The Matchbox Tempest II was decent, but shows it's age and the Special Hobby Tempest II is rather pig to build in my experience.

I think there was next to no commonality between the two, but a Tempest would definitely be nice. For me, new tools of the other two V-bombers and Lightning are absolute priority though. The Trumpeter one just doesn't look like a Lightning at all.

The Sea Fury isn't an actual Airfix kit: it is a PM kit. Similarly the Javelin and the Tempest V were actually native Heller kits, not Airfix.

A whole series of new Hawker types in 1/72 would be a worthwhile venture. I don;t think much of their recent Hurricane II, preferring the Heller one, but they won't redo that so soon. A Typhoon car door / bubble top / Tempest V-II-VI family and a new Sea Fury would all be jolly.

The thing that stands out all through this thread is the Beaufighter. Mr Airfix could do two boxings; one for WW2 aircraft with alternative tailplanes and some optional lumps and bumps and another for post-war aircraft with the extended tail and thimble nose. Maybe even with target towing gear!