HMS Valiant 1944(350th)

The aft deckhouse is assumimg the cluttered look of the orginial,most of the major bits have been done ,The 20mm tub on the gun director stands proud of the director ,so i filled in the hole and stood the tub on 4 small pieces of plastic square to raise it slightly .No less than 7 x20mm are mounted on the roof of the deckhouse ,I might be able to squeeze all of them in!!

I made the funnel ,it benefits from some extra detailing ,and Valiant didn`t have the two carley floats on either side of the funnel,so the location holes have been filled in.The PE for the funnel grill is just about the flimsest I`ve ever come across ,it curled up like a bit of lettuce at the slightest excuse,so I discarded it ,and replaced it with some bits of stretched sprue.I`ve added a circular exaust inside the funnel to show slightly above the funnel opening.

I`m not looking forward to making the Gunnery Radar aerials with the kit PE,I may end up making them myself as per my Renown.

Cheers for now Phil

DSCN1794.jpg

DSCN1791.jpg

DSCN1795.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

Phil!

Thumbs up!

You have undoubtedly tagged me to begin making water diorama. Have made several such dioramas, but find it hard to get it to resemble the reality. Iscchhhh, just to begin with it ... (sancte Spiritus)

Regards

The funnel has been painted and fixed to the deck,I`ve added several pieces of PE railings and ladders from left-overs .Valiant had two Pom-Pom directors on top of the hanger,alongside the cranes.After looking at the photo,I think the front of the director tubs were flat ,so as not to foul the cranes ,anyway I use some tubs with flat fronts leftover from the Repulse builds

Cheers Phil

DSCN1798.jpg

RSCN1797.jpg

The focus has shifted to the Bridge structure.As far as I can see the the basic shape is identical to that of the QE.The only differences I`ve spotted so far is that the Valiant had some oblong "things" beneath the square viewing ports half way up the structure .I just added some oblongs of square plastic rod to simulate these.The other minor difference is the front area,just below the compass platform this only has two portholes,and no other details there,with no raised detail for the ships badge.Away here`s some pics.

Cheers Phil

DSCN1803.jpg

DSCN1808.jpg

DSCN1800.jpg

The area concerned enlarged on my PC,and photographed,turned out better than I thought!

Edited by Phil Reeder

Did they have window boxes on battleships? ;) No, oh well.:unsure: Thats looking pretty smart Phil, I've always like the QE & Valiant, even though Warspite was always a sentimental favourite I reckon the deletion of the side 6" guns in favour of the 5.5" turrets gave them a better balanced look. Your work is really bringing this out & the colour schemes really make them come alive after a lifetime of looking at b&w photos.

Steve.

I`ve done a bit of back-traking on the upper bridge area.After studying the photograph numerous times,I evenually twigged what the difference between the QE and Valiant was.So to get my head round it ,I copied the Profile Morskie plans for that area ,and drew where the differences lay,I`ve attached a copy of it ,and I hope you can understand it.

The main part of the bridge is done,and I`m going to start adding the 20mms that inhabited that part.

Cheers Phil

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

Very nice and clean buld Phil, as usual.

Just got my KA wooden decks for my Revell Bismarck, now if only the weather would stop being so nice so I could start working on that instead of all the home stuff.

Staffan

i was looking through RA Burts battleships and with a bit of google i couldn't find anything on those extra bits under the portholes. HMS Nelson and Rodney have similar bits and bobs on their towers, but that was because of problems with air disturbance on the towers, maybe the same issue with valiant? Although QE and warsprite didnt have them their towers especially in warsprite's case were different

I`ve made good progess since the last update.Two-thirds of the single 20mms have been attached,I`m using Tamiya ones from their KGV kit ,to me they are the best representations of 20mms in plastic there are,very user freindly!

The boats have been placed in their new locations,all these were included in the kit.

Cheers Phil

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Phil,

Do my old eyes deceive me or am I seeing PE ammunition on the four Pom-Poms, if it is PE can you tell me what the source you used to get them is?

Roger

Hi Roger,

No its not PE ,its Vallejo Brass paint,looks quite effective.You know me ,I try to avoid PE if at all possible!!

Cheers Phil

Because I haven`t any PE cranes ,I decided to use the kit ones.I`m glad I did ,they are not too bad,and a lot easier to put together! For the cables I tried something new E-Z line,this is used by US railroad modellers for telegraph lines,it is elasticated ,and stretches to 700%.Whats more it just loves thin CA,and is an almost instant bond.You cannot use PVA glues with it doesn`t like it!I got mine from Little-Cars and I`ve got rope coloured and black

Cheers Phil

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0004-2.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder