MiG-31 Variants

Schlactflieger

I recently bought the new Begemot sheet on the Mig-31 (options for 50 a/c!). One of the options I was thinking of doing is labeled as a MiG-31DZ. I've checked my references and looked on the internet, but cannot find any mention of this sub-type. There was a MiG-31D, which was a version to launch anti-satellite missiles, but only 1 or 2 were built.

Can anybody provide any information on the MiG-31DZ and also, what were the external differences, if any, to the MiG-31B. I have the Zvezda and Condor kits.

According to the YefimGordon MiG 31 book, the only mention of a DZ variant is the 31 (01DZ) which is a MiG 31 interceptor with IFR capability before the B variant thats all I could find with anything regarding a DZ hope this helps

I recently bought the new Begemot sheet on the Mig-31 (options for 50 a/c!). One of the options I was thinking of doing is labeled as a MiG-31DZ. I've checked my references and looked on the internet, but cannot find any mention of this sub-type. There was a MiG-31D, which was a version to launch anti-satellite missiles, but only 1 or 2 were built.

Can anybody provide any information on the MiG-31DZ and also, what were the external differences, if any, to the MiG-31B. I have the Zvezda and Condor kits.

Jason is quite right.There was no separate designation for the IFR capable Mig-31s so Mig-31DZ is not correct as a service designation.. The confusion propable arises from the company designation,Izdeliye 01DZ. DZ meaning Duzaprahvka (refuelling) Less than 50 were built (45?) before the Mig-31B came along

Only obvious external difference is the retractable probe below the port windscreen

Source was Yefim Gordon's two books on Mig-31 and a Russian publication which I bought for the pictures before Gordon's books came out.

Thanks for the information. I believe when the Mig-31B was fitted with IFR it was designated MiG-31BS.

Luckily, both kits are fitted with the IFR. I will probably look to do one with and one without.