FAA Group Build

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Giorgio N" data-cid="1210616" data-time="1357744805"><p>

I kind of remember having put my name for this before.... I'd likely build the AZ 1/72 Attacker, should be a relatively quick build or at least quicker than the Xtrakit Scimitar..</p></blockquote>

I'll pull my finger out and dig the list of participants out over next few days

I'd almost forgotten about this!!

Fleet Air Arm is the theme, I think the consensus was that colonial navies would also be allowed.

Sorry not aimed at the US FAA though!

No worries, I think I may enter though! Got a few things that fit the bill nicely.

Living as close as I do to RNAS Culdrose it would be almost indecent for me not to throw my hat into the ring on this one.

Looking through the stash I feel it could be a RAN A-4G (late colours) or a post war Avenger if I get the Freightdog conversion set. If all else fails 'twill be an Airfix Vampire as a T.22.

Edited by T7 Models

This is picking up again nicely! Welcome aboard to all the new entrants.

I have just received some decals and dry transfers for an FAA phantom in 1/72, so it would be rude not to drag a fujimi FG.1 out of the stash.

I've made up my mind.  I'm in with a 1/72 Buccaneer. 

I want to see if I can knock the Airfix kit into shape, so there will be lots of resin.  Neomega cockpit, intakes and wheel wells, Freightdog airframe set, slipper tanks and weapons bay.  Should be fun!

1/72nd this time! Heritage Aviation conversion + Airfix kit. :)

Just started same in 1/48, with a recon. bomb bay fitted.

It's........................interesting to say the least. :hanging:

Just started same in 1/48, with a recon. bomb bay fitted.

It's........................interesting to say the least. :hanging:

I only went and bought the kit this morning, I remember having this kit as a kid thinking just how big it was! Oh to be 10 again...

Hello, I'd be interested to join in too as my first GB.

Excuse my ignorance/naivity/stupidity as a proper newbie, but can I clarify what is expected from a group build.

My understanding from reading the pinned GB posts:

• My subject has to fit the GB's criteria - shouldn't be a problem as my stash is approximately 1/3 FAA from WW2 to date.  I have 2 1/48 Sea Vixens that stare longingly at me every time a new kit gets pulled from the stash, so that may be the ideal time to give one a whirl.  Do most contributors super-detail their entries or is an OOB build acceptable?
  • I have to post a WIP thread - how often would the average contributor do this and at what stages?
  • I have to build the subject within a certain timescale - unfortunately the one for this GB is at the busiest time of year for my business, but joining will make me get some modelling time in and will hopefully prevent the onset of my usual summer madness!
  • I have to post a RFI thread when finished - again a huge plus for me as I have countless projects where only the finishing touches are needed. 

Have I missed anything fundamental here?

I obviously worry that my models will not be up to the standards of some of the cracking builds that I see presented on this site, however I really want to improve my skills and drills.  Is a GB the right forum for me? 

Thanks for your help and pointers; they will be much appreciated.

Ps Saints Phil & Paul, Is there to be a poll/prizes at the end of this GB?  If so I am happy to sponsor a trophy or two as my madness-inducing business is a trophy shop.

My understanding from reading the pinned GB posts:
  • I have to post a WIP thread - how often would the average contributor do this and at what stages?
  • I have to post a RFI thread when finished - again a huge plus for me as I have countless projects where only the finishing touches are needed. 

I obviously worry that my models will not be up to the standards of some of the cracking builds that I see presented on this site, however I really want to improve my skills and drills.  Is a GB the right forum for me? 

Update your WIP thread as and when you see fit.  Every time I do something major - assembling the airframe, painting, decalling etc - I update it.

You can post an RFI thread if you want, but pictures of the finished article also go into the Gallery thread on the GB forum.

As for a GB being the right forum for you....   that's a resounding yes

GBs are great fun.  :D

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Fatcawthorne" data-cid="1211470" data-time="1357825005"><p>

Hello, I'd be interested to join in too as my first GB.<br />

<br />

Excuse my ignorance/naivity/stupidity as a proper newbie, but can I clarify what is expected from a group build.<br />

<br />

My understanding from reading the pinned GB posts:<ul class='bbc'><li>My subject has to fit the GB's criteria - shouldn't be a problem as my stash is approximately 1/3 FAA from WW2 to date. I have 2 1/48 Sea Vixens that stare longingly at me every time a new kit gets pulled from the stash, so that may be the ideal time to give one a whirl. Do most contributors super-detail their entries or is an OOB build acceptable?<br /></li><li>I have to post a WIP thread - how often would the average contributor do this and at what stages?<br /></li><li>I have to build the subject within a certain timescale - unfortunately the one for this GB is at the busiest time of year for my business, but joining will make me get some modelling time in and will hopefully prevent the onset of my usual summer madness!<br /></li><li>I have to post a RFI thread when finished - again a huge plus for me as I have countless projects where only the finishing touches are needed.</li></ul>

Have I missed anything fundamental here?<br />

<br />

I obviously worry that my models will not be up to the standards of some of the cracking builds that I see presented on this site, however I really want to improve my skills and drills. Is a GB the right forum for me? <br />

<br />

Thanks for your help and pointers; they will be much appreciated.<br />

<br />

Ps Saints Phil & Paul, Is there to be a poll/prizes at the end of this GB? If so I am happy to sponsor a trophy or two as my madness-inducing business is a trophy shop.</p></blockquote>

There will definitely be a poll and I'll help rustle up some prizes, a trophy would be fabulous!

You can post as little or often as you like in your wip thread and certainly don't fret about the quality of your builds, any sea vixens are great :thumbsup:

Fatcawthorne,

The guys have answered your questions I think,

But I'll just summarise:

Anyone can enter, newbie, to fully fledged BM nut, even the Mods I guess...

Yes subject has to be something related to Fleet Air Arm (Carriers are also welcome along with aircraft).

Feel free to add as much or as little Aftermarket goodies to the build (it's your model!!) OOB is of course acceptable.

The idea is to get it done in the 3 months allocated. You won't get hunted down or banned or anything if you don't though! The time limit simply sets the end date to qualify for the poll. Any builds still going at the end can be moved to the normal WIP forum.

You can update your build thread as often as you like, at least 3 updates would be nice, depends on the complexity.

Assuming you finish in the time limit, photos of the completed build go in the gallery, to be voted on in the poll. Most members also create an RFI thread in the dedicated RFI sub forum, to add more photos (the gallery is limited to 4-5 photos per entry to maintain a sensible size).

As for a trophy that would be a great addition to the GB! I had thought about asking some of the traders would frequent BM for donations of prizes too.

This is building up to be a great GB! I'm looking forward to it.

Phil

Edited by SaintsPhil