Kelloggs mini airliner kits

Anyone remember the Kelloggs mini airliner kits given away in cereal packets? The sprues were all about 50 x 90 mm and moulded in various bright colours.

I've got Boeing 747, Concorde, Comet, Tristar, Viscount and Short Flying Boat. There was also an AW Atlanta but can't remember if there were any more.

Do the moulds have any history before or since Kelloggs issued them?

Alan.

Anyone remember the Kelloggs mini airliner kits given away in cereal packets? The sprues were all about 50 x 90 mm and moulded in various bright colours.

I've got Boeing 747, Concorde, Comet, Tristar, Viscount and Short Flying Boat. There was also an AW Atlanta but can't remember if there were any more.

Alan.

Gordon Stevens of Rareplanes I believe done the masters for these models

Alan.

Hi Alan,

I think the only one missing there is the Viking. I have them all and in their various colours.

They were nice little (tiny!) kits and even included undercarriage and props in some of them. Not bad for a freebie in you breakfast cereal. :eat:

Here is an image of some of them, for those who do not know this subject.

Mike

Short Flying Boat in red and also green; Boeing 747 in blue; Comet in yellow

Colours.jpg

• Like 5

So they were a few cm long?

How many are there?

What decals did they have?

Where can I gt them from?

Yes.

Eight releases, but for the collectors, you could get them in all colours (red, yellow, green. blue IIRC)

No decals

Cereal boxes in the mid-80s!! :-)

They turned up on the competition table sat the IPMS Nats - I recall someone even converted the Comet to Nimrod!!

• Like 1

The models were quite good...I never did manage to get a Viscount, always seemed to be Atlanta's and Vikings

I think Shredded Wheat did a Court TriStar and maybe a BEA.

I did have a Stratocruiser once but can remember where from.

Could you do an updated photo with a ruler in it for sizing reference? They look very cool.

are you sure the mid eighties, I can remember the flying boat but that was when i was a kid, and i left school in 74

• Like 1

Mid eighties was about right

I remember taking one into work and and showing it to a mate who started there in the early Eighties.

The TriStars were about 1971 and they were tied in with other things, perhaps a book and something else . You had to send away for them, so I never had one.

These were in the pack as purchased.

They were being issued in 1987/88, I lived near Barnstaple in Devon and had to ask the local grocer to get extra in specially for the kits!

Mike

• Like 1

Don't want to be accused of a half hijack but didn't Kellogs also issue some elderly airfix 1/72 fighters as well though I think you had to collect tokens and send away for them - or was that someone else?

These were first around in the 1960's,as the neighbour next door used to give them to me,as she knew I built kits.Then it was the likes of the DC10,etc,as far as I recall.I agree with Graham Walker,as I left school in '74 too.

I don't remember airliners, but in the '60s Kelloggs did a kit of Gerry Anderson's Fireball XL5. It was a "collect tokens and send off for it" deal,

it was a good easy build, but I can't recall what happened to mine . . .

Also back in the sixties Kelloggs did at least one airliner kit at about 2-3 times the size of the later brightly coloured plastic offerings. I had the VC10: very crisply moulded in silver grey plastic (as were Airfix kits in those days). I suspect that some bits eg undercarriage were vastly overscale but they were quite well detailed (perforated windows IIRC, tyres differentiated from wheels). I still have the wheels and engine pods somewhere. Suspect that was a "collect tokens and send off for it" deal as well.

Edited by Seahawk

I don't remember airliners, but in the '60s Kelloggs did a kit of Gerry Anderson's Fireball XL5. It was a "collect tokens and send off for it" deal,

it was a good easy build, but I can't recall what happened to mine . . .

Kitmaster did the moulds. I had one, I lost a fin off the nose section. My mother had a habit of 'Dusting' my models, which invariably resulted in bits being broken off and thrown out. She didn't approve of me 'wasting' my money on kits every week.

I remember my brother being given a Mk 1 Blenheim and a DH 86 Express. No idea of their origins. quite big models, sadly gone the same way.