Aliens APC

Greetings from a forum noob!

My story is probably a familiar one to such modelling luminaries as yourselves –

Did quite a lot of (poor) kit building as a kid and into my teens before my time was usurped by life/girls/mortgage/kids etc….

Now, some twenty-odd years later, I really want to get back to the bench and try some proper, patient, pre-planned plastic wrangling.

Turning out my cupboards I found several old sci fi kits I had left over unbuilt from my youth to start me off, one of which is that old classic the Halcyon Aliens APC.

My original plan was to get two as I wanted to do a standard build and make it into a diorama, and a second one as a cutaway with full interior.

But for whatever reasons I only got as far as buying one.

A friend told me to stick in on ebay as they fetch a bob or two these days (honestly, some people have no soul!!)

So, getting to the point, my question is twofold

a.) If I wanted to get hold of another Halcyon one these days, am I looking at having to spend stupid amounts of money?

b.) Forgetting Halcyon, is there a good, current kit version that is more readily available?

Having scanned through the forum for a while you guys certainly seem to know your stuff so I apologise in advance if I ask a stream of daft questions

And forgive my verbosity – I’m just excited to be getting back into modelling after all this time :fool:

Edited by DocSavage

Hi Doc, :post1:

like your self I am building my Alien APC which I have posted here.http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234919274

I am going to light it up & add a few figures.

i affraid you are looking at a few bob to get the APC now as I was lucky to get mine at a show a few years ago for a reasonable price, but on ebay....the sky's the limit :hypnotised:

So it's a case of being in the right place at the right time.

As for any new gear on Alien APC it's not good for modellers, so Halcyon is the best option at the moment. keep on with the build & get some pics on the forum

good luck

Mark :winkgrin:

:post1: Welcome, fellow noob!

The kit is bloomin' expensive- there's one thats attracted £40 on e-bay now, with eight days to run! :gobsmacked:

You could try tracking down one of the kits mentioned in this link:

linky no idea of cost, or even how hard it'd be to get one into the UK.

If you do track one down, this might be useful: 3d model

You could use this for your diorama, it's a bit small, but that would allow for more landscape? 1/72 model

And I guess, if all else fails, there's always this: concept APC Not cheap, but they reckon it's available worldwide.

Hope that helps, Doc. :)

The exterior shots used a converted aircraft tug whilst I believe the interior shots were on a seperate set..... thus giving the APC a somewhat tardis like appearance so doing a full interior could be tricky.

The exterior shots used a converted aircraft tug whilst I believe the interior shots were on a seperate set..... thus giving the APC a somewhat tardis like appearance so doing a full interior could be tricky.

Big understatement! Start by realizing that the driver and front left wheel occupy the same space.

And it doesn't help that Halcyon have long been out of business. It'll cost you but check with Tony James at Comet Miniatures.

There, there oileanach - I did and it certainly gave me food for thought :hmmm:

But I have to say, having taken time to go through the wip and finished articles threads here it's put my meager modelling abilities to shame.

Perhaps before unleashing my sausage fingers on an expensive, out of production kit I should dust of what paltry skills I have on something cheaper and more readily replaced should it all go breasts skywards....

:D Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm doing, too. 'Bargin bucket' 1/72 kits for airbrush practice, GW miniatures to get my hand in with a detail brush.

I've got a couple of ideas for long term projects, but for now I'm just building skills and technique.

That said, I'm having a whale of a time just 'training', so it's all good! B)