Moebius MkII Viper

Being a recent returnee to the wonderful world of plastic wrangling after many years in the wilderness I decided to hold off attempting my old Halcyon Aliens APC until having done something to test out what skills I did have "back in the day".

Well hello you gorgeous little BSG MkII Viper from Moebius you :heart:

Alas however, upon doing a dry run I discovered the cockpit rear/tail section support has suffered a mis-mould on one half of the main fuselage...

top.jpg

This is clearly gonna make life difficult!! :angry:

I've tried gently warming things up and pushing back into place but the thickness of the connecting plastic underneath is preventing this

side.jpg

In my frustration my next course of action was to cut the bleeder off and re-seat it with added internal support for good measure - but before I do a total hatchet job are any of you out there proficient at correcting these sorts of manufacturing mistakes and/or familiar enough with the kit to offer possible solutions.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received - I bow to your collective superior knowledge :worthy:

Hi DocSavage

Looks like one of the undercarriage legs on my Viper model (thankfully I was planning on building it with the gear up).

I can't offer much insight on the heating/reshaping, but I can suggest that the deformed bit won't actually be very visible once everything is glued together. The only visible bit is the central intake and the part immediately behind the canopy, which doesn't look too difficult to correct with some plasticard and/or filler.

If you do a dry fit of the side intake pieces, you'll see that there's a fair bit of filling and sanding required anyway so, as long as you can get everything to fit in the right place, any corrective work won't need to be overly exact.

Here's the end result of my labours on this model.

Dan

Edited by spitfire23bc

Cut the part away using the actual joining lines on the part. Use a razor saw or a Dremel at slow speed. Reposition the part and fill the gaps with putty. Sand, etc.

Dan is completely correct in saying that this part is barely visible on the completed model but it has to be the correct shape for the remaining parts to fit.

Also I found it easier to assemble the whole rear nacelle assembly first then attach the wings and tailfin. I only attached the forward fuselage and engines at the very end. To do it this way you will need to modify the tabs on the wings and fin but it makes for a cleaner assembly.