Fairey Gannet COD4

My first vacform kit, and it won't be my last- they're lots of fun to build!

As far as fit went it was perfect- much better than the previous kit I made, an Airfix Buccaneer. It just took some black lines and a bit of care to get right.
I did struggle a bit with the amount of parts that need to be scratch made though, but definately a good way to learn how to do it.

WIP thread is here:
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...topic=234912805

IMG_9258.jpg

IMG_9259.jpg

IMG_9260.jpg

IMG_9266.jpg

IMG_9270.jpg

I still have a Vixen to add to the Hermes line up...
IMG_9277.jpg

Edited by Rizzo
  • Like 1

That's beautiful , if a Gannet could ever be described as beautiful. But , you know what I mean , fantastic ,modelling at its best.

Andrew

I'm sorry, can you repeat that? It sounded like you said this was a vacform...!

Great job! If you can do that on your first go then I can't wait to see what comes next.

:clap2:

Hi Rizzo, That's very tasty, you've captured the look of the old COD Gannet very well, even down to the green plate on the starboard nose wheel hub. The Gannet was the first aircraft type I worked on after joining the FAA in 1966. So your model brings back fond memories of my days on 849 squadron at Culdrose.

Thanks for sharing your model pics.

Colin on the Africa Station

I'm sorry, can you repeat that? It sounded like you said this was a vacform...!

:ditto: If this was an injection moulded kit, this would be a superb result. But for a vacform... :gobsmacked:

It's a masterpiece. :thumbsup:

So... what's next? A Sea Vixen would look good sat next to the Gannet and the Bucc.

Thanks for comments! :)

I do think vacform models maybe have a bad reputation from a few too many terrible kits being available. I think most people would be surprised at just how well this kit goes together.

:ditto: If this was an injection moulded kit, this would be a superb result. But for a vacform... :gobsmacked:

It's a masterpiece. :thumbsup:

So... what's next? A Sea Vixen would look good sat next to the Gannet and the Bucc.

Well I do have two Sea Vixens planned.. one for the Buccaneer, and an FAW1 for a Scimitar.

But I've been looking at a few Wingnut Wings builds over in the WWI section, and that really gave me the push to finally finish up my SE5a (rigging... argh!). And after that I'm going to start a Model Airways 1/16 Sopwith Camel (just to keep with the theme of being way out of my depth :lol: )

Rizzo, that is truely awesome, as is the Bucc. And i cant wait to see you Sea Vixen. Fanastic modelling, you should be proud of them.

The scratch-effort definitely looks worth every bit of effort there. The wing-folds certainly benefited from the extra bit, and the intake covers are top-class! You've another to be duly proud of there, excellent work indeed sir!

A. C.