RAF bomber wheel chock color?

cropredy

I was wondering if anyone knew what colors to paint the wheel chocks as might be seen on an RAF Bomber airfield in 1942-43? In my case, I'm doing a diorama of the lamented Armstrong Whitworth Albemarle for my uncle-in-law who built the plane during the war.

The chocks are the ones from Flightpath - RAF/USAAF Airfield dispersal set (1/72)

The chock design shows what appear to be slats running horizontally on the angled surfaces that would go against the tire.

Thanks!

I don't think there's a standard colour. A quick look through "The RAF of WW2 in Colour" shows quite a few in dirty yellow but others are black or a mixture of what might be red primer and black. Whatever colour you paint them they need to be very scruffy looking.

A quick peek through my refs shows black/dark grey, yellow, a dark green, white with the aircraft letter in black, a couple that look like natural wood and some more that best be discribed as " dirt". Some a/c had two different coloured chocks.

The choice is all yours.

Chris.

I forgot to add that some looked like a solid piece of timber, other built from wooden slats and others seem to be welded metal tubing.

Edited by dogsbody