AZmodel 1:72 Spitfire PR Mk1G

This is my latest completion, it's the AZmodel 1:72 Spitfire PR Mk1G finished as part of the photographic reconnaissance unit 1941. 

It's OOB bar some tape seat belts and some tape covers for the guns. The kit's really nice, the cockpit especially is well detailed. I've had this on the go for a couple of years so the finish is a bit variable and there are areas that I'm not very proud of. The canopy is vac formed it's the first time I've tackled one, I love the clear crispness to it but it was a right pain to work. 

Its brush painted with Tamiya acrylics, the pink was hand mixed by eye and was about 95% white 5% light grey and a surprising small drop of red. 

The decals are nice and thin although the plans are a bit vague and are numbered incorrectly. The decals were really bright and stark against the pink so I mixed a couple of drops of light grey with my final coats of flat klear which softened them off. 

It's had a wash of promodeller dark to pull out the panel lines and some exhaust stains with tamiya weathering set b. 

Hope you like it, I do. 

Comments always welcome

photo-128.jpg

photo-129.jpg

photo-130.jpg

photo-131.jpg

Thanks for the kind words chaps.

I've just been comparing it to the old airfix kit, and it's surprising how different the shape is, the AZ kit looking a little "fatter" around the rear fuselage and wing roots.

Occa, it shocked me how little red was required in the white, but I think adding some grey really helped.

Edited by Neal

Thanks for the kind words chaps.

I've just been comparing it to the old airfix kit, and it's surprising how different the shape is, the AZ kit looking a little "fatter" around the rear fuselage and wing roots.

Occa, it shocked me how little red was required in the white, but I think adding some grey really helped.

Neal, I read in the 'Eyes for the Phoenix' (by Geoffrey J. Thomas - Hikoki) that they mixed the PRU pink using a very low amount of wartime roundel red with white, the first had a significant addition of grey to make it look dull.

So you're very close with your solution anyways

Edited by occa

Nice one.

Lovely looking finish great subject. I am converting the Airfix Mk1 with Pavla update to this Mk,brought Xtrapaint PRU pink but it is just pink water,so thin . I will try your mix to get that highly polished pink they used . great len

Lovely looking finish great subject. I am converting the Airfix Mk1 with Pavla update to this Mk,brought Xtrapaint PRU pink but it is just pink water,so thin . I will try your mix to get that highly polished pink they used . great len

I think you'll end up with a really nice model, as I'm not sure the AZ shape is a good as the Airfix one.

I just got mine from Hannants - (now that I've contracted the Spifire virus, I can't stop myself buying them...... :analintruder: ).

I slight problem though - despite the prominent yellow flash on the box that says 'Plastic injected canopy' - there is only a vacform one inside.

AZM72089.jpg

I can probably cope with a vacform - in fact, I don't see how they can improve on the vacform and mould the side blisters on an injection moulded canopy anyway.

But should I complain/inform Hannants ????

Anyone else with this problem ????

Ken (who is now suffering from Spitfire syndrome)

I just got mine from Hannants - (now that I've contracted the Spifire virus, I can't stop myself buying them...... :analintruder: ).

I slight problem though - despite the prominent yellow flash on the box that says 'Plastic injected canopy' - there is only a vacform one

I can probably cope with a vacform - in fact, I don't see how they can improve on the vacform and mould the side blisters on an injection moulded canopy anyway.

But should I complain/inform Hannants ????

Anyone else with this problem ????

Ken (who is now suffering from Spitfire syndrome)

Ken,

When I bought mine it was stated in the advert that the box was incorrect.

The canopy is a good shape and it's nice an thin.

Edited by Neal