Rhodesian Spits

maudesman

Hi all again....

More questions abouts spits... For the future pending Airfix mk22's i have ordered, and hopefully build sometime with other projects waiting... Uhmmmm. Well thats the waffle, now the question.

Having browsed my collection of books, im confused. Not hard! LOL Im trying to confirm the colour of Rhodesian mk22 spits. Some say an overall painted aluminium, then in the mark 1 guide says a overall light gloss grey!

Can anyone confirm said colour of the spits...

Again hope not a topic already chewed over.... :-)

Hi all again....

More questions abouts spits... For the future pending Airfix mk22's i have ordered, and hopefully build sometime with other projects waiting... Uhmmmm. Well thats the waffle, now the question.

Having browsed my collection of books, im confused. Not hard! LOL Im trying to confirm the colour of Rhodesian mk22 spits. Some say an overall painted aluminium, then in the mark 1 guide says a overall light gloss grey!

Can anyone confirm said colour of the spits...

Again hope not a topic already chewed over.... :-)

Sorry peeps... Just me being lazy. Just looked and noticed older posts on the subject! Doh........ But still confused! LOL

or should it just be down to individual tastes? uhmmmm :-)

Howdy

Light Grey.... I was advised of, and tried, Tamiya Fine Grey Primer for the closest colour, nothing else, and it worked out fantastic...

:D

steve

Cheers steve..

I'll keep a note of that.... cheers again....

Mark

There's a photo in Spitfire International of a survivor on a plinth/pole in what appears to be Dark Earth/Dark Green with the Spear type roundels.

Getting hold of the Rhodesian markings could be problematical, unless you know someone with the AZ Spitfire 22 Egyptian/Rhodesian boxing and willing to part with the decals. Four Plus rereleased their book on the type with decals for Rhodesia too, but at £20 it's a bit pricey for a softback and some decals.

(Quote)

Getting hold of the Rhodesian markings could be problematical, unless you know someone with the AZ Spitfire 22 Egyptian/Rhodesian boxing and willing to part with the decals. Four Plus rereleased their book on the type with decals for Rhodesia too, but at £20 it's a bit pricey for a softback and some decals.

Hi Guys

No problem at all about the Rhodesian Decals...

try:

www.mavdecals.co.za - (they have just about everything that they flew)

or

www.aviationshop.co.za - they normally have a good selection on old Rhodesian and SAAF decals

(shameless plug of my local hangout)

Steve :D

No problem - I've a pair of the AZ Rhodesia/Egypt/Syria boxing :D

Hate to boast, but ive both the az mk 22 and the mark 1 guide with the decals.... :-) So have a few options...

I have seen the pic of the mk22 gate guardian, just wondering if that is just a paint job. Late Rhodesian Hunter etc style...

Hate to boast, but ive both the az mk 22 and the mark 1 guide with the decals.... :-) So have a few options...

I have seen the pic of the mk22 gate guardian, just wondering if that is just a paint job. Late Rhodesian Hunter etc style...

Sent you a PM, have some pics for you.

Steve

I'm tempted to do it anyway as a what if - I've the Spear style roundels somewhere - as that paint scheme would hide a few flaws. I've a quite a few older F22 kits to use up, including some Pegasus ones. Rockets and bombs against fractious tribemen?

I'm tempted to do it anyway as a what if - I've the Spear style roundels somewhere - as that paint scheme would hide a few flaws. I've a quite a few older F22 kits to use up, including some Pegasus ones. Rockets and bombs against fractious tribemen?

I know what you mean. My stash is a bit large now. so have many options! So far i have 3 new airfix kits on order! 1 x xtrakit mk22, and 2 az mk22/24, plus a cmr mk22/24 when i get a bit more experienced!

Is that enough i wonder??? Any answers well recieved! :-0

You can *never* have enough Spitfires! Not sure how many F22s I currently have, but it's considerable. :D

Edit: A quick back of an envelope reckoning gives me an estimate of 20 or more from various manufacturers, including the lovely Airkit Enterprises one. Their F21 is still my favourite resin kit.

In addition, I've a mould for a 20 series wing (I cloned the Ventura wing to convert the Airfix 19 to a 21) and with the spares left over from the AZ kits, I can cobble together another half dozen.

You can *never* have enough Spitfires! Not sure how many F22s I currently have, but it's considerable. :D

Edit: A quick back of an envelope reckoning gives me an estimate of 20 or more from various manufacturers, including the lovely Airkit Enterprises one. Their F21 is still my favourite resin kit.

In addition, I've a mould for a 20 series wing (I cloned the Ventura wing to convert the Airfix 19 to a 21) and with the spares left over from the AZ kits, I can cobble together another half dozen.

Uhmm Wooksta... i can only bow before the spitfire god! :-) I thinks i'll have to up my game a bit! Well when i get around to building the damn things! I keep picking up the boxes and wishing!

Oh i do have a few ventura seafire 47's, but they look a bit scary!Mite have to let them go, because they scare me! I think i was running before i could crawl! Plus a CMR 47, which looks a little less so. Well i hope not. As ive posted before im having a Griffon fix at the mo! LOL

Which CMR FR47 is it? They've done at least three to my knowlege and only the current one is right. I did the one they released in 96/97 last year as a Spitfire FR26*, because the wheel bulges were too small, being Spitfire 22 rather than FR47 and it had the F22 canopy too. Like another one if I can find one because it was an enjoyable build.

The Ventura kits look daunting, but once cleaned up and built carefully, they're very nice. Got a pair of Seafires to finish.

*I'm whiffing the Spitfire family at the moment - from the Supermarine 224 to the Attacker - so I've lots to play with.

*I'm whiffing the Spitfire family at the moment - from the Supermarine 224 to the Attacker - so I've lots to play with.

Any chances you could be persuaded (begged) to post some photos of the series?

Which CMR FR47 is it? They've done at least three to my knowlege and only the current one is right. I did the one they released in 96/97 last year as a Spitfire FR26*, because the wheel bulges were too small, being Spitfire 22 rather than FR47 and it had the F22 canopy too. Like another one if I can find one because it was an enjoyable build.

The Ventura kits look daunting, but once cleaned up and built carefully, they're very nice. Got a pair of Seafires to finish.

I only got a few months ago from modelhobbies, so it must be the later issue of the kit. It does look a nice kit, thats why i will only attempt once in the swing of things. Unless big old Airfix, beat me to it, release the 47. Or MPM release the kit, which test shots have been on this site! only time will see :-)

With the venutra will deffo be last, if i will try them!

Ive been building up a FAA theme, so a attacker will be in there too, along with sea fury and wyvern etc.......

You certainly have your hands full then, doing the whole supermarine theme......

Just a thought, but in theory if you take the wings from an F.22 and match them to a PR.XIX fuselage, are you most of the way to an F.21?

Then with the spare fuselage and wings can you be in the ball park for a low back XIV or 18........?

Trevor

Just a thought, but in theory if you take the wings from an F.22 and match them to a PR.XIX fuselage, are you most of the way to an F.21?

Then with the spare fuselage and wings can you be in the ball park for a low back XIV or 18........?

Trevor

I wondered the same with the spare fuselages you get with the az/admrial kits. If i remember the viv and viii kits have spares....

Edited by maudesman

Trevor

No theory about it. The new Airfix 22 will cross kit with the XIX. Did some playing wih a test shot at Huddersfield a while back. If you then take the wings from the IX, a 3D IXe conversion and a Freightdog XVIII tail, you've got an XVIII. With what's left, you can do a PRXI.