Kelloggs mini airliner kits

I remember there being an Atlanta, and also having something with tail-mounted engines but I can't identify what. I suggest this was early sixties rather than later - or I'd still have it somewhere! The WW1 fighters were with CocoPops in the early 70s. There could have been a later series or airliners in the 80s that I didn't encounter.

Hi All

Ive got 24 of them in a plastic bag most are sealed in there bags i think i have the full range well possibly 2 or 3 of each.

I was going to put them on ebay

Anybody out there wants them at £3 each can have them,plus postage

I will sell seperately

Paul

PM sent!

Carlos

Hi All

Ive got 24 of them in a plastic bag most are sealed in there bags i think i have the full range well possibly 2 or 3 of each.

I will sell seperately

Paul

PM from me too Paul

Don't want to be accused of a half hijack but didn't Kellogs also issue some elderly airfix 1/72 fighters as well though I think you had to collect tokens and send away for them - or was that someone else?

Somewhere I have a Gnat T1 and a First Series BT-K Spitfire, both ex Airfix. I read somewhere once (and confirmed it) that the Spit was issued with the canopy from JE-J so they had obviously lost the mould for that part.

Hi All

I will sell seperately

Paul

Hi Paul,

PM just sent.

Regards

Reggie

I've got a bunch of these. Around 20 assorted. Was thinking of selling them.

Hi All

All i have left is the following

2x Alberene ?

£3 each plus postage to a new home

Paul

Whats an Alberene!!!!??????

Also back in the sixties Kelloggs did at least one airliner kit at about 2-3 times the size of the later brightly coloured plastic offerings. I had the VC10: very crisply moulded in silver grey plastic (as were Airfix kits in those days). I suspect that some bits eg undercarriage were vastly overscale but they were quite well detailed (perforated windows IIRC, tyres differentiated from wheels). I still have the wheels and engine pods somewhere. Suspect that was a "collect tokens and send off for it" deal as well.

• 1 month later...

I remember the Concorde had peel off tranfers and retractable undercarriage.

Also didn't Kellogs do spacecraft? I seem to remember a tiny Gemini rocket from somewhere.

Trevor

• 6 years later...

Kellogg also did a series of WWI fighters in the early seventies. A Sopwith Pup,DH5,Bristol M1c,SE5,Albatros DII,and Fokker DVIII monoplane.They were replaced by a series of railway engines.My kids had to consume a lot of Rice Krispies and Cocopops!The fighters must have been about 1/144 scale.I still have a few damaged ones that I will check the scale on.I think that I also have a DII and a DH5 unbuilt.They were neat little models. 

I have a Folland Gnat T.1 and early  Spitfire, BT-K issue albeit with a Spitfire IX canopy - I believe the original canopy mould was missing or damaged.. Both kits were obviously Airfix originated but instructions and transfers (well, I am old) are devoid of any Airfix references.

There is a bit of a question mark over the Spitfire. If the JE-J Airfix Spit IX was now extant, why on earth did they haul out the old BT-K moulds for this Kelloggs offer?

I have no dates for either of these, possibly early/mid 1960s. They both came to me from the estate of a much missed late chum.

I remember the ones from the early 1960s which I am sure included the Comet , 707 and DC-8 plus others , sure that they were in red plastic and also recall being bought a set of them bagged together from the shop at the original terminal arrangement at Prestwick Airport around the same time when the viewing area was in the open air at ground level and separated from the ramp only by a waist high garden fence complete with latched gate.     Also recall that nothing whatsoever was happening and after being there all afternoon (clicking together tiny airliners) the viewing area attendant refunded the entry charge for the whole family because it had been so quiet.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:30 PM, Des said:

refunded the entry charge for the whole family because it had been so quiet

Great story . London Airport (Heathrow) North Terminal ( long Haul flights) was like that . Visited it 58 til closure 1961 (?) not sure but The Oceanic Building (later T3) for long haul flights was opened late 61 . The fences were low for big kids but I was 3 and half the first time, tables and chairs. Startocruisers, Connies , Starliners and DC piston props , you could almost touch . no jets the first time . Never get a refund for nothing happening there … It was free for a start and plenty to see anyway . It is my  favourite aviation memory . Just magic.

• Like 3

This thread has reappeared for the first time since I joined BM so it's an opportunity to add this Kellogg model

DSC03675

DSC03676

Complete, including the three capsules of glue. Sorry no measure but the cardboard is A4

Date and cost are given as:

DSC03673

Offer ends 1958 and 2s 11d, (15p) which is about £3.30 at todays prices. However in 1950 that would have been between an Airfix series 1 and series 2 kit which taday are: £6.99 and £9.99

This link  gives a little more information and the same search brought up an image of a US advert which says the model was available in the USA for 50c.

I know nothing about who made the kit, the only likely candidate on Scalemates seems to be Aurora but this is given as 1:104 scaleswhich does not match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul821 said:

i

DSC03675

DSC03676

Complete, including the three capsules of glue. Sorry no measure but the cardboard is A4

DSC03673

I know nothing about who made the kit, the only likely candidate on Scalemates seems to be Aurora but this is given as 1:104 scaleswhich does not match.

This kit is by Diko Rama (Mexico) and is 1/160 scale.

(From John Burns' Plastic Kits Of The 20th Century)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 13:49, daldroflas said:

Not exactly an airliner but I remember my aunt giving me one of these:

http://cerealoffers.com/Kelloggs/Frosties/1970s/Lockhead_Galaxy_Model_Kit/lockhead_galaxy_model_kit.html

spacer.png

I remember being very happy with it.

I have still have this unmade in its original Kellogs mailer!

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 2

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2012 at 04:36, Max Headroom said:

I remember the Concorde had peel off tranfers and retractable undercarriage.

Also didn't Kellogs do spacecraft? I seem to remember a tiny Gemini rocket from somewhere.

Trevor

You mean this:

414216983.jpg

Yes they did do a space age set:

The set consisted of a LEM that docked with an Apollo CM a Gemini Atlas with launch tower an Apollo crawler, a hypothetical space station and moon buggy.

414216988.jpg

414216987.jpg

414216986.jpg

414216985.jpg

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 15/05/2019 at 18:47, Paul821 said:

This thread has reappeared for the first time since I joined BM so it's an opportunity to add this Kellogg model

Offer ends 1958 and 2s 11d, (15p) which is about £3.30 at todays prices. However in 1950 that would have been between an Airfix series 1 and series 2 kit which taday are: £6.99 and £9.99

This link  gives a little more information and the same search brought up an image of a US advert which says the model was available in the USA for 50c.

Looks like the Park Plastics kit, except for the separate port tailcone - or has that broken off ? Pics of the Pegapan kit - which probably is from the same mould - here.

3 hours ago, tempestfan said:

the separate port tailcone - or has that broken off ?

Just broken off. Thanks to those who have proved additional information.