Fokker D V111

stevehed

This is a conversion that used the Revell Fokker D V11 rather than the Dr1 I had previously seen used. I'd love to claim it as my own but truth is it was bought mail order many years ago. The wing has been cut out of the DV11 upper and had the ribs smoothed out. The fuselage was reduced in length and 10thou card added to the fuselage sides. The forward sections have the raised longeron impressed from the back. The upper decking has also had 10thou card laid over it to create the forward decking and cover over the engine cut outs of the DV11. It continued over the cockpit to give a better finish to the rear decking after the more inclined DV11 section has been filed flatter to match the DV111. The tail / rudder is from the kit, as are the struts and undercarriage, and the elevator was reshaped. The rotary engine looks like it came from an Airfix Camel and the cowling is from a Fokker Triplane. Way back then it went together very easily and received an all over dark green finish and some imaginary Jasta markings. I've always been quite fond of this model so it was decided it needed a makeover and more realistic markings. First step was to gently dismantle it, followed by a general clean up and some paint removal.

Regards, Steve

PICT0059.jpg

First job was to get the lozenge transfers out. It's Almark 4 colour and adhered to the glossy dark green without a hitch. A matt olive type green was concocted to cover up the engine panels and cowling and the struts and under cart got a covering as well. It was my intention to use it on the top wing but a chance encounter on the Great War in the Air forum changed my intentions. It appears that recent thinking has moved on from all olive wings to a brown and green upper and bluey colour and mauve under surface. There's a long thread on the Aerodrome that's quite convincing so I decided to adopt the new colours. The upper wing was taken back to the plastic on top and given a ply woodish colour. I'll wait until the paint is dry before posting the coloured stage.

Regards, Steve

Thanks Adrian,

Got as near a match to the colours as my paint box will allow. These are the tones suggested by the late Dan San Abbott. The upper green and brown are a bit wishy washy to try and create the streaky brush work of the Fokker works. The brown is Humbrol matt 160 plus thinner while the green is a single coat of Polyvine acrylic Emerald. Recent research suggests that the green is very susceptible to fading by sunlight so I've only applied one coat. The undersides have less thinner added as they wouldn't catch the sun as much. The mauve is Humbrol matt 64 grey with Humbrol 68 purple added while the blue is Humbrol matt 64 with Humbrol matt 25 blue added. The proportions were entirely trial and error and I make no claim that they are anything other than a poor replication.

PICT0064-1.jpg

PICT0072-2.jpg

Regards, Steve

Edited by stevehed

Thanks Will,

I'm getting to like the colours now but after 40 years believing the wing should be olive it took some getting used to. Been working so nothing done today but here's a small update. Got the wing on and most of the transfers. Lozenge is Almark 4 colour under surface lozenge. Not much more to do, just the undercart, the smaller struts and a tail skid and an overall paint touch up.

PICT0081-2.jpg

Cheers, Steve

All done now. Added a footstep and a couple of air pipes behind the engine. Otherwise re-built much as she came. Number positions are based on Dan San's profiles and the markings are generic simply representing a late 1918 DV111 or perhaps a 1919 Freikorp on the Eastern front. All in all an enjoyable four days.

PICT0083-2.jpg

PICT0084-1.jpg

PICT0085-2.jpg

Regards, Steve

Edited by stevehed

That's got to be one of the best you've done recently Steve. Looks like a great finish on it.

I didn't realize the Freikorps got hold of aircraft as well as armour. Are there any good books/websites about that? Sounds all very much in contravention of the armistice terms/Versailles!

regards,

Will

Thanks Will,

Thought it was time I rejuvenated some of the oldies in the collection and consider whether the rest had any conversion potential. With regard to the Freikorps the link may help. There's a couple of mentions of DVIII's and I think the Poles got theirs from abandoned German airfields. Wings Palette has some Polish profiles and if I'd some insignia I would've done a Polish aircraft.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/aircraft...s-aircraft.html

Regards, Steve