Pocher Car Kits

D1fuN0

Good Afternoon everyone

If anyone has any unbuilt Pocher car kits lying around (as one does ;) ), and you're willing to sell, please send me a PM.

Likewise, any old Gunze Sangyo Motorbike kits (especially the Indian or BSA).

Quite happy to pay good, fair prices and p&p

Thanks

:smurf: Steve :smurf:

I only wish I had... I did have 3 of these kits (Ferrari Testarossa's, one was a spyder) in the 1990's, built them then sold then all a few years later... I would love to build another but the going prices for these kits now exceed my shallow pockets...

good luck with your seasch.

I only wish I had... I did have 3 of these kits (Ferrari Testarossa's, one was a spyder) in the 1990's, built them then sold then all a few years later... I would love to build another but the going prices for these kits now exceed my shallow pockets...

good luck with your seasch.

Ha.. I agree

I have the Testarossa, and the old Fiat, and the Alfa Romeo which i was exceptionally lucky to pick up at next to nothing. I dont know if in too scared to build one or if i will be burnt at the stake and branded a heretic if i do. If you look on Ebay, these things have stoopid price...

Anyway, the search continues...

:ninja: Steve :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

I there, new guy here. Brit Chris in Germany. Just wanted to show you my latest project, a Pocher 500K Mercedes. Still a long way to go yet.

20542d1330295001-article-pocher-k74-mercedes-benz-spezial-cabrio-rebuild-bo-114.jpg

20546d1330295121-article-pocher-k74-mercedes-benz-spezial-cabrio-rebuild-bo-118.jpg

I have reworked the wings and the body quite a bit and scratch build a new bonnet. Thanks for looking. Chris

I there, new guy here. Brit Chris in Germany. Just wanted to show you my latest project, a Pocher 500K Mercedes. Still a long way to go yet.

20542d1330295001-article-pocher-k74-mercedes-benz-spezial-cabrio-rebuild-bo-114.jpg

20546d1330295121-article-pocher-k74-mercedes-benz-spezial-cabrio-rebuild-bo-118.jpg

I have reworked the wings and the body quite a bit and scratch build a new bonnet. Thanks for looking. Chris

Chris

Oh that is just NOT fair....

Found a couple of K74, but the prices are just innnnnsane.

I have, however, found a Bugatti T50 and im sitting in Amsterdam airport, as we speak, on my way to the UK to visit the Fam and pick it up... :evil_laugh:

some reeeaaaaalllyyyy odd people in this airport

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

The Pocher Standard Bugatti T50 Coupe is a kit that I would really like to build. I have an original Pocher Mercedes that is complete with only the wheels built up that I would gladly do a straight swap for a Pocher Bugatti.

I have seen them on ebay for silly money, and have also heard about so many scams from the far east regarding Pochers, that I am reluctant to go down that route anyway even if I could afford to.

I would consider a badly built one that is an abandoned project as long as the expected price reflects this.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a couple of incomplete, very poorly thrown together ex-display Pochers (F40 & Testarossa) at work that we ebayed a few months ago. I don't remember what they went for exactly but it was the thick end of £100 each having put them on as a 99p start. Unbuilt kits do fetch some pretty obscene amounts except for the plastic bodied Porsche 993 which was made in big numbers and doesn;t seem to be considered 'real' by the collectors.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe Hornby will be able to offload the Pocher tooling to a Chinese company? It will be too expensive to produce here in the UK. My experience of Pocher kits is that they are very impressive when built up well by experienced car modellers. There must be many abandoned projects where many people have bit off a bit more than they can chew with these kits, as they are not really all that good to put together when compared to Tamiya's 1/12th scale kits for example.

Pochers are a very long haul and hard graft to put together. Unbuilt kits fetch silly money on ebay that does not reflect their indifferent quality unfortunately. Some time a go I looked at a couple of well known auction houses websites, and was disappointed to see that even well made up Pochers did not fetch much more than the original kit prices. Not much encouragement to the builders who put the hours in unfortunately! Maybe it is because they are mainly plastic kits, as models in white metal fetched quite high prices as collectables in the same sales.

It would be nice to see the Pocher range see the light of day again.

But unless they can get a manufacturer with very low overheads, realistically I can see it just isn't going to happen

Maybe Hornby will be able to offload the Pocher tooling to a Chinese company? It will be too expensive to produce here in the UK. My experience of Pocher kits is that they are very impressive when built up well by experienced car modellers. There must be many abandoned projects where many people have bit off a bit more than they can chew with these kits, as they are not really all that good to put together when compared to Tamiya's 1/12th scale kits for example.

Pochers are a very long haul and hard graft to put together. Unbuilt kits fetch silly money on ebay that does not reflect their indifferent quality unfortunately. Some time a go I looked at a couple of well known auction houses websites, and was disappointed to see that even well made up Pochers did not fetch much more than the original kit prices. Not much encouragement to the builders who put the hours in unfortunately! Maybe it is because they are mainly plastic kits, as models in white metal fetched quite high prices as collectables in the same sales.

It would be nice to see the Pocher range see the light of day again.

But unless they can get a manufacturer with very low overheads, realistically I can see it just isn't going to happen

I agree Noel, Pocher Kits are a very long haul, even the relatively 'easy' kits. The majority of kits that I find are semi built and commanding ridiculous prices. I think sometimes we forget that, in the late sixties and early seventies, these kits were 'it'. They were basically the best and you paid for it. I have an article for a Rolls Royce in Scale Models around 72 or 73, and basically they say that its the best kit ever released.

They do still stand up to todays standards I believe, and I dont think people actually realise just how much work goes into building one of these kits, especially the top end RR and Mercedes models. The Bugatti T50 i have is no walk in the park either.

I remember someone saying years ago, just how many of these kits are lying in someones loft or cupboard, half or semi built, and forgotten about...

Oh well, the quest goes on, looking for a nice Roller or Benz Cabrio now :)

Steve

I agree Noel, Pocher Kits are a very long haul, even the relatively 'easy' kits. The majority of kits that I find are semi built and commanding ridiculous prices. I think sometimes we forget that, in the late sixties and early seventies, these kits were 'it'. They were basically the best and you paid for it. I have an article for a Rolls Royce in Scale Models around 72 or 73, and basically they say that its the best kit ever released.

They do still stand up to todays standards I believe, and I dont think people actually realise just how much work goes into building one of these kits, especially the top end RR and Mercedes models. The Bugatti T50 i have is no walk in the park either.

I remember someone saying years ago, just how many of these kits are lying in someones loft or cupboard, half or semi built, and forgotten about...

Oh well, the quest goes on, looking for a nice Roller or Benz Cabrio now :)

Steve

Hi Steve, I sent you a PM about a Rolls-Royce and Merc, did you get it?

Cheers,

Brian.

I built the Pocher Ferrari Testarossa for a friend about 15-20 years ago as I always want to build a Pocher model but couldn't afford the kit. It was an interesting experience and I put in well over 100 hours, much of it correcting parts and doing a lot of reengineering to get the kit to actually fit and stay together. I recall spending a lot of time on the suspension so the car would sit with all four tyres on the ground and did a lot of work in the engine area to get all the fiddly bits to fit and connect. Also, while I don't remember the exact issues, the working doors and some other body pieces didn't fit well and had to be adjusted. I do remember using a lot of clamps, superglue, epoxy and plasticard in the process. The car came out looking nice and my friend was very pleased so I guess "All's wll that ends well."

However, after that build and reading about other's experiences, I believe while some Pocher kits maybe indeed be well engineered and turn out nice first time around, many Pocher kits were poorly engineerd and overpriced for what you got. They take a lot of time to build and you certainly need to be an experienced model builder. At least in the USA, Pocher kits were mainly marketed to car enthusiasts in magazines like Road & Track, Automobile and Car and Driver so many were purchased by people with no model building experience thus many kits were started then abandoned. IMHO Pocher kits are best left to the collectors market as unbuilt kits. However, having said that, if you get the chance to build one, give it strong consideration, but also be prepared for a difficult build and correcting problems as they arise.

[

However, after that build and reading about other's experiences, I believe while some Pocher kits maybe indeed be well engineered and turn out nice first time around, many Pocher kits were poorly engineerd and overpriced for what you got. They take a lot of time to build and you certainly need to be an experienced model builder. At least in the USA, Pocher kits were mainly marketed to car enthusiasts in magazines like Road & Track, Automobile and Car and Driver so many were purchased by people with no model building experience thus many kits were started then abandoned. IMHO Pocher kits are best left to the collectors market as unbuilt kits. However, having said that, if you get the chance to build one, give it strong consideration, but also be prepared for a difficult build and correcting problems as they arise.

Hi Louiex2

I agree with what you are saying. Ive built the Testarossa too and it does take a lot of work just to get it to sit right and the to get the doors to open and close properly.

Apparently, the more 'modern' Pocher kits did suffer a bit from poor engineering, but the older stuff, although possibly over engineered, did seem to fit pretty well.

But i do agree with one thing, you really do need a fair bit of experience to build one.

Steve