Black Buck 6

I intend to do the Black Buck mission that nearly ended in the South Atlantic sea BB6

XM597 attacked some radar sites on the Falklands using Shrike missiles and on the way back to Accension

broke the refueling probe tip and had to divert to the nearest airfield -Rio.

She will be rescribed and armed with a single Shrike on scratched carriers.

Hope it turns out as good as I can see her in my minds eye.

7003457452_9e5785456f_c.jpg

xxx 003 by aaron hughes1, on Flickr

Good choice

She sits outside at East Fortune and I hope to get down there either this weekend or next to take some pics of their Mig 15 - anything you might want a camera pointed at while I am there?

regards

JohnT

great stuff and i really need to appologise to you as ive still not got around to posting your parcel yet with those spare parts im often slow but not this slow, its all due to life being turned upside down since the first of jan, grandad having heart attack and being in hospital arranging care for him getting a new job getting old car fixed getting new car getting that fixed all sorts of other stuff but i will post it soon, all the best rob and i look forward to seeing this build one of my fave vulcans.

cheers rob

I used to find that bit quite relaxing after a days driving - a bit like sitting in a corner nodding with your 'security blanket' !!

I find painting 18 wheels a right pain, first one side of the wheels - leave to dry; Then the other side of the wheels - leave to dry; Then the tyres, later after

suitably located flats have been sanded on another touch up of tyre paint. It takes me about a week to do that .............

'V'

• 2 weeks later...

While the Queen enjoying her day I was enjoying mine.

Rescribed and attached both wings just a slight joint to fill

Pictures when shes all together

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Made a start on the painting, the undersides were given a coat of Humbroll Dark sea grey 164.

The Top side was first coated in Humbroll Medium sea Grey 165 lightened with 30% matt white

to give that faded look the Vulcans wore in the 80s, then randomly lightened and darkened to give a patchy look

7468001372_4a57f93748_z.jpg

a9 by aaron hughes1, on Flickr

Then out with the Blu-tack and poundland masking tape and Xtracolor X1 Dark Green.

I thin my enamels with celulose thinners as I find this makes them spray like silk.

The Humbroll paints go a satin finish but the Xtracolor go really , really glossy- nice !

7468001386_9e9eb33b20_z.jpg

a10 by aaron hughes1, on Flickr

Just a few more hours with the Blu-tack and tape to go

• Like 1

7468001386_9e9eb33b20_z.jpg

You know how easy it is to overlook the blindingly obvious? Until this photo hit me between the eyes it had never occurred to me to mask and spray camouflage piecemeal like this. I've always masked the whole thing then sprayed it. Sometimes that's efficient but it is often a pain, leaving nowhere to hold onto for one thing. I guess my fixed idea originally came from my reluctance to clean the airbrush several times over but this little picture has opened up new worlds of possibilities for me. :)

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem
  • Like 1

When youve got 2 kids under 5 smashing the house to bits you aint got a lot of time

to dedicate to our hobby, thats why I do it a little bit at a time usually after theyve gone to bed.

Plus I find if I spray the whole thing silly mistakes happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Started to paint the touched up parts on 579

7576217028_3b706214fa_z.jpg

a13 by aaron hughes1, on Flickr

Knocked back the Lincoln crest , 597s were painted MSG over the white areas where as 607 had hers painted over altogether

7576217194_1bab7ca6c5_z.jpg

a14 by aaron hughes1, on Flickr

Yeah turned out well

7576217346_d753f90a80_z.jpg

a15 by aaron hughes1, on Flickr

7576217508_358f63f062_z.jpg

a16 by aaron hughes1, on Flickr

Decals next

• Like 1