Hi all,

Well here's my entry into the GB.

1/48 Tamiya F16C Blk50,

F16CBlk50HellenicAF001.jpg

with Aires Cockpit, Wheel bays and Exhaust,

F16CBlk50HellenicAF002.jpg

Steel Beach Intake and Antenna covers and Master Model pitot tube,

F16CBlk50HellenicAF003.jpg

Decals will come from TwoBobs, Icarus and Zotz and all that should hopefully give me this

f_16_50_17.jpg

If anyone has two spare AGM65 Mavericks from Hobbyboss I'll gladly take them off your hands.

Edited by scotthldr

I'm going to be up against it with this one as it normally takes me 10-12 weeks to build a 1/48 jet, and with going away on holiday at the end of June I'm going to miss the last 2 weeks of the GB.

So 7 weeks to build this :suicide:

Some progress

The cockpit has been built up painted and fitted in the forward fuselage, nothing untoward here with it basically being a drop in fit just a bit of filler required in front of the IP combing.

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

The wheels bays are been painted up, and this time I tried something different in painting them Black first followed by White. This was something I saw on here and the reason behind this is that it give the effect of shadowing. It work but unfortunately I can't get a decent picture of the finished article.

001.jpg

The tail unit has been made up and a bit of modification was required to get the correct tail for the Hellenic jets, with them having the para housing and RWR antenna fitted. These parts were left over from the Kinetic Blk52 kit I've just finished building and they fit onto the main Tamiya tail unit pretty well(Kinetic parts are Dk Grey), the parachute came from CK design which was left over from another F16 build.

004.jpg

Other things done so far

Pylons made up

Drop tanks made up

Intake and Intake cover made up

LANTRIN AAQ-13 & 14 made up

Started making up the AIM120's and AIM9's

Hopefully start getting the fuselage together later tonight.

Edited by scotthldr

What a joy it is making this kit and compared to the Kinetic F16 what a difference considering that they are particularly the same kit. Just shows how well engineered the Tamiya moulds are.

This kit is falling together with very little in the way of correction for parts to fit. The only area that will require a bit of further work are the 2 panels (one either side) just behind the radome, however this area on the Kinetic kit required some serious filling and sanding, not so this time.

The Aires main wheelbay drop fitted straight in and fits like a glove, not so the front wheelbay as some idiot superglued it back to front (don't know who it was ) so it had to be broke out and re fixed the correct way, so the seam isn't the best there but a touch of filler will cure that.

The front and rear upper fuselage parts went together very snug, this was followed with attaching the upper and lower fuselage halves and again the fit was prefect. Next the lower wings were attached and again a prefect fit followed by the rear lower ventral stabilisers along with some of the smaller parts dotted around the wings and fuselage.

The tail until on this kit can be fitted without glue so it can come off for transport(the weapons are the same) why I don't know, and to be honest the fit isn't great, so like every other model I will be gluing it in place but for the time being it's dry fitted.

All together a very satisfying evening

F16CBlk50HellenicAF008.jpg

F16CBlk50HellenicAF007.jpg

F16CBlk50HellenicAF004.jpg

F16CBlk50HellenicAF005.jpg

F16CBlk50HellenicAF006.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys. This is the 3rd Hellenic F16 I've done in the last 2 years with one more in the pipe line, although I will probably add to that in time.

Have spent the last 2 nights concentrating on the exhaust, with this being a Blk50 it is powered by the General Electric F110-GE-100. On my last 2 F16 builds they have used the Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-229 so something new here. As in the past builds I have elected to use the Aires replacement exhaust as I find they add a lot to the overall finished build.

First stage was to wash and dry the entire resin contents, this was followed by sprayed the internal surfaces Light Sand to replicate the ceramic material

F16CBlk50HellenicAF013.jpg

This was followed by spraying the "feathers" with Anthracite followed by Gunmetal

F16CBlk50HellenicAF009.jpg

F16CBlk50HellenicAF010.jpg

Then the longest part, masking up the "feathers" to paint the Dark Grey overlap areas on each feather. I had decals for this but they are sized for the Dr Pepper exhaust and are Black and from pictures the area is more a Dark Grey. So I decided to spray them, it took just over the hour to mask up

F16CBlk50HellenicAF011.jpg

After a couple of passes and left to dry for 15mins it was time to remove the masking and hope for the best

F16CBlk50HellenicAF014.jpg

Glad to say it turned out ok

F16CBlk50HellenicAF012.jpg

F16CBlk50HellenicAF015.jpg

It was then time to soot up the inside of the exhaust, for this I used Anthracite and gently built up the look I was after.

F16CBlk50HellenicAF016.jpg

F16CBlk50HellenicAF018.jpg

F16CBlk50HellenicAF019.jpg

And lastly the Afterburner ring was painted and detailed

F16CBlk50HellenicAF017.jpg

Just need to build it up now.

Steady progress is being made, with the majority of the building finshed.

Despite the overall excellent fit of this kit it still required it's share of the Green stuff to rid it of the seams, although I suspect this is down to the inclusion of the Aires wheel bays and cockpit as most of the filler was required in those areas. Like the Kinetic kit the biggest problem area was the area in front of the cockpit down to the radome, where seven parts meet up, due to these parts being assembled at different times it is impossible to get then all lined up, but nothing the Green stuff and 350 Grit can't sort out.

As it stands, all seams have been filled, sanded then smoothed off and the whole kit has been washed in preparation for the base coat along with all the attachments, pylons, tanks, AAM's and LANTRIN pods. The exhaust has been detailed up and assembled and awaits fitting at the end.

F16CBlk50HellenicAF021.jpg

F16CBlK50HellenicAF022.jpg

F16CBlk50HellenicAF020.jpg

Scott