Kelloggs mini airliner kits

10 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Ah, that's interesting. I only know their earlier late 50/early 60's stuff that ended up with Kader eventually.

They also made the Sugar Smacks FAB 1 and more than likely the Captain Scarlet SPV and the Joe 90 Mac's car too.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

On 19/05/2019 at 14:17, The Tomohawk Kid said:

............ the following year Frosties gave one this:

414219104.jpg

Tommo.

Thanks Tommo.  I didn't know about the SRN-4, I shall have to keep a lookout to try and find one.

cheers,

Mike

3 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

Here in Oz a similar set of airliners was released in breakfast cereal in the mid 70's.

Somewhere about I have the remains of a Concorde, a 747 and, a new one to this thread, an F.27 Friendship.

Indeed.

The 'Cornflakes' airliner set was a 1985 promotion, but the models (if one can call them that) date from a least a decade earlier and were promotions with other products, including comic freebies..

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

I had completely forgotten about the VC10 kit, but I am pretty sure I had one. The silver plastic was quite tough as I remember. 

• 1 month later...

I recall as a kid that Sugar Puffs also had a series of small airliner kits in the early 60s - I recall a Comet, Boeing 707 and DC-8 at least. Does anyone remember these?

Re the Kelloggs Corn Flakes airliner kits, the Viscount and Viking are close to 1/400 scale and I have built a few as they fit in with my 1/400 diecast airliner collection, although the Viscount  fuselage looks a bit long.

This thread has been a treat to follow.  It has taken me back, way back, to the early ‘50s.  I can’t remember any airplanes particularly but cereal manufacturers were putting al manner of things in their products in an effort to get us kids to eat the stuff.  I remember rings with secret compartments, cars, variously comics and even an HO boxcar.  

In a spin-off from the long running radio program Straight Arrow, (not sure if he was) Nabisco, the program’s sponsor,  put Indian craft cards in between layers of shredded wheat.  The cards were illustrated and had instructions on how to make various Indian items such as teepees and weapons like bow and arrows, hatchets and spears.  I hated shredded wheat but suffered through several boxes in order to collect the cards.

Those were the days.

Dennis

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_Arrow

• Like 1

Yep, they were big in Corn Flakes and other Kelloggs varieties here in Australia.

I remember airliners, vintage cars, racing cars, trains, space vehicles, road transport (or was that an airport set?) and cars including a caravan and a boat with a trailer. And nagging mum to buy Kelloggs packets EVERY time we were at the supermarket! :) One day a lady living up the street from us saw me and asked if I liked these kits. Naturally the answer was an immediate 'yes'. They had no kids, but did have a huge plastic bag full of these which she happily handed over. Heavenly! Couldnt get home fast enough and they were all built that afternoon.

Still have a few items, would LOVE to get some more for old times sake but searching has turned up nought. As another post said, likely land fill these days. Pity, great fun, great memories.

PR

Edit - And ship models too 

Edited by Peter Roberts

31 minutes ago, Peter Roberts said:

Yep, they were big in Corn Flakes and other Kelloggs varieties here in Australia.

I remember airliners, vintage cars, racing cars, trains, space vehicles, road transport (or was that an airport set?) and cars including a caravan and a boat with a trailer. And nagging mum to buy Kelloggs packets EVERY time we were at the supermarket! :) One day a lady living up the street from us saw me and asked if I liked these kits. Naturally the answer was an immediate 'yes'. They had no kids, but did have a huge plastic bag full of these which she happily handed over. Heavenly! Couldnt get home fast enough and they were all built that afternoon.

Still have a few items, would LOVE to get some more for old times sake but searching has turned up nought. As another post said, likely land fill these days. Pity, great fun, great memories.

PR

Edit - And ship models too 

And do you remember the Weetbix boxes with the cut-out trains on the back? At one stage I had most of them ... for some reason I can't face Weetbix these days!

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 9:52 PM, AMB said:

I recall as a kid that Sugar Puffs also had a series of small airliner kits in the early 60s - I recall a Comet, Boeing 707 and DC-8 at least. Does anyone remember these?

Re the Kelloggs Corn Flakes airliner kits, the Viscount and Viking are close to 1/400 scale and I have built a few as they fit in with my 1/400 diecast airliner collection, although the Viscount  fuselage looks a bit long.

I remember those, there was a Brittania as well, a local novelty shop also had them for sale in packs of all four ,I don't know how many sets of them I had ,must have been dozens.

I also remember around the time of the Battle of Britain move release a dessert package had similar small soft plastic Spitfire, Hurricane,109and Heinkel clip together kits.

Great times to be a kid.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:49 AM, daldroflas said:

Not exactly an airliner but I remember my aunt giving me one of these:

http://cerealoffers.com/Kelloggs/Frosties/1970s/Lockhead_Galaxy_Model_Kit/lockhead_galaxy_model_kit.html

spacer.png

I remember being very happy with it.

Ah ha! I had one of them :)

Edited by RidgeRunner

24 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Does anyone remember the little submarines that came from Kelloggs that would "dive" (after a fashion)?

Yep!!!  I recall one needed bicarb of soda, baking powder  or something to make it work.

• Like 1