FAA Group Build

I really reeely can't make up my mind over this one! :frantic:

I was pretty much set on building an Airfix 1/72 Buccaneer and chucking a bit of resing at it. But then Italeri have released a Sea Hurricane, which has made me think again. So I went back and had a look at The Stash, in an attempt to convince myself that I really didn't have anything suitable there and so could justify buying the Sea Hurricane.

This is what I came up with...

1/72

Fujimi Phantom FG.1 x 3

Airfix Buccaneer

Matchbox Buccaneer

Italeri Sea Harrier FRS1

Xtrakits Sea Vixen x 2

Xtrakits Scimitar

Alley Cat BP Sea Balliol

Revell Hunter with FAA Models GA.11 conversion set

Frog Firefly FR1 x 2

Revell Gannet

Frog Gannet x 2

Airfix Swordfish x 2

1/48

Airfix Sea Vixen

Special Hobby Seafire III

Airfix Seafire XVII x 2

Airfix Seafire FR46/47 x 3

Hobbycraft Sea Fury

Hobbycraft Seafire XV

:hypnotised: How do I choose?!?!?!? Or how do I justify the Sea Hurricane...?

Now there's a man that's easily persuaded!!

Personally I think I'm sold on building a Bucc, of the 1/48 Airfix variety. I can never seem to only build one for a GB so I might also have a go at a Sea Vixen as well, I picked up cheap from MZ....then there's the Hasegawa FG1 lurking in the stash...

• 3 weeks later...

I signed up for this but a change in commitments means I'm strapped for modelling time. So here is a selection of possible kits but I might end up doing the simplest and quickest to finish :- ( Any suggestions?

Fairey Swordfish (72nd Airfix)

Sea Hawk (72nd)

Mosquito (48th Tamiya with Paragon Sea Mosquito converstion)

Hellcat (48th)

Seafire F.XVII (48th Airfix)

Sea Vixen (48th Airfix)

Sea Venom (72nd CM Resin)

Sea Vampire (72nd CM Resin)

Gannet (72nd Revell second attempt after binning first one)

Sopwith Pup (32nd Wingnut Wings)

Wyvern (72nd with Big Ed set)

Avenger (72nd)

Buccaneer (72nd Airfix)

Looking at that list I'll probably plump for either the Sea Hawk, Gannet or Buccaneer.

Edited by Folkbox1

As I am working my way through all Spitfire marks I may as well chuck a SeaFire into the mix!

Now, do I do the obvious and do an Airfix oob build or modify a MkV into a Seafire III?

• 3 weeks later...

I've changed my mind yet again! :wall:

I will build a Special Hobby Firefly. This time I'm sticking with my choice 'cos I've bought the kit. :D

If you've got me doing their Barracuda, the least you can do is the Firefly.................. :bleh:

• Like 1

Bah, that means nothing! You can always buy other kits, too.

Or build more than one...

Stoppit, you two! You know I have no self control... :P

If you've got me doing their Barracuda, the least you can do is the Firefly.................. :bleh:

That's fair!

• 2 weeks later...

have narrowed the choices down to two, 1/48 but now I'm stuck.... :hmmm:

either;

Sea Mosquito TR.Mk33 (Tamiya with Verlinden conversion)

or

Avenger MkII or MkIII in Pacific operations (Accurate Miniatures ,Decals, plus resin???).

Both would be nice, but do like the colour schemes of the Avengers....

Building two even OOB may be a bit of a stretch, as Splendid Cats GB (and others???) is on, though multiple GB’s doesn’t seem to stop me! :D

Ooops!

I joined this group so long ago, I forgot about it. I was going to build an Eduard 1/48 RNAS Sopwith Triplane. Trolling through the forums I came across the FAA Group Build, Oops!

The Oops is that I started the kit already. Arrghh!

I'd still like to participate. I have closed up the fuselage, and built the radial engine. That's all.

I still need to add wings, paint it, and then add the rigging, so there is still lots to do.

Can I still participate?

Hello everybody!

If it possible, I'm in and be sure to make an Avenger or a Hellcat. Regards,, Udo.

Edited by Jabo31

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in, definitely. Stash candidates (all 1/48)...

Barracuda 2 or 3 (Special Hobby)
Albacore (Special Hobby)
Swordfish 2 (Tamiya)
Sea King 5 (converted from Hasegawa AEW2)
Lynx 2 or 3 (converted from Airfix Mk 8)
Sea Fury (Hobbycraft - Trumpeter "Franken-Fury") - prob not that as I want to do it in a non-RN scheme

All have their plus points, but it'll be my first GB, so I should probably keep it relatively simple.

Therefore most likely candidate is a 705 Gazelle - probably the cab I did my first rotary solo in back in the dark ages (OK, 1985 - does that count?).

That's assuming the eBay bid I currently have in for the Fujimi kit wins - add the RN Aerobatic teams Model Alliance decals and it's on, though I gather the inside needs a fair bit of imprcement.

But even if doesn't turn out to be the Gazelle, I'm in.

Update: I got the eBay Gazelle, so my entry will be XW754/46/CU - first rotary wing solo, Trafalgar Day 1985. [God I feel old...]

Later update: I'm now going to do the Gaz for the helicopter GB starting 8 June, so the FAA subject will be something else yet to be decided. Albacore, maybe?

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU