'Vimy Commercial' Information Sought

Old Man

I know this is a long shot, but I am looking for information on cockpit arrangements, and the access between the cockpit and the passenger area of the airliner version of the Vickers Vimy bomber, built shortly after the First World War. I have a couple of the Maquette kits of this type (a Frog Vimy kit with the new, bulbous fuselage added), and have after some years still drawn a blank on this. If anybody has anything, I would be very grateful for any help. My intention is to build a Vernon military transport, but I expect the cockpits would be similar enough.

Unfortunately all the interior photos I have are facing rear...

Given the fact that there is a door just behind the cockpit I doubt if any step exists; Probably there is some kind of aperture behind a folding seat of the co-pilot.

Please let us know if you find something, I am also interested.

Carlos

Not quite what you asked for but it might be helpful. I have the same kit and thought about a Vernon but I could not find any decent photos of the Napier engines. Might one ask if you have found such?

Regards, Steve

http://www.ivyandmartin.demon.co.uk/v_victoria.htm

That is quite an album, Sir. I expect much scratch-building would be needed, but a Victoria would be an excellent model. These transports were more important than is generally recognized.

I agree that cockpit and cabin probably did not change much, and this is a very useful picture:

victoria5.jpg

I have my eye on an early Vernon, still using Rolls-Royce Eagles. I have found a few Lion pictures I consider decent, if they are any help to you....

Napierlion51383camshafttimingcheck1.jpg

Napier-Lion-engine.jpg

D12NRENGINEC.jpg

Unfortunately all the interior photos I have are facing rear...

Given the fact that there is a door just behind the cockpit I doubt if any step exists; Probably there is some kind of aperture behind a folding seat of the co-pilot.

Please let us know if you find something, I am also interested.

Carlos

Here is what I had to date, Sir, that face forward....

vickers-vimy-commercial-nakami.jpg

Fig220.jpg

The thing about the first one is that while it shows the control columns, there is no evidence of a seat, which is puzzling....

Here is a picture of the Alcock Vimy's cockpit, which may have some things in common, as it at least had side-by side seating, though not dual control....

VickersVimycockpit.jpg

NOt a photo, but the sketch in this Flight article shows some of the detail - the other pages of the article show other details:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/vie...20-%200803.html

Very helpful, Sir. Thank you. Often drawings are easier to get information from than photographs. This article seems to be the source for many of the pictures I have gleaned from other sources.

Thanks Old Man for posting this enquiry and to all those who have responded :thumbsup2:

I've a Vimy Commercial in my stash too and all this stuff is going to be sooo useful!

Cheers

Cliff

At least the prototype had oval windows. I believe some aircraft didn't have the door at the front, and some so called Vimy Commercials were in fact Vernons with Lion engines in the lower wings.

Vernons also had some variety in the window arrangement.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would add a little more to this, gentlemen; the first of these period drawings I have had for a while (from Flugsport), the second I just came upon, from the cover an August, 1919 issue of Scientific American:

Vickers_Vimy_Commercial_Structure.jpg

vmycm_sciam1919.jpg