Spitfire Mk viii

Hi all,

Looking back over my posts recently I became aware how pitifully few pics I had posted! I haven't had a chance to do much modelling lately but I've decided to have a crack at all the 1/48 Spitfire kits I've stashed away over the years! I figure that, if I get some sort of production line going, perhaps I'll even finish a few! Now, I'm far from an expert on Spitfires so there are probably going to be a few cock-ups along the way! This time I decided to actually look at the reference stuff I have (surprisingly a lot - but no memory of having bought most of it!) BEFORE I make the model!!

So, this is my first finished effort. This is the ICM kit, which is very good - a bit fiddly, since they seem to put every part for every version in the same box - but very cheap! I started looking through old decal sheets and came across an Aeromaster sheet for Aussie Spits featuring Norm Smithells' aircraft from 79 Squadron based on Morotai in early 1945. Aeromaster would have you paint this in a strange pea-green colour along with the grey but, having had experience of Aeromaster sheets before, I thought I had better check! I came across several references and a few black & white pics of part of the real thing and it appears it was simply the standard scheme of Ocean Grey & Dark Green. There were a few interesting variations though - the DG wrapped under the nose and there was a different colour under the serial (painting out ex-RAF serial MT594 according to some sources) - plus the all white tail surfaces. I'm not sure if I've got this quite right - I've seen some illustrations that show the tailplane camouflaged but I'm not sure this is correct. I just thought it would look pretty good like that! Also, the elephant painted under the cockpit is pink on the decal sheet but, according to the pilot, it was grey. I've used the decal and then overpainted it in grey - could be better!!

I wanted to start with a Mk VIII as I have plans to build a 1/32 Tamiya one - not that I have one yet!

I didn't do too much in the cockpit since the transparencies are pretty thick and probably wouldn't have looked too clever opened. I did used some Quickboost resin wheels (really beautiful!). I lost the kit ones...

Couple of cock-ups I have noticed since taking the pics - I had to cut out the spent ammo chutes as they are all blanked out on the kit but made a real mess of it! I've put small, thin plasticard over the too large holes & forgotten to cut smaller ones! Anyway, all comment gratefully received!

Painted with Tamiya acrylics

s8_1.jpg

s8_2.jpg

s8_3.jpg

s8_4.jpg

s8_5.jpg

s8_6.jpg

s8_7.jpg

s8_8.jpg

Nice build. Norm got a '109 in Europe while serving with an RAF Squadron, he also told the story of train busting over France when him and his mate got badly shot up by a flak car which resulted in his spitfire getting belly flopped on the first piece of flat land he saw coming back over the channel. I believe he passed away not all that long ago.

Nice build. Norm got a '109 in Europe while serving with an RAF Squadron, he also told the story of train busting over France when him and his mate got badly shot up by a flak car which resulted in his spitfire getting belly flopped on the first piece of flat land he saw coming back over the channel. I believe he passed away not all that long ago.

Hi Brad, thanks for the comment! I hope I did Norm justice!

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Now moving on to the next one....

Nicely put together and an excellent weathered finish Dave. That makes for an interesting "first one" for the collection. At the risk of getting a probably well deserved

response can I humbly suggest a nice base for it..........

Stu

Very nice work, I too built an ICM Spit VIII - tricky little bugger in places but a great looking end-product. Good stuff.

Very nice work, I too built an ICM Spit VIII - tricky little bugger in places but a great looking end-product. Good stuff.

Hi Andy,

Yes, agreed! Started to build the engine and gave up! Also, I didn't really get the tailwheel sit right as the kit doesn't have the cut lines for the wheel doors so I sort of guessed - and there doesn't seem to be the correct location for the tailwheel if you decide to go with this option. However, I must say it really looks the part when finished. I do have another of these to build and I will do it as a nine I think. The kit wheels are practically unusable due to massive sink holes - but I did stock up on some Quickboost resin ones like I used on this build.

What version did you make? I also quite fancy getting another & building a 7...

Dave

Now that looks really good Dave :partytime: . The only thing that is missing is that you need another one to go with it ......like a Vc. (Spits get lonely on their own :unsure: )

I hope you are bringing it along to the next club night??

Now that looks really good Dave :partytime: . The only thing that is missing is that you need another one to go with it ......like a Vc. (Spits get lonely on their own :unsure: )

I hope you are bringing it along to the next club night??

Hi Dick,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, already working on a friend for Spit VIII - a nice Spit XVI (and French too!) :kissing2:

Yes, will bring it along to the next club meeting.

Dave

Edited by Dave100TR

Nicely put together and an excellent weathered finish Dave. That makes for an interesting "first one" for the collection. At the risk of getting a probably well deserved

response can I humbly suggest a nice base for it..........

Stu

Yes, agreed! Started to take some pics with it on a base but it didn't look right...

D

Yes, already working on a friend for Spit VIII - a nice Spit XVI (and French too!) :kissing2:

Welcome to the "Spitfire addicts" club :wicked: Now all you need to do is forward plan for the next year :hypnotised: ........... Say a Mk 12, a couple of 5b's ......I think you get the drift :thumbsup:

Edited by jenko