WIP No.2: HMS Fury

Well, this started as a side project to the Hatsuyuki and rather took on a life of it's own!

I bought several of the E class model when Tamiya first released it a few years ago. My original intention was to use one kit to model the I class destroyer HMS Intrepid fitted as a minelayer, but that stalled after removing most of the detail on the deck. My next thought was to model the HMS Fame using the second kit I bought, but after doing some preliminary work I lost interest. My interest was rekindled after seeing the photograph of the HMS Fury used for the last chapter header in Norman Friedman's second volume on British Destroyers, plus various other images I'd accumulated from the IWM site.

So, here she is at the moment:

HMS Fury 00

HMS Fury 01

Most of the basic construction is done and the superstructure comes off to aid painting. I've used Zap-a-Gap to stick the WEM etch in place, so I'll have to see how that stands up to painting, so fingers crossed I don't pop it off! :pray: This is the first time I've had the nerve to add etch to a ship model and I'm rather chuffed it's come out as well as it has!

Comments welcome,

Mike. :)

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 2

Hello there, I agree with the posts above, the ship looks good from here. Very cleanly done, and I am looking forward to seeing her painted up.

Thanks for sharing, kind regards, Ray

Thanks guys! :speak_cool:

Since those pictures were taken, I've added the 20mm either side of the bridge and also the 0.5 inch quads between the funnels, so she's ready for painting.

Well, here she is for today:

HMS Fury 02

She's now (off)white courtesy of WEM, but I'm not too happy with the finish - she's a bit "clarted"! :poo:

I undercoated with a Humbrol Matt White spraycan which saved on paint layers, but the WEM paint wasn't the most co-operative when I brush painted it on. I'm assuming it must have been with the temperature being so high it interfered with the paint.

On to the deck next!

Edited by MikeR

• 3 weeks later...

Some more progress - WEM MS2 used for the deck:

HMS Fury 03

I'm not overly happy with the deck edges. I'll have to give it a gentle rub down to enable a sharper demarcation between hull side and deck, then tidy.

Otherwise it's getting there slowly. I've made a start on painting WEM Western Approaches Blue on the superstructure which you can just about make out against the RN White! I haven't done the hull yet for the reason I stated above.

Edited by MikeR

Mike, your model is superb, but how sure are you that Fury had any WA Blue in her camouflage scheme at that time? Ashanti was in a two-tone scheme of white and WA blue at the time of the photo in Friedman's book and in that photo and others taken in the same sequence the darker camouflage panels on Fury look to have been a much darker tone than the WA blue panels on Ashanti.

Thanks, Dick! :thumbsup2:

I did wonder about that myself looking at those images. The panels do look darker than those on the Ashanti (I thought perhaps they were B55), but I had a look through the ModelWarships forum and found a post by Alan Raven explicitly saying they should be WA Blue. So I just decided to go with that!

Alan is sometimes wrong! In fairness to him (having looked at the post in question) I think he rushed a reply focused on Fury and without thinking about Ashanti in the background. He seemed perhaps most concerned to bat off the idea of any funnel bands.

It is too early for B55. Having looked at other photos of the period I think the obvious candidate for the darker tone on Fury is WA Green.....

Edited by dickrd

Very nice model Mike.

Like Phil R I need glasses for 1/350 :coolio: and find that me 1/700 Yamato is never going to be made :undecided:

Great work so far and watching with great interest :popcorn:

Edited by foxy

Thanks for the kind words, foxy! :thumbsup2:

Alan is sometimes wrong! In fairness to him (having looked at the post in question) I think he rushed a reply focused on Fury and without thinking about Ashanti in the background. He seemed perhaps most concerned to bat off the idea of any funnel bands.

It is too early for B55. Having looked at other photos of the period I think the obvious candidate for the darker tone on Fury is WA Green.....

Hi dick,

As you know ;) , I've posted over on Steelnavy so we'll see how Alan responds further. I've also PM'd Laurence Batchelor on Modelwarships as well, though I'm still awaiting a reply.

I'm a bit dubious about green, but I do agree that the WEM colour is a bit on the pale side for whatever shade Fury had. That image you highlighted is a good one as it confirms that she did indeed have her flotilla bands. Looking at the photo in Friedman you can see them although they've got a lot of crud on top! A little extra detail is good! The only bit I've deliberately left off is what I assume is a crew shelter between the 0.5's. I can tell it's rounded on top, but exactly how it goes on the bandstand and how big it is isn't clear from the images I used.

Edited by MikeR

Yes.

Just what colour the darker tone in certain 1942 repaints of WA pattern schemes was is a puzzle I'd like to get to the bottom of. Fury was not the only one to change from WA blue. It may indeed be some unofficial darker shade of blue rather than WA green but I wanted to provoke thought.

Anyhow, I think that you would certainly be right with the WA Blue on Fury from 13 Feb 1942 - c 20 May 1942 (we are told that it took a destroyer about 2-3 days to self-repaint.)

(I think the flotilla bands were (not very well) painted out briefly for that super-combined flotilla that Peter mentioned.)

(My impression is that that shelter was a canvass "tunnel".)

Best wishes

• 2 weeks later...

Well, sorting the hull sides proved to be trickier than I thought. I had to rub them down to nearly the bare plastic because the lower layers hadn't cured properly. :wall:

Anyway, the hull's almost sorted and the superstructure is nearly complete.

HMS Fury 04

HMS Fury 05

HMS Fury 06

The two close up views aren't altogether flattering - she looks better from a distance!!

Edited by MikeR

• 1 month later...

Well, she still isn't finished, but I'm getting there!

I went through one of those periods where the "mojo" disappeared - I couldn't be bothered doing anything with her! :hanging:

I've now got off my backside and done some more work:

HMS Fury 07

Camouflage is now complete and she's had a gloss coat for the decals.

HMS Fury 08

I used some old Modeldecal white RAF codes as a basis for this. Since the Fury had her pennant number in blue, had to carefully paint over the decals to get the effect I needed.

It's not perfect, but it'll have to do. I've gloss coated again to seal the decals in, then it's on to weathering and the final matt coat to dull everything down.

Edited by MikeR

• 1 year later...