Old Humbrol airbrush connector problem

plastic

Hello all. Got a problem, as title. It's the old, Humbrol single action airbrush with a slide on top. I used to use it way, (way), back using propellant cans. Now, I'd like to use this again for general, quick work instead of my badger single action. Trouble is that the propellant can connector has a much bigger thread than that on modern cans. Looks like a BSP thread. Does anyone know of an adaptor I could get or some other method of conversion to allow me to use the thing? It was a great 'brush in the old days for quick and dirty, small jobs and I really would like to use it again.

Many thanks in advance for any help lads.

Edit--Just remembered it's the Studio 1

Edited by plastic

Ok, I'll answer my own question, whilst appearing a pillock.

When I got my new Badger, I found that the propellant can connector had to be screwed on to a connector on the hose. This thread was very small and fine, probably 1/8" BSP. I never once thought to check the thread on the new propellant cans, just had this small thread in my mind. I did try my Studio 1 but the thread just would not engage. Different thread thought I disgustedly, why change what was a standard thread? Threw the Studio 1 back in it's box and forgot about it till yesterday, hence my question.

Now, dug it out today to have a play around and see how I could maybe rig something up---spotted the connector thread was burred over, filed that clear and then---BRAINWAVE!!--tried it on a propellant can and---IT FITS!!

Whooo-hooo!

Now, the pillock bit comes from the fact that I spent 30 plus years in engineering, time served etc. And I never once thought to check for thread damage----Jings!!

Apologies to all for the time wasting.

PS. Tried the old airbrush--works perfectly, what can I say eh?

:banghead: :shithappens: :winkgrin:

Glad it's not just me.... :D

Have you got a picture of the studio 1? A bit cheeky, I know, but I'm intrigued, I don't think I've ever seen one. (I was out of the hobby for a long time...) I googled it, but my search fu is weak. :blush:

Have you got a picture of the studio 1? A bit cheeky, I know, but I'm intrigued, I don't think I've ever seen one. (I was out of the hobby for a long time...) I googled it, but my search fu is weak. :blush:

Yup, it was way back in the, (very), old days, 1982 I believe. I think it was one of the very first single action, 'proper', airbrushes. I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow for you.

Here you go oily,

007crop.jpg

008crop.jpg

009.jpg

010crop.jpg

Note the date on the inspection card in pic. 3! They also produced a metal tube for slipping into the paint pot to increase the amount of paint you could use, still got that somewhere too.

After a bit of practising, the first job I did with it was Otaki's 1/200 Yamato! Hull, decks and superstructure, what a set of lovely headaches I had after that!!

That big boat is still available sometimes from other manufacturers but Otaki was the original, I've still got the instructions somewhere, amssive thing!!

Edited by plastic

:speak_cool: Neat!

I got my first airbrush about the same time- well, maybe just a couple of years later- but it's a cheapo siphon feed, external mix number. I've still got it, although the feed blocked years ago. I just can't seem to let it go. Last link to my lost youth, maybe?

Anyway, I'm getting back into the hobby again. I might make a serious attempt to unblock it. It'd do for, er, I dunno, basecoating? :blush::D

Here you go oily,

010crop.jpg

Note the date on the inspection card in pic. 3!

Gordon

just PM'd you, asking about a scan of the instructions, but just remembered a few things about this, which may be of wider interest.

I got one of these circa 1981, [age 15] when I'd read too many model mags... the Studio One was interesting as it was semi dual action, in that the first 10% of the slide action allows air to flow, and then allows the paint to flow.

It got a positive review in Scale Models back then, and while not cheap at about 25 pounds [a lot of cash to a schoolboy back then] , was less than say, a Badger. Only problem was the cost of canned air, and that made it easy to skimp on cleaning.

I didn't do much spraying, a bit, but something seemed up and when I finally got around to sending it back to Humbrol it turned out there was a fault.

Not long after that I lost interest in modelling, a combination of frustration, where my expectations way outstripping ability/expectation, as the only models I saw built were in Scale Models. [One great thing about sites like this and digital cameras is it allows a far better comparison of work. Oh, and superglue, which I never tried back then as it was expensive!]

.... and the discovery of far less geeky pastimes....in my case punk rock...one form or plastic winning out over another.

One point was that the other hose supplied, for use with a compressor, was fitted with a non-standard fitting, this being to big. I can't remember the exact BSP, but the one supplied is about 1/2 inch diameter, this is visible in the above photo.

I did get some good results using this with canned air in the summer of 2010, but I don't think I cleaned it properly as I was using acrylics and I have not got it up and running again.

hope of interest

T