Sea Harrier FRS. 1 XZ451 700A Squadron during 1979

Daniel Cox

Hi All,

Has anyone seen any photographic images of the Sea Harrier FRS. 1 XZ451 marked as VL, 100 of 700A Squadron (Sqn) during 1979 fitted with the outer pylons?

I have seen images of XZ451 as VL, 100 fitted with inner wing pylons plus tanks and Aden gun pods when with 899 Sqn, that said all the images I have seen of it with 700A Sqn show it with no gun pods no outer wing pylons and either inner pylons with or without tanks or no pylons at all.

During its time with 700A Sqn did XZ451 ever carry gun pods, outer wing pylons and or Sidewinder rails or missiles at any point or was it only ever configured as seen in currently published photos?

Cheers,

Daniel.

Scale Aircraft Modelling Vol 3 number 12 has a photo of VL 100 with only fuel tanks but, clearly at the stern of the ship, is another aircraft with stores on the outer pylons and cannon on the belly. If I had to take a bet, I would say the outer pylons are carrying 1000lb bombs.

Picture here:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/Dogsbodyx/FRS1.jpg

Edited by Dogsbodyx

Hi Dave,

Aeroguide 32 on the Sea Harrier by Roger Chesneau has a picture of XZ453 wearing 700A markings. Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket 1/72nd scale fairing to be used in the absence of pylons beneath the wings.

Cheers,

Daniel.

P.S. Thanks Dogsbodyx for sharing the pic

I'm sure someone did the fairings (Heritage?) but can't remember for sure.

In any case, they aren't difficult to replicate. Have a look at the following link (if it doesn't take you to the right page, you want Page 5/36) there's a photo at the top.

<link removed due to copyright infringement>

Guys - sorry to remove the link, but sites like Scribd are encouraging copyright theft by allowing downloading and viewing of books that are copyright of the lawful publishers. In this case it's AdHoc publications that own the copyright, and they have asked us to remove the offending link, which is quite right. :)

Roger at AdHoc has asked people to contact him at his email address if they have any queries on any of his publications.