Leman Russ Executioner

Here's my latest build, ready for a big apocalypse game me and some mates are playing in June. It's a Leman Russ Executioner from Forge World - interestingly, not only did I get the tank accessory sprue I was asking about on another thread, but also the new version of the Leman Russ kit - meaning I have another turret to build with all the weapon options!

The turret is a 3 part resin replacement for the kit turret.

7232547634_32cdc3d652.jpg

7232548028_92b10d439d.jpg

7232547020_742311d5bb.jpg

Sprayed with Humbrol rattle cans, and weathered using cheap oil paints and Mig and Forge World powders.

Bigger pics on my Flickr page.

Cheers! :D

Digging the landie wolf and the looted rhino on flickr! :speak_cool:

Have you got something specific planed for the Executioner- tactically- or was it just too cool to resist?

Nice looking Leman Russ! Theres something really brutal looking about that big Plasma Cannon in the turret isn't there?

You mentioned that there is a new Leman Russ plastic kit out, what are the differences between it and the old version? I've built several of the old version but never seen the new version.

Cheers!

Nik

Have you got something specific planed for the Executioner- tactically- or was it just too cool to resist?

A bit of both! There is going to be a large contingent of Necrons opposing us - so I am hoping this might wipe a few out...that and it looks mean!

You mentioned that there is a new Leman Russ plastic kit out, what are the differences between it and the old version?

The old version just has a battle cannon turret and heavy bolter sponsons - on the new kit you get a vanquisher, eradicator, exterminator and battle cannon options for the turret, and plasma, melta guns, flamers, and heavy bolters for the sponsons. There is a similar set for the LR demolisher and other variants too.

You don't get the accessory sprue though, they flog that direct only now, so I was most suprised to have one of those included in the bag!

Cheers for the kind words gents!

Lovely job on that there Leman! :clap2:

I mentioned that I got the older version of the Leman Russ kit in the Atlas Recovery conversion to one of the chaps in my local GW store. Apparently the masters for it were tooled up for the older version of the kit! Don't mind to be honest as you gets lots of extra bits to play with! :evil_laugh:

Regards,

Steve

Cheers!

Ah, I guess that makes sense for the Atlas as it looks like parts of the hull are replaced from the pictures (I have never seen one in the flesh myself).

I just helped a mate of mine build his Stormeagle - by far the worst kit I have ever fought with! Loads of spare bits left over from that too, mind. His Space Marine assault ram (I forget the name of it) was easier and that's all resin!

I have also finally got round to drilling out the heavy bolter barrel and adding the tow cable after softening it with a hair-drier and reshaping it for the Leman Russ, so now I can call it finished!

Edited by jonas_415

How bad is it?

An absolute nightmare. The hardest model I have ever done battle with. The main problem was mating the resin sides (warped and rough) to the plastic bits (straight and precise)! It took two of us, neither inexperienced with resin or kit building in general, about 3 tubes of superglue, loads of elastic bands, plenty of trimming, heating and reshaping, filling, a lot of tea, a couple of cigarettes and two attempts.

It looks the business though! B)

:fraidnot: Yeah, with a couple of skilled modellers on the case. I think I'll leave it for now, build some experience with well made 1/72 'planes until I'm happy I can get the kind of finish I want. Then worry about forcing errant resin into shape.

Good job I wasn't looking at a FW Titan! :D

Good job I wasn't looking at a FW Titan!

Funnliy enough, I said the same think to my mate Andrew while we wrestled with the Storm Eagle build!