HMS Valiant 1944(350th)

I`ve made good progess since the last update.Two-thirds of the single 20mms have been attached,I`m using Tamiya ones from their KGV kit ,to me they are the best representations of 20mms in plastic there are,very user freindly!

The boats have been placed in their new locations,all these were included in the kit.

Cheers Phil

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Not being too familiar with ships of this size I am wondering what the brown tube like items are that appear in a horizontal orientation along the hull and superstructure and at one place in a diagonal orientation on the superstructure. Conduits for electrics? Water drains? Flagpoles?

Hi ejboyd5.

I expect Phil will explain in Detail, but they are boom hausts, for lifting items aboard a ship like ammunition stores etc, when extended they are like a crane.

Most ships of olde carried thease.

:smartass:

Thanks phil for the EZ explanation, will have to get some. :speak_cool:

Yup, foxy is absolutely right ,those brown "tubes" are wooden booms ,which were highly polished wood .The ones on the hull sides swung out when the ship was anchored to provide mooring for the ships boats.

The 4.5" turrets have been completed, the tops of these turrets were painted the same blue as the panel on the hull ,(Thinks- Wonder if Trumpy are planning to produce a 350th Illustrious carrier,they had the same turrets? Just a thought).Next up are the big guns .

Cheers Phil

DSCN1816.jpg

DSCN1817.jpg

Phil, the one man shipyard. This is looking good, how are you finding the kit, sometimes Trumpeter models can be a bit hit and miss fit wise?

Richard

Richard,in a word ,Perfect! I have so far encountered no fit problems what so ever.

Cheers Phil

Richard,in a word ,Perfect! I have so far encountered no fit problems what so ever.

Cheers Phil

That's good, I'll probably get one myself. I hope they continue like that for the type 23 and the Tribal class destroyer.

Richard

I made my own radar aerials for the four AA directors.The PE aerials included in the kit are totally useless ,they are that flimsy they go out of shape when removing them from the fret.So I replaced them with some made from stretched sprue and thin plastic rod.not perfect ,but a darn sight better the PE.The 15" turrets are almost done B and X turrets had tubs for twim 20mm,as per the QE,but on the Valiant A and Y turrets had platforms for 2 x single 20mms ,I`m in the process of making these at the moment.

Just the masts to do not forgetting that Valiant had a pole main mast (aft) unlike QE which had a tripod mast.When these are done I will attempt to rig them with the E-Z line ,I will post the result later.

Cheers Phil

DSCN1820.jpg

DSCN1821.jpg

DSCN1822.jpg

Youre Valiant comes along nicely ,well done Phil.

The radars aerial look a little bit over sized but it s okay and the final effect is very good.

Very good job.

See you soon Rémy

The basic model has been finished ,and time to start the rigging.I chose to do the signal lines first using the rope coloured EZ Line ,but it didn`t work out as I hoped,so I reverted to my Stretch-sprue method.However EZ came into its own when I did the standing rigging . The six wires between the masts were easy to do,the trick is not to put too much tension on the line as it will make lines previously attached go slack ,and it had a habit of springing back like a bit of knicker elastic and going into loops .The stays on the masts were even easier to do,just cut off a suitable length,and anchor it at the point you require,then thread the line over the mast ,and anchor it on the opposite side,and cut off the excess,dead easy ,and works much better the sprue .Just a couple more to do,then the deck railing ,Flags ,and fellas.

See you on RFI.

So long Phil

DSCN1823.jpg

RSCN1825.jpg

RSCN1827.jpg

That looks fantastic Phil.

I hope mine comes up to scratch when I do this, Its nice to have such info on your builds that can be followed so easy, 'till you come to do it that is' :rolleyes:

:speak_cool: